Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happened to be in North Beach today (the Italian Part of San Francisco). I parked my car in front of a restaurant and this Italian man, perhaps in his mid 70s asked me which engine was in my Spyder. I told him a 4.2 liter v-8 and he said "like the ones in the Quattroporte in the 1970's". I do not know much about Maserati's back in the 70s, ..he asked me to pop the hood and looked over the engine. He was thoroughly entertaining and stated the 90% V engine was just like the Quattoporte of the 1970s, aside from a "bunch of BS" added to the front of the engine. It turns out he worked for British Motors in from the 50-70s and worked on Maseratis. He hated Ferrari engines, and said the Maserati designs were far superior. He too expressed a disdain for the Bee-turbo.

In his broken English and Italian accent, he ended our conversation with a comment which cracked me up, "A Maserati is for a gentleman, a Ferrari is for a Pimp"

·
Registered
237 Posts
very funny story. a pimp? wonder what he'd say about a lambo....

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after thinking about it for a bit, I beleive it was his way of saying, the Ferrari is too tacky/too flashy/pimp, and the Maserati was sophisticated

·
Registered
196 Posts
Knowing these Italian old coots a bit I would venture that what he was trying to say that Maseratisti are gentlemen, and Ferraristi are, well, not :p

·
Registered
133 Posts
PacoSaca said:
...so we are all gentlemen wishing someday to become pimps ??? :D

Funny post demoe
:D At least I know I am !!!!

I heard that comment the old man made before though. And if you take a look it is true that most people driving Ferraris drive them not just because the cars are spectacular but foremost because they are expensive. Not everyone certainly but a large majority flaunts their wealth with driving Ferraris. On the other hand Maseratis always were kind of an understatment. I don't know what your guys experience is but over on the Southwest coast of Florida not a lot of people recognize my QP and many people ask what car that is. When I tell them Maserati I can tell from their facial expression that they don't have a clue what that means :rolleyes: I like it this way - flying under the radar!!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think it is very complicated.
I used to live in NC, where there are endless miles of beautiful country roads winding through the hills. I have a number of friends (we go to F1 races together still) who own Ferraris. They are the nicest, most laid back, and unpretentious group of guys you could ever want to hang around and have a beer and talk cars. They love Ferraris as sports cars, and the Sunday am drives were legendary. In Florida it is quite a different scene. The roads suck, period. This is not a driver's paradise by any means. It is a boater's paradise to be sure, but not for cars. The Ferarristi here are pretentious showoffs (at least the few I have met, so perhaps this generalization needs to be taken with a grain of salt...but I'm allowed my opinion nonetheless). I love Ferraris for what they are, the history, F1, Schumacher, Enzo, etc. But they are too "overstyled" for my tastes, they are indeed as that old Italian man stated..."for the pimp."
What are some of the most beautiful and legendary Ferarris of all time? I would venture a guess that the 250 GT SWB, 275 GTB/4, and certainly the 250 GTO would be near the head of the list. What modern Ferrari looks like that.......none. The 360 and 430 are really bodacious (IMO), the 612 (which I saw in peron at the Ferrari dealer a couple years ago when it was touring with the new Maserati QP....know what? The QP absolutely STOLE the show sitting next to the 612!). The Maserati coupe is more akin to the old front engined Ferraris than any modern Ferrari. I bet if Enzo were alive he'd be in a QP or maybe a Coupe before he'd be caught dead in an F430 (any takers on that bet?).
I love Ferrari, but I respect Maserati more. It is a bit like the Pamela Lee thing, would you take her home for the long haul? I'd rather have something "a little less." Beautiful, understated, yet able to perform liek few other cars on Earth.

Edit: 1. Enzo comment assumes the current close ties, not the rivalry that existed in his day.
2. I could buy a Ferarri if I wanted (as could most Maserati owners)...this isn't a case of "sour grapes."

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
ferrari makes wonderful cars; they have a much broader appeal than maserati. i dont know too many kids having maserati posters in their bedroom walls. they probably have pamela lee and ferrari's.

further, i can see all these lottery winners just getting a Ferrari rather than a Maserati.

how do you feel about the comment by Frank Sinatra:
"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra

(note: i love both Ferrari and Lamborghini as well).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ferrari v Maserati

Ferrari owners drive down the road as if they own it. Maserati owners drive down the road because they do own it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
M! said:
ferrari makes wonderful cars; they have a much broader appeal than maserati. i dont know too many kids having maserati posters in their bedroom walls. they probably have pamela lee and ferrari's.

further, i can see all these lottery winners just getting a Ferrari rather than a Maserati.

how do you feel about the comment by Frank Sinatra:
"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra

(note: i love both Ferrari and Lamborghini as well).

Don't get me wrong, I too love Ferraris, when I'm in that "mood." You actually help bolster my point by mentioning that "kids" have posters of Ferraris and Pamela Lee on their walls. The Maserati is a bit of a more refined taste. I don't want to take this too far. Obviously Enzo would be driving a 612 if he were alive and not a GranSport (just a little poetic license there). My point is that I believe Maserati is situated in the continuum between Aston at one end (high class, sophisticated) and Ferrari/Lamborghini at the other (raw, caged tiger pacing in front of the bars). It offers gorgeous sensuous lines that are extremely classy but still maintains that "Italian edge," an essence of raw emotional driving. I can afford a Ferrari (used) but for approx $110K you get a Maserati with the daily use ability and a pretty good warranty. I like to drive my Italian toy, not pamper a garage queen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts