Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just noticed today (had to go with windows up as it was pouring) some annoying rattling sound coming from the door panels whenever the car hit a pothole or with uneven tarmac. Looks as coming from the tweeter bay, as if a cable hits the metal frame. Anyone came across this one?

Last week sorted-out some squeaking coming from the back seats (leather rubbing into leather... back panel into c-pillar leather trim and back seats headrests) by making some sponge spacers from a spare Scotch-Brite I had in the kitchen, which I fitted easily and the noise was completely gone.

Maybe I need a Tubi...

Ed

·
Registered
75 Posts
Door rattles

Hi Troesma.. the rattles sound very like the ones that I have been plagued with.. and they are related to the retractor.. the retractor is the device which lowers the window when you open it and raises it when you shut it..

the retractors ont he coupe are troublesome (quote the Maserati tech guy ;) ) .. but the dealer just sorts for me when I take it in..

very annoying I know.. but they should sort for you.. mention the retractors and they give you a knowing look.. good luck:)

R.

·
Registered
88 Posts
two brackets for the windows

the window has 2 brackets, i broke one before, i am not sure how, but it was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, will have a look myself tomorrow... had the car out of my dealer (H R Owen in London) only last week (always very nice, could not give me their QP as courtesy car -their shop manager had it with him- but was landed an Audi A8... well, not THAT bad...) so have no plans to go to the shop again, unless, of course, I cannot deal with it myself.

Dont know, but I think rather than the retractor is some cabling. The noise goes down noticeably if you press against the door panel with the leg, or eventually a hand (but harder on the panel).

I must say that simple, hand-made sponge spacers, have made miracles in supressing the remaining interior noise... that's possibly why the door rattling became more noticeable.

BTW, been in Geneva yesterday and had a chance to pop-in Modena (the Maser dealer in Rue de Lausanne) and had a chat with the manager... no additional tips on the new Coupe... neither they had much on display (just a lonely blue Spyder). Strange.

Thanks again.

Ed

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heheheeeeehe Squid :D

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorted... at last!

Right,

Got the tools out today to check on the noise in the drivers door panel in my Coupe. Dismantled a few bits, nothing unusual, re-mounted... noise still there... :mad:

Use my fist to smoothly hit the door to re-check where the noise was coming from. Lower bit... could it be the something loose on the new speakers I've installed about a month ago? (Focal 165 CV1... sound superb, BTW). Speaker out, check, nothing seems loose. No cables loose. Test the door panel again before re-mounting, noise continues... :mad: :mad:

But, having a deeper look, note the washer of one of the panel holding screws inside the speaker bay is loose, despite the screw being very tight. WTF? Took the screw out, check its thread, nothing wrong. It looks slightly longer than the depth of the mounting, so despite going all the way to the end there was a gap left, and the washer was obviously loose... leaving the panel not tightly fastened.

Guess: the noise was the loose washer hitting both the screw and the brass nut mount, and possibly some vibration coming from the panel itself (against the steel door frame.) Got a shorter screw, for added safety used a few wraps of Teflon tape, re-mounted... noise GONE.

The mount was the original one, un-touched from factory, as the screw had its head paint-mark perfectly aligned (paint-marks are a usual method for checking if someone has effectively worked on the panels afterwards). Seems someone in Modena decided to used a different screw than the one needed there.

Well, Italian QC at its best.

Better than having the (steal)er saying me it's some mechanical shit which has broken down and costs $$$ when it effectively was a badly-mounted screw / washer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts