Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waiting on the PPI for my car to come back today and I saw the group buy on the new stereo head unit which is why I am posting this. Are the stereos that bad? This is a 2014 car, what can the factory stereo do? Will it Bluetooth to my phone so I can make hands free calls and listen to pandora (or whatever)?

·
Registered
107 Posts
From my perspective is really poor, not much you can do with it, yes you can connect the phone and receive calls, but that’s pretty much it. I’m not sure about Pandora but I believe it won’t work. The first thing that I did to my car was changing the stereo for the Aucar Gen 2.
Good luck with the PPI and don’t forget to share pictures of your new ride

·
Registered
19 Posts
eyoung, Def get the new stereo by AUCAR. I just bought my GT in June , its a 2015 and the only thing that lets the car down in my opinion is the stereo it looks outdated and you cant even connect your iphone to it without using a aux cable(they didnt update the stereo until the 2018 model and even then I imagine the AUCAR stereo still has better options/more advanced even though its not OEM). Its also gonna be the first mod I do to my car along with the climate control upgrade but I literally am still on dealer temp tags and havent even taken my car to get the registered yet because the DMV just opened in my state and its by appt only.(which is booked out for a further month) so I feel wrong purchasing anything until my car is actually officially registered and off the temp tags.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ugh, ok I will look into it. Is the install pretty straight forward? It's funny, I talked to the Maserati service manager in Vegas and he was telling me the GT is a great car but in his words "don't put anything in the cup holders because it it spills or sweats there are a bunch of expensive electronic bits/wiring underneath it" and he said "do not do any custom electronic stuff like back up camera or stereo because it causes problems" Make me leery a bit...but if others have success I would roll the dice. Is the install pretty straight forward?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I believe your dealer gave you the standard advice, and in general is not a bad recommendation, but honestly Maserati could have done a little more to improve the infotainment system. Like astepabove said, I also love the car but not that much the stereo. Anyhow, the installation is really straight forward and Robin has put a lot of efforts to develop the videos for you to DIY.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Ok cool. Appreciate all the info!
Yes don't let the dealer scare you off, the head unit is plug and play, no mods required. I assume they mentioned that because a lot of the factory functions are in the radio, the new AuCar features all the factory functions the OEM radio has which makes it so unique, and wait until you hear the sound......amazing!

Here is my newest addition, Touch screen climate control. I will install my production model next Tuesday, the test model is in my car now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
I agree with all of the above comments. I have the AuCar Gen 1 unit in my 2013 and I'm planning to purchase the Gen 2 unit with the touch screen climate control module as soon as it's been "tested" by a few people. The install is actually very easy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ugh, ok I will look into it. Is the install pretty straight forward? It's funny, I talked to the Maserati service manager in Vegas and he was telling me the GT is a great car but in his words "don't put anything in the cup holders because it it spills or sweats there are a bunch of expensive electronic bits/wiring underneath it" and he said "do not do any custom electronic stuff like back up camera or stereo because it causes problems" Make me leery a bit...but if others have success I would roll the dice. Is the install pretty straight forward?
Hello @eyoung67
Our team recommends allowing your dealer to assist you with any electrical concerns you may have with your Maserati. We are available to you via private message for any additional questions you may have.

MaseratiCares

·
Registered
776 Posts
I don't have a single issue with mine - I think it sounds great. I use a BT streaming device so I can listen to Pandora.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Also the dealer is correct about the cup holders, they basically get in the way of the shifter if you have anything in there which is annoying. I dont eat food or drink anything in my cars anyway so for me thats technically not an issue BUT like I was saying about the stock headunit, I have my iphone connected to it via the aux cable in the glovebox and so I have the phone resting on its side in the cup holders incase I need to change a song or something and my hands definitely hit my phone alot whenever I need to reach the shifter thats another reason im going AuCAR during the next group buy (Even though its not alot of money for the aucar/climate unit combo I cant justify buying anything aftermarket for the car until its atleast fully registered/tax's paid for it etc)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Go with the AuCar purchase, the sound and the modern look is worth it.
The install is very easy if you watch Robins very detailed install videos. I just finished mine last night and as I watched the video I would hit stop, do it on the car and then hit play....Very simple!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Waiting on the PPI for my car to come back today and I saw the group buy on the new stereo head unit which is why I am posting this. Are the stereos that bad? This is a 2014 car, what can the factory stereo do? Will it Bluetooth to my phone so I can make hands free calls and listen to pandora (or whatever)?
Just curious which 2014 are you looking at?

·
Registered
2013 GTC MC
374 Posts
I don't even notice the center console enough while driving to care. This car has enough sound and tactile feel that I'm having a great time as is while driving.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I actually use mt GT as a Grand tour, It's really nice to have a great sounding stereo, google maps and waze running while on those 500 mile trips. Having the modern touch is worth every penny. Sure I run around town with the windows open and sport mode, but can't do that down the interstate...lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts