Maserati Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I prepare to install the FD sport springs on my '02 Coupe, I'm thinking I should also replace these bushings which are thought to be responsible for the "metal to metal" clunk some of us hear when traversing small bumps. Would somebody be so kind as to identify the exact part(s) I need i.e. the bushings themselves, and anything else that will require replacement in the process? I've checked the Eurospares diagrams but I feel a bit lost in looking at them. Is Eurospares the default O.E.M. part source even for those of us in the States? Also, is anybody interested in contacting an aftermarket manufacturer in order to create a better replacement, as suggested by GrndLkNtv? I would do it, but I'm not familiar with bushing design and manufacture. I think all of our cars will eventually need this repair.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guys, I really need help with this....

Does anybody know what part these bushings actually are?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I will go digging in the morning for you and get

the part numbers from Eurospares.... I will do it on my coffee break...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You need to go here...

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?M=3&Mo=380&A=1&B=20162&S=

and here

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partsListing.asp?M=3&Mo=380&A=1&B=20162&S=&ID4=878994

and here

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partsListing.asp?M=3&Mo=380&A=1&B=20162&S=&ID4=879016

Part numbers are 878994 and 879016, you need 2 of each for each arm... I would contact Europares directly and have them make sure they are for your car as these are for my 2002...

http://www.eurospares.co.uk/index.asp

Have the mechanic save the old ones once you they are replaced and then send them to the place I listed in my previous thread and they can make Urethane versions for about 1/10 the cost and Jeff @ formula dynamics could sell them along with springs all in the same kit....

·
Registered
491 Posts
Sounds like good idea!

I'd like to see option for a "softer" version of poly bushings such as those purple ones or yellow ones from powerflex.

And no, they do not currently have bushings for our cars yet...

jess

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe I should wait?

Thanks so much Grank Lake Native, I really appreciate your research. Do you think I should hold off given the possibility of an interchangeable and better part? Has anybody had these replaced to date? Frankly, I don't know that mine are worn, but considering my car is s a 2002 and I get that "clunk" from the rear end, I'm assuming they are.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Clunk...

If you are getting a dead thunk, and not a metal to metal clunk, then chances are you are okay.... All you have do to is look under the car to see how rotted out the bushings are.... They are either in decent shape or they are cracked, etc.. Mine are cracked but still in place okay.. In the next year or so I will be replacing mine...

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
Thanks so much Grank Lake Native, I really appreciate your research. Do you think I should hold off given the possibility of an interchangeable and better part? Has anybody had these replaced to date? Frankly, I don't know that mine are worn, but considering my car is s a 2002 and I get that "clunk" from the rear end, I'm assuming they are.
I'm getting ready to order the FD springs and this has me thinking as well . . . I have an '02 as well and think it would be a good idea to change them out while the suspension is dropped.

Would love to know if there is a better alternative to stock.

Anyone ?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Currently...

there is nothing other than the stock bushings from what I know and have heard. I am sure there are many places out there that would be more than willing to make a replacement if we just had an old set of bushing to send to them...

Ali could set up a group buy with the vendor and we'd all be set!

Anyone here who has had them replaced and kept the old bushings??? Or had the dealer replace the entire arm and received the suspension arm with the bushings back?

·
Registered
280 Posts
What is the "telltale sign" that they need replacing?

Keeo hearing that Maserati wants you to buy the whole assembly; and its too costly so what do I look for or feel when it's time?

·
Registered
152 Posts
was just checking to see if anyone has taken the initiative to get urethane bushings made. Looks like there are just 2 different sizes (32 and 33 GBP each!) and could buy 1 of each (65 GBP) to use as template and having a full set made for less than the cost of buying 4 of each from eurospares.

grndlknatv, do we need 4 of each size?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I haven't had a chance to look yet...

So let me get a look this weekend under the car to see if we need 2 of each or all 4... I am thinking a upper and a lower should do it but I need to verify. Jeff from Forumla Dynamics could tell us.. Jeff are you here today?

If we only need two, I would contact one of those bushing places and ask them what it costs to make a set, I bet it's cheap...

I think you could even get Eurospares to give you the measurements of the bushing or have the bushing maker call Eurospares directly, that way Eurospares could start selling them if nobody else was interested....

Anyway, I will be under the car on Saturday, will let you know. Would do it earlier but we just got back from Holiday and I have some plumbing and a garage door opener to replace first! : - )

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks.

was at the shop and looked under the car and saw the bushings and noticed that they might not have too much life left.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a set of front and rear lower coilover bushings, the fronts are pretty easy to change, the rears require a special jig. The "telltale" indication that they are bad is ...
1-raise the car
2-push directly up from under the center of the tire with your shoulder
3-if the bushings are bad you will see/feel a small amount of play going up.
I don't think you can physically see that they are bad.
The stock bushings are pretty robust and I don't see a need for an aftermarket equivalent. We ran the same bushings in the Ferrari challenge and NEVER had a bushing failure. However they do fail over time from rough roads, usually the fronts show signs of wear. I do recommend replacing front/rear lower bushings when installing Jeffs' sport springs on higher mileage cars (30k+). For that matter it is a good idea to change all the rubber on the coilovers with new springs.
I am currently putting together a power point on install Formula dynamics springs and I also cover the bushings. I will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Kent!

Thanks!!! You are very helpful here, wish you were in Colorado! Let us know when it's done..

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have alot of Maserati knowledge in my head and if I don't share it, I will forget it. So this forum provides me with a mental tool to exercise my brain.
And I want to keep these cars on the road, If Maserati leaves the US market again, they will never get another shot here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts