Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing around with some off-the-shelf low cost ELM327 based OBD tools (literally a $25 Bluetooth dongle) seeing if I could successfully connect to the some of the computers on these cars.

I've been successful in reading and decoding what I believe to be the engine coolant temperature on the ECU (note this isn't via the standard OBD method, but rather customer parameters), and the F1 hydraulic pressure on the gearbox.

I wanted to document some of these while I try and build out a open-source in-dash monitoring system showing me vitals on these cars for suggestions and input.

Reading the ECU and Gearbox Computer

4,116 Posts
Unfortunately, having data or parameters that are inaccurate or questionable is even worse than having none at all...It just leads you down the wrong road when it comes to diagnosing stuff on a car....Jason

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What makes you believe they will be inaccurate or questionable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4,116 Posts
You answered this in your post...It cost 10 bucks and you need to translate the data...No thanks...I have one and it is fine for clearing a check engine light IMO...Jason

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Was able to make some reasonable progress and got a small prototype going.

More photos/video on this page:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Unfortunately, having data or parameters that are inaccurate or questionable is even worse than having none at all...It just leads you down the wrong road when it comes to diagnosing stuff on a car....Jason
The data is read directly off the CANBUS, it can't be inaccurate in the reading phase. If the sensor is faulty, sure, but you'll encounter the same issue on a $20k factory tool or a $5 bluetooth dongle.

"Translating" data isn't a guess either, it is absolute. He is reading the machine code out, and then writing a calculator that turns it into human numbers. As the joke goes, there are 10 types of people in the world. Those who can read binary and those who can't. 10 is binary for 2 in decimal.

There are a lot of defective at design issues with these cars, anyone solving and sharing information is to be encouraged if we want to keep them running.

4,116 Posts
You guys obviously have a background into that kinda stuff and enjoy messing with as a hobby...For most folks, they simply want to plug a scan tool into the car and read the faults and see the data..I know that is what I want to do....It is pretty creative so I'm not knocking it in the least in that regard...Jason

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tulit, what you are doing is great and very exciting. Ignore the doubtful and follow your passion. You have my full support and encouragement here.

4,116 Posts
Tulit, what you are doing is great and very exciting. Ignore the doubtful and follow your passion. You have my full support and encouragement here.
Oh please...I simply said the data needed to be accurate or it wasn't useful....The drama is not needed.....Jason

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
All good everyone! As Jason says this isn’t for everyone- it’s for the tinkerers. I was mainly curious if I could decode the OBD PIDs for the gearbox. That said, I’m confident in the validity of the data after comparing to some other tools.

I think some interesting things will come out of it that aren’t available with the factory scan tools/etc. One of the things I have done now is health monitoring of the F1 system. By passively monitoring cycle times, and times between those cycles it should be possible to catch certain failures early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yeah that bugged me. As I've learnt more about the diagnostics, it has become quite apparent that a lot of the issues never needed to happen. Why do we manually need to monitor the cycle times when that is all logged in the software? Or the SV leakage? Those should've thrown OBD codes so the car would run but have a dash alert.

Another function that would be super useful would be mileage validation. The TCU stores mileage travelled in any given gear, so if you add it all up it should validate the odometer. These cars are chronically wound back, especially in Australia where they're all imports.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't believe the Maserati's store the mileage information. I haven't been able to find it on any of the PIDs (only the cycle counts are stored). Even on my Launch they don't show up for my GS (but work fine on ferrari)

·
Registered
232 Posts
It would be a bit long winded - but since you know the gear ratios, final drive and rolling diameter, you can directly resolve mileage from the cycle count in a given gear.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry cycle count being number of engagements into that gear (which I have). Unfortunately though, there's no way to know how long you spent on each gear.

·
Super Moderator
4,309 Posts
I don't believe the Maserati's store the mileage information. I haven't been able to find it on any of the PIDs (only the cycle counts are stored). Even on my Launch they don't show up for my GS (but work fine on ferrari)
I thought it was stored in the gearbox ECU as well.

C

·
Registered
32 Posts
Speaking of the odometer, I think the 4200 were the last cars to ever have an analog odometer, even the pre historic crown vic had a digital one.

Thats not to say that digital odometers cant be rolled back, I’ve seen a car on a lot with a certain number on the dash, and a much higher number on the inner door for recommended oil change that the seller forgot to remove.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's definitely stored on the Granturismo. I have a print out when my car was serviced as to the total mileage in each gear.

Sent from my BBF100-1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts