Maserati Forum banner

R Compound tires for the track

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  FormulaDynamics 
#1 ·
Sitting under 18" of snow and dreaming about spring on the track. Bought an extra set of 18" stock rims this winter for a dedicated set of track wheels. I'm trying to decide on which DOT street legal R compounds to use. I'm leaning towards the Nitto NT01s for both performance and price. Other contenders include Toyo Proxes 888, Pirelli PZero Corsa and all the other brands with a slightly more versatile tread pattern- Kuhmo, Hankook, etc. although I haven't checked on size avail. My plan is change out at the track or to drive to the track with them on depending on distance, conditions, etc, hence the DOT legal. I don't think pure slicks are what I'm looking for as I think I can get 99% of the performance with one of the above.

By the time spring is here my set up will include FD Springs and spacers as well as the already installed DBW. With the new suspension and tires, I expect this car will be an entirely different beast on the track. So any thoughts on tires? Experiences? My street tires are Vreds...(not a track contender).

#2 ·
Sprocket - I've spoken to the owner of Performance Tire here in the DC area before about this and he swears by the Toyos (but, I don't know if he actually sold competing brands). They are street legal I believe so, you could drive them to the track but, I imagine you'd be picking up every little rock and sand on the roads between home & the track and throwing it up everywhere I suspect.

I am itching to get back out myself. What rims did you end up with for track use? Really looking forward to getting the gang back together at Pocono this year - assume you're going?

#3 ·
Hey Vincenzo

Yep, I'll be at Pocono-couldn't keep me away. For an event like that, i'd drive my street wheels and change out at the track.
After talking to a bunch of racers, they recommended staying w 18" wheels. I also looked at the tire cos and there are very few R compounds in 19" and 20" sizes. If I had waited til spring I would have bought Jeff's (FD's) new wheel set but I found a great deal on a Mas stock 7 spoke set, which is what my street tires are on so I don't have to change out spacers, etc. It won't be the lightest combo as the stock rims are a bit heavy but it should do me well for 5 to 10 track days a year.
Lets muster the troops for La Bella and have a Mas life night!

#4 ·
Doug - forgot to mention that he also said that 18" was the way to go - so you've made the right choice. This guy races BMWs & sells tires to support his habit. When we get closer to the date, we should post a thread for a roll call for everyone here that's going and, like you said, plan an evening happy hour or dinner.

#6 ·
La bella

Matt, there is a thread elsewhere on the forum for "La Bella Machina d'Italia" which is a 3 day event in June. On Saturday there is a concours d'elegance for all Italian cars and Sunday and Monday they rent out Pocono Speedway and run a HPDE on a modified course ( 2 high speed turns and 2 straights, then into the infield for a tight turny section) It's a blast, with everyone form racers to wannabe's. The track days are run by the Ferrari club so you're divided up into groups by skill and experience. We had a nice showing of Mas Life members last year and even though the weather was, in a word, shitty, we had a great time.

Hoping for sun and more fun this time around.

#9 ·
Can't say we've exhausted all options but the PZero Corsa's stick well. My guess is that there will be a better tire out there for the money, it's just testing and time to determine what options are better. Pirelli's will cost $$$ but you're going to compete with them.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.