Maserati Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, here's the background. I bought this 2004 spyder gt from a dealership who disclosed to me that the radio wasnt working. No problem. I get it, I pull the radio, it's disconnected. Likely because as soon as its pluged in, without the key, the screen comes on and stays on. I took a picture, I'll post here. It appears the screen is damaged? There are some lines in the lcd. Furthermore, it looks like Im not the first one to take a look, the unit itself is cracked from someone opening it to look inside.

So...

1. Should I replace the unit? (That's what Im currently going with)
2. Will I need any kind of security code to use a used unit?

*Edit: So I looked around. These head units are hard to find, afford, or match in silver trim. Started looking at the aftermarket route, but that looks like a pain too. I wonder if anyone could recommend someone to send the radio to to be repaired...

Thanks for any help, it's greatly appreciated. Glad to be part of the house of the trident community.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I haven’t done it yet but I’m going to use the 3D printer file for the bezel to go the aftermarket route. I’ve weighed the pros and cons of keeping it stock, and it’s very lopsided to go the aftermarket route. If it’s over your head skill wise source it out, can’t be much more than what you’d pay someone to fix the stock unit. Could always provide a shop with a few links to some of the posts people have detailing their installs on here to shorten the learning curve for them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Furthermore, it looks like Im not the first one to take a look, the unit itself is cracked from someone opening it to look inside.
Are you referring to the black plastic moulding at the rear of the screen? There are a number of springs underneath the heatsink which need to be in contact with the pcb. Typically you'd get a blank screen if there's no contact but, and purely a guess, I'd imagine other symptoms are possible if only one spring isn't making perfect contact.

Also a guess, related to the stickers on the buttons, it's possible the only reason the unit was opened previously was to clean the sticky residue off the buttons. Again, purely a guess, pre-sale by a ham-fisted guy at a dealership who didn't know what they were doing. Or a previous owner of course. I wouldn't assume the radio is not working though without further investigation.

If you get as far as replacement you wouldn't need to specifically look for one with a silver bezel. The internals can be swapped over to use with your existing bezel. That said, I'd concur with the above re: updating to a modern system.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
the screen is hs

you can remove it and send it to Germany I think the company BLAUPUNK

or try to repair it's often the capacitors ( test the system with a multimeter )

or change by a new upgrade

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alright, here's the background. I bought this 2004 spyder gt from a dealership who disclosed to me that the radio wasnt working. No problem. I get it, I pull the radio, it's disconnected. Likely because as soon as its pluged in, without the key, the screen comes on and stays on. I took a picture, I'll post here. It appears the screen is damaged? There are some lines in the lcd. Furthermore, it looks like Im not the first one to take a look, the unit itself is cracked from someone opening it to look inside.

So...

1. Should I replace the unit? (That's what Im currently going with)
2. Will I need any kind of security code to use a used unit?

*Edit: So I looked around. These head units are hard to find, afford, or match in silver trim. Started looking at the aftermarket route, but that looks like a pain too. I wonder if anyone could recommend someone to send the radio to to be repaired...

Thanks for any help, it's greatly appreciated. Glad to be part of the house of the trident community.
The question is can it run out of battery for you?!?!
But anyway I would disconnect it completely anyway so it seems you have no use for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies so far. One more thing on my mind, is that I would like to leave the vehicle as stock as possible. Maybe it's nothing for other people, but I confirmed with Maserati info that they only every produced 23 Spyder GTs with the vintage package. So I feel like it has at least some historical significance. So I plan to hols onto it, and keep as much stock as possible. I'd like to have the unit repaired. And since it's already not working, what harm is it to dig around in there. I will try to find an email for Blaupunkt Laurentdtr, and see what they say first. I did think about swapping the bezel with any replacement, but they seem rare. I wonder if I can find any being parted out...

·
Registered
279 Posts
As and when you're back up and running you may want to consider getting the buttons refinished. To complete the stock appearance. A guy called Lorenz-06MT on here offers a refurb service. Whilst I've not used it myself I know a few who have and his work is excellent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts