Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybony have any creative suggestions for answering the intrusive question: "How much did you pay for that?" or "How much did it cost?"

I would rather not let people know how much I paid and don't want to be a rude A-hole and say "None of your business." Any snappy responses?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I simply quote people what the MSRP is when they ask

·
Registered
36 Posts
"alot"

or if you want to sound less like a prick maybe something along the lines of "way more than I can afford," "too much," or "five figures".. i guess it depends on the person, the context, and the situation.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that question is freaking obnoxious. If it's just some random lately I've just been saying straight up "That's kind of a rude question to ask, don't you think?"

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
in another post i have indicated that this is one of the top obnoxious question / conversation starter.

i always say 'too much money'.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Tell them it's less expensive than a mistress.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
The correct response is: "as an international superspy, I get all my cars for free".

·
Registered
214 Posts
Whenever someone asks along those it lines it seems to be "What do you do for a living?" I have probably gotten that 5 times at least.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Resposnes i have used:

It's a rental (that gets a laugh)

if you you have to ask you can't afford it (the guy was an asshole)

can you guess how much ? (he said 300k, i said no like half of that)

'toogoddamnmuthufukinmuch' (say that real quick & shake your head)

I won it on wheel of fortune (or replace it w/ your favorite show)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just point out that it is my "beater."

·
Registered
660 Posts
I had that asked twice; my answer "... it's just the car I use to go shopping..." :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
whats your payment? ;)

lol

I used to hide everything, my income etc or how much this or that costs, I would always brush it off or change subjects. now I just state it. I dont care

"How much do you make?" I just tell them flat out, At work everyone knows what everyone else makes so who cares joe shit the rag man knows too.

this has nothing to do with cars but my favorite topic (girls) I read somewhere more girls would get their boobs done if they didnt have to answer the real or fake question. I am not sure if this relates at all :confused:

·
Registered
773 Posts
mr how much

i answer with the actual $ amount. old man here. does it really matter? we know people by their questions. friends will not ask. its not important. others, do i care, no

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am absolutely amazed at how often this happens. I was a red light a guy pulled up next to me and honked his horn until I rolled my window down. He yelled over "how much did that cost you".

My answer has always been - "It's not about the money, can't you just appreciate the car". That seems to shut everyone up.

Brian

·
Registered
518 Posts
I just smile and walk off...if they push I reply with "enough"
its no ones business but mine how much I paid or what I make

1 - 20 of 25 Posts