Maserati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father recently acquired a Spyder Cambi with Skyhook. The car is absolutely stunning and the sound of the engine is intoxicating. His was a previous Porsche owner and is much happier with the Maserati. While I prefer the braking and handling of the Porsche the Maserati is leagues ahead of Porsche in comfort and class and the fact that it pulls much harder also puts a bigger smile on your face when you have a lead foot like me. Also the V8 grumble and the sound when you blip the throttle or change gears in sport mode can be quite addictive. My only real complaint is the cowl shake. While not as noticeable as the earlier models we have driven it still is quite noticeable (at first I was semi reluctant to take some hard corners because of cowl shake).

My question is the car already has 1000 miles. What services are done to maintain the car in proper working order. When should the first oil change be done? (Generally I do oil changes at 1500 miles then 4-6K depending on car and driver with only synthetic). How much does the dealer usually charge for these services? And can this be done yourself? If so what oil brand and weight is usually used (10W40, 0W40, 5W30) and what is the average price of oil filter and drain bolt? Any other problem areas I should look out for/keep an eye on (ex alignment issues, etc?) The car has the vintage package. Any special care needed to keep the luster or the rims? For the other cars (including my own) I use simple green, is this safe for the ball polish aluminum finish?? Also any way of avoiding the ugly exhaust buildup on the rear diffuser.

Thanks again. I haven't seen my father smile this much in ages. He was deciding between the SL55, Porsche 997S, SL500, and XKR, but the Maserati won no contest. He actually has lost some gray hairs, and looks a couple of years younger since purchasing the car =P

·
Registered
513 Posts
just a suggestion.....what I did when I first was considering purchasing and eventually did purchase an 02 Spyder was to review all the Prior Posts here which contain loads of info including some of your questions...

Your owners manual has the oil change intervals, and they are I believe to be 6000 miles and then 18,000 miles to the next...the type of oil is critical and the type which was first used, AGIP, now reported some special Chevron type are both very difficult to find and expensive.

hope this is a start for you...

enjoy the car.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
1Turbo said:
I can't answer your ??? However, Start a Thread here. There are numerous Maser Owners & a few Mechanics who know their Stuff.
Don't worry, you will get responses. Be more specific about your Maser: Year,Model etc.

http://70.85.40.84/~ferrari/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
That is a good site, but I think we have Maserati covered here better than there. Of course this is a biased opinion so take it with a grain of salt. 8)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Andrew
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing