Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I starting my search for a 02-04 Spyder. I test drove an '02 CC at a Maserati dealer. I have a couple of questions that I think the salesman was wrong about.

1. The salesman told me that the Skyhook was on all the time. Isn't there a switch to adjust it or turn it off?

2. How do I know that it even had Skyhook?

3. He actually told me that the button on the dash that says SPORT is to make the engine sound "throatier" (if that is a word). I'm pretty sure that the Maserati engineers designed this button for something a little more functional.

4. What is the button that shows the tire tracks? He told me that that button turns off the traction control. Is that right?

Am I expectiong too much from a salesman that works at a Ferrari/Maserati dealer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Dan

·
Registered
49 Posts
My understanding is...

1. Skyhook is on all the time. It is what i would call a "computer controled active dampening system". The skyhook system dynamically adjusts compression and rebound valving the the shocks to provide the desired ride quality. See #2 below
2. Skyhook has 2 modes, normal and sport. Normal is active when the car is started... When the "Sport" button is pressed, the Skyhook system provides a stiffer ride as it dynamically adjusts the shocks. The intended result is less body roll and more sporty suspension settings intended to provide better handeling while the car is driven more agressively
3. the sport button modifies at least 2 items: 1st is the suspension settings in #2 and 2nd the CC (padel shift [Cambiocorsa]) transmission shifts faster between gears to support a more spirited driving experience. I have heard of a third item, but I have no confirmation, which is a change in an exhaust configuration to provide a sportier exhaust note.
4. On my car, the MSP button turns off traction control. The tire tracks you speak of may be rear defroster. My rear defroster button is the rightmost button on the top row.

I hope this helps. Have fun with your eval. Very unique auto with many +'s and -'s
------------------
radgts3bk - 05 Spyder GT - Triple Black 12.5k mi

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

The button that I'm refering to is next to the AUTO button and next to the little reverse gear shifter.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
The "tire tracks" button is "ice mode"...something I suspect you'll never be needing in a Spyder... ;-)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK thanks,

So if the car has a SPORT button whether CC or GT than it has the Skyhook?

Is that right?

·
Registered
695 Posts
"Sport" button for cars with skyhook

"Power" button for non-skyhook.

Car with skyhook and 6MT - I don't know. Someone else will chime in.

The "exhaust" feature I believe is on the Gransports.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes - only Gransport has a valve to alter volume of the exhaust.

The "tire-track" button is indeed "low grip" mode - which makes the cambiocorsa box limit the rpm to 3200 max.. also avoids selecting 1st gear and increases the assist from MSP electronics. Oh and it lights up the "ICE" indicator on the dash!

·
Registered
329 Posts
"Sport" button for cars with skyhook

"Power" button for non-skyhook.

Car with skyhook and 6MT - I don't know. Someone else will chime in.

The "exhaust" feature I believe is on the Gransports.
Car with skyhook and 6MT - "Sport" button near shifter - slightly to the right.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK thanks, one more question.

I'm assuming that a 6M without Skyhook would have No SPORT button and No POWER button. Maybe just a blank like the one on the left side.

Is that right?

-Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
'02 Sypder

I have to say that we are very pleased with our Sypder. We bought it from the dealer with 2500 miles on it and proceeded to replace the clutch at 13k. Wasn't happy with the $3400 bill. However, since replacing it we have been very pleased. We always drive it in Sport Mode. My understanding from several people in the know that doing so will prolong the clutch. Using the Auto function is near criminal for such a car and is more for girlie-men. Of course, the car is my wifes and she drives it like a bat-out-of-hell. Since the '02's are the first to come out I'm sure there are potential problems that someone may encounter. However, we have 23k miles on it, she drives it as her primary car in the San Francisco Bay Area bumper-to-bumper traffic and in the hills and truly it drives great. But never, reverse up a hill slowly or you will burn up the clutch.
Good luck to you.
Dapper Dan
'02 Maserati Sypder, Maroon w/Camel

·
Registered
909 Posts
You will always have a sport \ power button. The button is also tied into the MSP systems - and in sport\power the traction & stability control reigns are loosened (claimed 6 degrees of lateral acceleration permissible before the leash gets pulled, and then the system is less intrusive than in standard mode - it won't cut the throttle \ engage brakes as much as it would otherwise). The ECU also gives snappier throttle response in power\sport.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts