Maserati Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...just wondering if any of you has ever fed your baby with it.

We go to the race track from time to time and I was thinking if it was safe for my stock Maserati engine to use race fuel... what should I expect if I try some?

Here is a video of a fun day at the track:

http://www.carandgarage.com/watch.php?v_id=1061

I drive the black CC, one of my sons drives the BMW and the F-430 and my other son the Cayman-S

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Like LH said above, I heard there's no gain on a stock engine. I believe you can get a performance chip from Formula Dynamics with a program for high octane gas.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I used 108 at Pocono this past summer because it was my only choice. I was a bit worried but all the Ferrari guys were loading up on it so I figured I was OK with the 4.2L motor. Ran with no problems but, didn't notice any gain either.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fror your reply guys.
I thought to ask because my son just bought a 55 gal. drum for his BMW and I was thinking to give it a try. On his car it makes a difference, he has done lots of mods to it and he says the race fuel is mostly for protection... he is now getting over 500 hp out of the small 2500cc engine.

Nice weekend...!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I used 108 at Pocono this past summer because it was my only choice. I was a bit worried but all the Ferrari guys were loading up on it so I figured I was OK with the 4.2L motor. Ran with no problems but, didn't notice any gain either.
That sounds about right. I've talked to some people who believe that using a higher-octane gas than your car was designed for can harm it, but I've never come across a known case of this actually happening. Basically, unless you've made some mods, the car will combust the race fuel in the same way it does 91 octane.

Same goes for cars designed for 87, but thanks to the oil companies' advertising, lots of people think that higher octane means better gas.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been asking other people about race fuel and all you guys say is correct, I also found out that it is not a lead free fuel and the use of it would damage the cats... that detail alone makes this fuel a big "no no" for our cars.

Thanks guys...!!

·
Vendor
4,745 Posts
There are many things to consider here. The exact specification of the fuel is quite important, just "race fuel" isn't sufficient to determine if it will work better or worse.

In general, you really just want to stick to high octane unleaded pump gas. You can see some gains with oxygenated unleaded. Never under any conditions run leaded in a street vehicle, you will never pass any emissions test again and it will not help you much either so...

This is one of those areas where, it can get quite complicated and mistakes are very costly.

I would say, If you have to ask....

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeff, thanks for your reply... the reason I asked was because my son bought a drum of 115 octane race fuel for his BMW and I was thinking in giving him a hand on getting rid of it ;) but now I know it would only hurt my car.
His car is fit for that kind of fuel, its heavily modified as you can see in the first two minutes of the video link of my original post and using race fuel improved the car's performance and also lowered the running temperature protecting the engine.

Thanks again for your kind and as always right on spot advice.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Unless the engine management software is changed, higher octane will not net a gain, it will probably be a detriment.
Last month we ran our Koenigsegg CCX at a 200 MPH event in Fla.
Initially we ran 5 gallons of MS 109 octane racing fuel with 12 gallons of 93 pump gas and ran 206 MPH in a mile. Once the race fuel was depleted we refilled with straight 93 octane and immediately ran a 208 MPH! We were actually slower running race fuel and posed a risk of burning out our cat converters.
Learning how to drive is the best way to be "Fast".
Just my three cents... -Kent

·
Registered
286 Posts
Unless the engine management software is changed, higher octane will not net a gain, it will probably be a detriment.
Last month we ran our Koenigsegg CCX at a 200 MPH event in Fla.
Initially we ran 5 gallons of MS 109 octane racing fuel with 12 gallons of 93 pump gas and ran 206 MPH in a mile. Once the race fuel was depleted we refilled with straight 93 octane and immediately ran a 208 MPH! We were actually slower running race fuel and posed a risk of burning out our cat converters.
Learning how to drive is the best way to be "Fast".
Just my three cents... -Kent
pics or it never happened....j/k do you have any pics of the event sounds awesome.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
PacoSaca;49704Here is a video of a fun day at the track: [url said:
http://www.carandgarage.com/watch.php?v_id=1061[/url]

I drive the black CC, one of my sons drives the BMW and the F-430 and my other son the Cayman-S

Paco, that Trofeo looks and sounds sweeeeeeet :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.