Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've just sold my 308GTS and am preparing to part with my 325CI. I need one car to replace these two and am seriously contemplating a used Spyder. I've read alot of the very useful information in these forums and feel that I have a pretty good idea of what to expect with one of these beautiful vehicles. (Heck, I did have a Ferrari for some time!). But, this will be my one and only ride so it has to be reasonably reliable... year round! Our winters in Northern Virginia are pretty mild so I don't anticipate too many problems with that. I was just curious as to how many of you guys and gals use their car as their daily driver. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I got my spyder 8 months ago and so far have only put 4000 miles on it. I haven't been driving as much as I wanted to due to the road conditions (thousands of pot holes here on the streets of LA) and traffic. It's a fun car to drive and I would use it as a daily driver if I could put my foot on the gas pedal all the time. Yet with gas at three dollars a gallon, buses will soon replace my v8. Not that it will ever happend :lol:

Get the fine machine as long as you don't expect both sat/nav and cdc to be your best friends :twisted:

·
Registered
242 Posts
hehe, Haha thats funny. I agree, they are the only true dissapointments with this car. Otherwise, it is a gentleman's Ferrari with a splash of civility and reliability.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't really use my GS as a daily driver but it feels like it could be.

Only concern I would have (and this could just be my area, S. Florida) the service depts at the two dealers are great but they tend to be busy and take their time to work on these machines...

So you may have a few days downtime here and there, there are always rentals / loaners.

·
Registered
151 Posts
There is the same discussion going on in the Ferrarichat website. And U just have to take it from the owners that they are indeed daily drivers. I have a GS and use it everyday. No down time. And I guess its coz the car is driven everyday. The problem always arised when a car sits and is not used.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I use mine as a daily driver, and have just under 22,000 miles. Just as reliable as the Jag XK8 I had before.
Service is an issue, since dealerships aren't close and I have to be able to give up my car for 3-5 days when service is needed (~1 time per year or so). This is the same whether its a daily driver or not, but if you rely on it as a daily driver it's a bigger deal.
Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
haha said:
I got my spyder 8 months ago and so far have only put 4000 miles on it. I haven't been driving as much as I wanted to due to the road conditions (thousands of pot holes here on the streets of LA) and traffic. It's a fun car to drive and I would use it as a daily driver if I could put my foot on the gas pedal all the time. Yet with gas at three dollars a gallon, buses will soon replace my v8. Not that it will ever happend :lol:

Get the fine machine as long as you don't expect both sat/nav and cdc to be your best friends :twisted:
Pah try living in the uk with 90+pence per litre = 7 or 8 bucks a gallon :(

Dave

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Mine is a daily driver thus far. And loving every minute of it. Took the Maser on its first road trip. About 250 miles each way, and discovered that this beast has as impressive a 60-100 time as it does a 0-60 time. Plus, the V8 roar when you're passing helps clear a path...

I will also agree that the Nav system and radio are utter and complete pieces o'junk. I get no AM radio at all, the CD player is flaky at best, and the Nav system is downright "wrong" most of the time. North, South, whatever. Close enough. :roll: Even with the Nav Off, that intrusive British lass keeps mouthing off now and then. I'm growing to dislike her. :wink:

But, I don't really mind, 'cuz that's not what I bought it for. That said, I'd love to either make the sound system work or replace it with something that does. It really is garbage (not the sound per se, just the operation and the radio reception).

I'll let the dealer have a crack at the AM radio - if they can fix that up, I'll leave it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
David A said:
Pah try living in the uk with 90+pence per litre = 7 or 8 bucks a gallon :(

Dave
Too true! A UK Gallon is 4.54 litres, and pump prices are now averaging over 90p/litre... which works out just over £4/gallon. The US Gallon is 3.785L so that would be £3.41, or roughtly $6.15 per US gallon at today's forex rates.

Driving a Maserati does not make sense if you look at Total Cost of Ownership :wink:

... and don't even get me started on servicing costs, or the price of an official extended warranty from Maserati (£1,900 pa, nearly $3,500!)

Ewan

PS. Mine is a daily driver and seems OK mechanically, though the electrical systems are "fragile" at best. My advice is - if you test drive a car, and there are any glitches with the electrics - mirrors not moving, reversing sensors/light not coming on, any warnings on the dash etc etc - then walk away!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Ewan

the extended warranty you arr speaking about, is this the one that was talked about coming out at the end of the year? the 1 year extended on top of the factory one??

I've been waiting to hear about the cost here in the US, as I do not plan to keep the car out of a warranty due to the huge potential downside

·
Registered
41 Posts
demoe said:
Ewan

the extended warranty you arr speaking about, is this the one that was talked about coming out at the end of the year? the 1 year extended on top of the factory one??

I've been waiting to hear about the cost here in the US, as I do not plan to keep the car out of a warranty due to the huge potential downside
It is, I believe. When I bought my car I was told there would be the option of extending the warranty after the factory warranty expired (since Europe has a 3yr warranty, maybe this hit us first).

rgds
Ewan

·
Registered
255 Posts
I can confirm that the one year maserati warranty extension in the UK has been quoted to me at £1900.
However Maserati have been trying to arrange paperwork on this for months now and still have not produced anything. I am verbally assured by my dealer that my car is considered to be "under warranty" - but I hope I do not have to test this!
I also wonder whether I will be expected to pay for a back-dated warranty if/when the paperwork arrives (three year UK warranty ended in June!)
Has anyone else been quoted and/or managed to sign-up?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
11 Participants
barbuckle
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing