Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having my new ceika motor sports coilovers installed on the 4200 right now. My shop is telling me that they think I’ll need a two ohm resister on each coil based on their testing. Does this sound correct to everyone? I will make a longer post reviewing them once they’re in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I guess they are trying to get the suspension error to go away by putting the resisters inline, I'm not sure if its two or three ohm hopefully someone can chime in that knows for sure. The idea does seem correct or at least reasonable in my opinion.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Do you mean to tell me that the $550 "optional skyhook error cancellers" offered by FD with their coilovers are just a set of 2ohm resistors soldered onto a plug?!?!?!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you mean to tell me that the $550 "optional skyhook error cancellers" offered by FD with their coilovers are just a set of 2ohm resistors soldered onto a plug?!?!?!
Assuming the system for the skyhook monitors a current similar to how a light bulb or brake wear sensor work, then a break In the current sets off the error, if that is the case which i'm sure there is a more technical way of putting it, more than likely yes the error can be defeated by putting a resister inline, I am not sure what resistance is needed, though the resisters are cheap enough to try a bunch. I have not tried it with the skyhook so I can not personally confirm or make a statement on what the optional skyhook error cancellers are or aren't but...

additionally I have aftermarket seats and momo steering wheel which I deleted the airbag in my 4200 both of which I defeated the errors with inline resisters, I have swapped recaros into a few of my other cars all of which the error can be coded out (2018 m3) or an error delete which takes the signal and sends it back.

·
Registered
4200 GT
60 Posts
Having tired this trick on motorcycle stuff, with a feed that varies to affect a specific valve setting, this might be too dumb to work. If it does great. Im happy for you. I bottled it and had my Skyhook deactivated.
The problem MIGHT be that the "fix" will withstand overheating the diodes from vaaible circuit values for so long but then they fry..
A small fire will ensue but hey.... what do I know ?!

:p

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are fires commonplace when people use resistors for things like this? Admittedly I know nothing about this but have had no problems with my cheap 2 ohm resistors so far.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are fires commonplace when people use resistors for things like this? Admittedly I know nothing about this but have had no problems with my cheap 2 ohm resistors so far.
I know in the BMW community to bypass the seat occupancy airbag and steering wheel airbag dash light it’s pretty common to use resistors the same way you are using for the skyhook, never heard of a fire resulting, I’ve been using a 2ohm resistor after installing my momo steering wheel for about 6 months, zero fires so far.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yes.

Also, you shouldn't see any fires unless the resitors used aren't the correct power rating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts