Maserati Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate some help, i'd like to understand the exhaust system on my GS in order to make the right decisions in the future regarding upgrades, so correct me if i'm wrong.

The GS has 2 cats for European cars and 4 cats for US cars. The cats are right under the center console, which also have the lamda sensors. Then its the X-pipe which runs along the length of the car and finally the mufflers in the tail.

At some point along this cats-xpipe-mufflers is a system which connects to the "Sport" mode button and makes the exhaust more open and loud.

1) Anyone knows where this "thing" that changes the exhaust tone is?

2) If i replace the stock mufflers with Larini/Tubi, do i loose this ability to hit the "Sport" button and change the exhaust tone?

3) Since the exhaust looks like three different pieces, can i change each one separately?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
1. The valve that changes the sound of the exhaust is in the mufflers.

2. Yes, you'd lose it.

3. Yes you can. I did that.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about if i change the cats and the x-pipe only? will i still get to play with the noise when i press the "Sport" mode?

For example, by using the Larini Sports Cats and the Larini X-Pipe? Will that actually change the sound of the exhaust too much?

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Yes. Friend of mine has the same front pipes I have and an x-pipe (both made by a Japanese tuner) and the sport button works just fine.

The car is a little louder than stock with the sport button off, but nothing outrageous. With the button on, it sounds very powerful but not OTT like mine :D

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good then (pun intended), i may have to consider a small upgrade in the future.

Thank you for the explanation!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
BF, how does your friend's car sound, italian or american muscle?

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Definitely Italian. Remarkably quiet inside the cabin yet gorgeous sound outside. Plus he's kept that on/off ability, which is quite handy at times.

I believe his x-pipe (from the tuning shop I got parts off) has a silencer or something like that. No drone whatsoever in his car (drove it myself a couple of times).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts