Maserati Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On the way home the other night, I was casually cruising on a winding rural road and out of nowhere, 3 maybe 4 racoons and what may have been a big feral cat ran right out in front of me. Needless to say, I nailed at least one of them pretty good. It took out the driver side bottom corner of my front bumper/spoiler (just found out it's actually called the "front splitter") and caused the undercarriage shield, or whatever it's called ( the plastic piece with the hole over the oil pan drain plug) to come down and fold up up under the car. Right after it happened, I began to pull over but the car died before I actually made it stop. I pulled the shield out and everything looked OK except for the missing corner of the spoiler. The car starts but dies after a few seconds. It's doing exactly what it did when the fuel pump relay went bad. It starts up fine but dies after a few seconds. On a hunch, because I got to thinking about the previous relay issue, I pressed the gas cap button and nothing. Since the relays are in the trunk, I'm thinking maybe I lost or damaged a wire in the front where the accident occurred but I wanted to ask here and see if anyone had any suggestions. Everything looks fine underneath and I can't see where I damaged anything other than the front splitter and plastic undercarriage plate. The car should run...I've attached a pic. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. It's also not throwing any codes.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
5,017 Posts
Is there a fuel pump inertia switch on a 4200? I'll check my owner's manual.
Under the front left seat, from memory. Good shout

C

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello OCMurph.. I read a lot here and don't post much, but thought I might respond to your post. A while back while on a Sunday drive here in TN, a fried ran over
some kind of furry animal with his GranSport.. Couldn't tell what kind of animal as it was obliterated.. Anyway, after pulling over, and checking things the car began
to perform very very poorly... He was able to limp it to a friends house.. Further inspection found a metal fuel line (passenger side) had been a crunched, probably
leading to fuel issues, hence very poor performance.. I recommend you check your fuel lines to ensure this may not be the problem..

Hope this helps...

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions. As it turns out, it was the MAF. It became dislodged. Once put back in place, it started right up. Nothing else seriously wrong. A few things bent a little out of shape but nothing significant and everything is working fine. I found a complete bumper with the bottom spoiler/splitter attached on EBay for $700 and change plus another $120 shipping. It's on the way to me now And as luck would have it, it's the same color. So all said and done, the raccoon cost me $150 for the tow truck and $837.00 for the bumper/spoiler. I plan to put it on myself and I will either relist the bumper without the spoiler and get back some of my money or I will just put it on a shelf in the garage and hope I never need it but it will be there in case the next time it's a deer instead of a raccoon. I appreciate the help from everyone.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Result. Perhaps an opportunity to treat yourself to a CF MCV splitter.
Not sure where Lambertius is with this at the moment though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bumper arrived without any issues and I was able to get the splitter off with minimal effort. It looks like the box holding my air filter took a serious beating. Right now it's being held together with wire ties but it will certainly allow excess/unmetered air through the cracks so I'll be needing a new one ASAP. Other than that, things look OK. As far as attaching the replacement splitter, I'd really like to do it without removing the bumper. I can access the screws on the two sides but the two in front cannot be accessed without pulling the bumper. I am having a hard time accepting the fact, I need to pull the front bumper for 2 screws on the splitter. To do that, I need to pull the wheels, splash guards (no big deal) and the headlights, turn signals and headlight washer apparatus (big deal). I thought about securing the sides of the splitter, then just running an appropriately sized screw(s) from underneath, and up through each of the two front center posts and into the bumper. Any ideas or should I just suck it up and pull the bumper?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts