Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a Quattroporte and would like information from some owners.

How does the car perform in city stop-and-go traffic? I will live in Manhattan soon, so that would be a concern for me.

Also, I've heard people mention how horrible the automatic mode is? What exactly is wrong with it? Abrupt shifts? I love the F1 style set-up, but it would be nice to drive it in auto once in a while.

Also, doesn't the Maserati come with a warranty 4 year? Why do people complain about how expensive it is to service, etc? Is the clutch not under warranty?

I don't know if the car is too mature for me, since I'm only 21 years old. I really love it though. It's either between this or an E55/63 AMG.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I find the automatic to be rather uncomfortable. Shiftpoints are hard to determine and very hard, compared with automatic boxes. Don't forget it is basically a manual gear box we are talking about in the Maserati. The shifting with the paddles on the other hand is extremely rewarding. I don't know about driving a QP in Manhattan though. I think you would be better off with a 2007 "full automatic" version than the DuoSelect.

Do you have a need for 4 doors? If not I would go with a GranSport!

Either way you go (the Benz is a great car too by the way - not quite a Maserati though :D ), if you are enthusiastic about cars you will love the Maserati!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The clutch is NOT covered under warrany. A clutch runs about $3500 and MAY need to be changed every 15,000 miles or so. Tires, clutches and brakes are out-of-pocket expenses and require attention frequently. That said they are extrememly reliable mechanically. The new 2007 QP fully automatic transmission is a standard torque converter based unit bolted directly to the motor and will make the car more Merc/BMW-like.

E55's are damn powerful and at the same time, damn boring. E55's look like E500's which look like every other boring E-Class on the road. I bet I count 15-20 during my commute each day. I live and work in Plano, Texas and have NEVER seen a Maserati during my commute that I can remember.

Buzz

·
Registered
128 Posts
i had an awesome brabus tuned 520hp E55 and now i have the QP sort GT...

guidelines for parking.

you get almost no respect at valet in the benz.
but forget about parking a QP on the street. or in crowded garages.
valet the QP ...always front and center.

if you can.. get the QP if ur not too anal about door dings, curb rash or bumper kisses... get the Benz.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

MrTheKid,

Can you please compare the two cars? Your previous E55 to the Quattroporte..

·
Registered
128 Posts
MERCEDES E55 AMG:
-fast and attractive understated, park it anywhere.
-boring interior no option... black only.
-the shifting buttons on the steering wheel were a cool idea , but annoying b/c as the steering wheel turned you had to keep track of what side + and - were on. At 100+ mph downshifting at the worng time could hurt the engine. and even looking down at the steering wheel takes ur attention off the road.
-i enjoyed the supercharger w/Brabus software upgrade it was loud and it sounded like a stock 65 engine. previous to the upgrade i felt that the esound was a typical benz sound (nothing to write home about) like a kitty cat.
-the air ride is nice, yet i hardly noticed any difference from the diff. sport modes.
-as far as speed, the car was scary fast, untouchable on the road, i had 19" HRE's with goodyear Eagle f1 GSD3's and i went through them very quick. I ran 19x10 in the rear and turning at high speeds was amazing.

MASERATI QUATTROPORTE Sport GT:

-fast and sexy revoulutionary design, attention whore
-interior very comfortable (i'm 5'9") simple straight foward
- i don't mind the gear box, live the paddle shift (use it everyday)
-even before i installed Tubi I loved the stock SPGT sound it roars like a Tiger
-the standard double paned glass is great !
-i think that even though Maserati QP has 400hp it is equally as fast as E55 and new M5 in terms of 0-60 or 0-100
- I enjoy the handling/ suspension of the QP especially the radical difference between the sport and nonsport mode. You really feel it.
- I am running some aggresive 20" HRE's (20x11 rear) with Mich Pilot Sport tires and a squeaky tire is a happy tire!
-VERY Fast at 100 the car really gets comfortable.

AMG’s 5.4-litre supercharged V8, puts out 469bhp with a monstrous 516lb ft of torque at just 2650rpm, the engine revs limited to 6500rpm.
Maserati’s normally aspirated 4.2-litre V8 relies on revs to achieve its 400bhp at 7000rpm and 333lb ft at 4500rpm, and sprints easily to 7500rpm red line and cut-out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I live in london and find the QP a joy to drive on the open roads but often feel resticted with it in town traffic. The clutch life will probably struggle in heavy traffice conditions as mine did. Only lasted 3000 miles but was replaced free of charge as i argued this was unacceptable. Currently done 7000 miles and will be closely monitoring at future services the clutch wear. I have a 2005 car and find the Duo is a little harsh on changes but can be feathered out with the correct footwork, just takes a little practice. Car gets plenty of attention even as more and more are arriving on the roads here.
stuart

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys.

I'll end up with the Quattroporte, but the only thing that worries me is the clutch wear from city driving. 3,000 mile clutch wear for city driving is pretty bad...

·
Registered
102 Posts
yes it is bad but its also not fit for purpose hence replaced for free. i had the clutch setting tweaked when the new clutch was fitted and so far seems to be lasting longer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
CHRISYSL said:

I'll end up with the Quattroporte, but the only thing that worries me is the clutch wear from city driving. 3,000 mile clutch wear for city driving is pretty bad...
As mentioned above, if you don't mind not having a manual, you can always order the 2007 QP Auto; could be delivered within 6 months according to Maserati NA.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Clutch wear isn't really the issue

CHRISYSL said:

Do yourself a big favor and wait for the automatic. Even if the clutch were to last the life of the car, driving a QP in stop and go traffic just isn't very pleasant. You will end up being frustrated with what is otherwise a spectacular car. If very little of your driving is in a crowded city then definitley choose the paddle shift 'box.
Just my .02.
TW

·
Registered
24 Posts
The clutch on mine has lasted 25,000 miles with every day use, just replaced under warranty as it was squeeling a bit.

The QP is a joy to drive in every situation EXCEPT stop/go traffic, when it is horrible. The robotic clutch is just not as sophisticated as your left leg, and can't allow for different pull off speeds, inclines etc. It also kicks in and out at trundling speed causing a bit of lurching.

I agree with others, for city use get the full auto

Forget the Merc,a dull car with a big engine is still a dull car

1 - 14 of 14 Posts