Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning ladies and Gentlemen.
I got my GT just 2 weeks ago,its a 2014 with 28k miles on the clock.
It was dealer serviced when the previous owner had it with service records.

I am doing every service possible that i can, because i refuse to allow the dealer to screw me without a lube 馃榿馃ぃ
Ooo, and i found forgotten mechanic gloves under the black engine cowl.

Anyway, for now i did the oil change first with air filter and cabin filter.
I used OEM oil filter and 5w40 Liqui Moly oil.

2nd i flushed the power steering fluid and 3rd, yesterday i did the rear diff fluid and man that thing was dirty and black, i dont think was ever replaced.
Car ramps were low so a bit of fluid leaked out from the fill plug, so then i raised it up a bit more for the filling with new fluid.
For rear diff oil i used 75w140 Liqui Moly. It took about 1.1L
Here are some pictures.
Purple Blue Azure Glove Fluid
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread
Tin Automotive tire Blue Fluid Drink

And change your diff oil more often, its cheap and piece of mind.
Purple Blue Azure Glove Fluid
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread
Tin Automotive tire Blue Fluid Drink
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant
Vehicle Hood Car Automotive lighting Bumper

Registered
Good work. I seem to recall reading here some members said they used 2L and others 3L for the differential. You mentioned 1.1 L. Perhaps I mis-remembered.
Did you need a new crush washer for the differential oil change?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good work. I seem to recall reading here some members said they used 2L and others 3L for the differential. You mentioned 1.1 L. Perhaps I mis-remembered.
Did you need a new crush washer for the differential oil change?
There is no way in the world that small rear differential gearbox can fit 2 or 3 liters.

They must have talked about the manual transmission gearbox, that should take around 3 liters of fluid.

I re-used the old ones.
Fluid was never changed.

Registered
Good Morning ladies and Gentlemen.
I got my GT just 2 weeks ago,its a 2014 with 28k miles on the clock.
It was dealer serviced when the previous owner had it with service records.

I am doing every service possible that i can, because i refuse to allow the dealer to screw me without a lube 馃榿馃ぃ
Ooo, and i found forgotten mechanic gloves under the black engine cowl.

Anyway, for now i did the oil change first with air filter and cabin filter.
I used OEM oil filter and 5w40 Liqui Moly oil.

2nd i flushed the power steering fluid and 3rd, yesterday i did the rear diff fluid and man that thing was dirty and black, i dont think was ever replaced.
Car ramps were low so a bit of fluid leaked out from the fill plug, so then i raised it up a bit more for the filling with new fluid.
For rear diff oil i used 75w140 Liqui Moly. It took about 1.1L
Here are some pictures. View attachment 144757 View attachment 144758 View attachment 144759
And change your diff oil more often, its cheap and piece of mind. View attachment 144757 View attachment 144758 View attachment 144759 View attachment 144762 View attachment 144763
I change it every 30-35k, that's a good interval. And that stuff turns black after only a couple hundred miles, so...

Registered
Yeah, it was black.
But also, you have to consider the age too.
Mine is a 2014.
To clarify, for the sake of info/those who are changing it for the first time...just because the differential fluid is black doesn't necessarily means its bad. The differential fluid just goes black really fast. (y)

Registered
2009 Quattroporte Executive GT
I recently did rear axle fluid on all 3 of my cars, maserati was honestly simplest and also the dirtiest. Durango a real pain, it's no longer a fill till spill, you need to make a wire dipstick and measure down 1 inch not to mention drain requires removal of the cover and a new gasket. Mercedes s class wasn't difficult but getting the right oil is a pain, mail order or dealer only

Registered
The factory fill on that differential had a Molly additive and it was always black. I have found there will be some minor noise from differential especially on hard engine braking after you service it with conventional. Its not detrimental and does not seam to affect the life of the differentials. make sure you are also using a limited slip additive if it is not in the oil.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To clarify, for the sake of info/those who are changing it for the first time...just because the differential fluid is black doesn't necessarily means its bad. The differential fluid just goes black really fast. (y)
You are very very wrong on that and i will tell you why, from personal experience.
I have changed rear differential fluids on many different vehicles.
Many were with much more miles than the GT.
And they where nowhere near this black.
2012 Ram 1500 Hemi at 65k miles, rear differential fluid was just brown.
2015 Ram 1500 at 50k miles fluid was almost clean.
2004 Mercedes S class, at 100k miles, dark brown.
2000 bmw 740 at 130k miles black
2006 Volvo Semi truck at 350k miles,fluid was brown.

So, the diff fluid should not become black very quick.
Changing it more often for less then 50 bucks its a great piece of mind.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The factory fill on that differential had a Molly additive and it was always black. I have found there will be some minor noise from differential especially on hard engine braking after you service it with conventional. Its not detrimental and does not seam to affect the life of the differentials. make sure you are also using a limited slip additive if it is not in the oil.
We have LSD rear differential????

Registered
Peace of mind, that's it exactly, many people simply overlook differential but I have had rears go bad in cars many years ago. So yes, peace of mind馃榾馃榾馃榾

Registered
Valvoline has a synthetic 75 140 with additives for limited slip, available at autozone or advance for less than 20 dollars. Best thing about it is container, flexible plastic bag, very simple to empty into any differential fill hole at any angle, much easier than a bottle

1 - 20 of 29 Posts