Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a number of posts on the regular problem where the mirror adjustment knob gets disconnected. Mine ( 2015 GranTurismo convertible) has broken loose. The electronic work but almost impossible to adjust the mirrors. The question: as there is a lot of experience with this problem. Do you need to remove the door panel to repair/replace? There is a plastic ring around the control knob and wondering if that pops off to repair replace or do you need to remove the panel.

5,566 Posts
The mirror switch is the worst part on the car...It has been a while, but best I remember you can pop the ring out and the switch is attached to the ring bezel.....Jason

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
The mirror switch broke on our 2013 while it was covered under the Maserati CPO warranty. Maserati refused to fix it, claiming the switch is a "wear item" and the dealership quoted me $895 to fix it...utter BS! I used two drops of Super Glue gel and it's worked perfectly since the "repair".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks JW, I considered that and certainly won’t pay 1,000 dollars to fix it. I see the part sells for $80 and if I don’t have to take the door apart ( the ring is held on with clips to allow access to mounting screws) I’ll replace it. Although it is difficult/impossible to find manuals for the car

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks JW, I considered that and certainly won’t pay 1,000 dollars to fix it. I see the part sells for $80 and if I don’t have to take the door apart ( the ring is held on with clips to allow access to mounting screws) I’ll replace it. Although it is difficult/impossible to find manuals for the car
I have seen a number of posts on the regular problem where the mirror adjustment knob gets disconnected. Mine ( 2015 GranTurismo convertible) has broken loose. The electronic work but almost impossible to adjust the mirrors. The question: as there is a lot of experience with this problem. Do you need to remove the door panel to repair/replace? There is a plastic ring around the control knob and wondering if that pops off to repair replace or do you need to remove the panel.
Just an update on this problem:
The ring does pop out as it is held with two clips and the control know is mounted to the ring with two screws. Unfortunately for me, what is broken off are both screw mounts on the plastic ring ( a truly inferior component on a car like this) they are so thin it wouldn’t take too much pressure on the control knob to break the mounts off the ring.

now to try and find a new beige ( color of the interior) ring!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
try my tie-wrap fix...

mirror switch 1.jpg
mirror switch 2.jpg
mirror switch 3.jpg
mirror switch 4.jpg

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
That’s genius. Wish I’d seen the post before I super glued mine haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
22 Posts
Took 5 minutes, popped out like Timado said. I bought an $8 trim kit on Amazon. Pop it out from the left or right side. I thought I would have to work it out, but once one of those spring clips are free of the door panel, it pops right out. The two screws were taken out of the back side of the trim plate (is also the mounting plate), switch removed. There is a rotating band that holds the harness in. With your thumb, just rotate it back. Pull out the harness connector. Screw the new switch into the trim plate, which also has the spring clips attached to it that holds it in the door panel. Re-attach the harness. Test. Pop it back in. Now, Maserati, tell me how you allocate an hour for this?

REPLACING ARM REST HANDLE
Part to purchase: Maserati 980139670, Arm-Rest Handle Replacement Kit

Next thing I tackled was the broken center console arm rest clip that holds it shut. The plastic "hook" that holds it shut snapped off.
Open the armrest, and look at the underside of it. You will see six little black wood screws that secure the padded arm rest to the plastic base. Unscrew them. NOW, IMPORTANT... Don't attempt to pull the padded arm rest off, it wont come off. All you need is a little clearance to pull the armrest clip assembly out. you may have to run a plastic trim tool around the lips of the armrest where they wrap around the plastic base. The felt edging on the underside of the plastic is not one piece. Carefully separate it so that there is play in the arm rest padding off it's base.
Now back to the underside of the armrest. You will see two hex head, silver screws. These hold the clip assembly in. Remove them. Now, have someone carefully pull back the padding from the plastic base, grab the clip (or whatever is left of it, I pulled mine out) and it should come free very easily.
This is what it looks like, but it's upside down in this image.

Insert the new one. It won't seat completely, but once you put the screws back in and tighten then equally, you will feel the new arm rest clip assembly seat perfectly.
Screw the padded armest screws back in.
DONE.
Took me all of 15 minutes. Maserati quoted me 2 hours labor.

·
Registered
603 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like you already. The world needs more zip ties, Duct tape and (old school) coat hanger wire!! MAF issue on my Evora was fixed with a Zip Tie!
My buddy owned a cab stand back in the 80's, and when they ran out of welding rods, they would use old wire hangers.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I like you already. The world needs more zip ties, Duct tape and (old school) coat hanger wire!! MAF issue on my Evora was fixed with a Zip Tie!
(y) Thanks!
Going "old school" is never a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,375 Posts

Indeed, there's no shame whatsoever in that . As long as it's hidden from plain sight, its all good :giggle:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Old post but worth reviving. Removing the door panel on a QP (2007) is not complicated BUT buy some plastic trim tools.....no butter knife. The mirror switch is held on by 2 screws from the rear. No pop-in tabs as some newer models BUT I glued my shaft back together. I am looking at an aftermarket pop-in type but have to measure the trim so I don't have any gaps. $24 aftermarket part, wiring will have to be altered but that's not hard. So, what's the difference between a Maserati switch and Chrysler (or Ford) one? About $600 in labor. I sometimes this marque really wants to commit suicide with these pricing policies.

5,566 Posts
You could go on all day about manufactures charging excessive amounts for parts...You are kinda comparing apples to oranges here on this one...Some generic switch where the gaps are not right and have to be rewired or an OE look...I agree the OE switch is a piece of shit, but most folks don't want some half ass looking thing either...Just saying...Jason

·
Registered
118 Posts
Very true. The constant complaints about the same little items can't be ignored by any manufacturer but will be more easily forgiven in a $40k car than in a $120k car. There is nothing in the switches that dictate 6x pricing. I can understand a high price for specific engine parts and such but a switch?
In a world where the $40k cars can be equal or superior in 95% of the driving requirements than the $120k car, manufacturers have to be a bit smarter. The thinking being "if they cheap out on a switch, what else is sub-par for this price of car"? My wife's Sentra (2010) is just being retired with original starter, alternator, belts and all switches work. So, from driving perspective, it is a far superior car than the Quattroporte. That, Maserati has to think about if it is to survive it's less than stellar reputation for quality and the first step is not to have garbage switches.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
3,375 Posts
My mechanic who works on a lot of Ferraris said those cars are also full of cheap crap components, particularly buttons, clips, switches, etc. and you’re talking about cars typically double the price of our Maseratis ( price new, later on they become quadruple the price of our Maseratis 🤨😔..) and the labor to replace them is just as involved, if not more.. and it’s pretty much the same with Porsches, so we’re not alone in this ..
I agree than given the price of these cars one “ should expect “ superior quality in every respect vs. cars which are half the price or a quarter of the price, but unfortunately it seems almost the reverse is the case .

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
+1
My F355 is full of crap buttons and switches as well. Italians apparently just don't give a damn about electronics..lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts