Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m looking to upgrade from my 09 Mercedes E350 to a 2015 Maserati GranTurismo Sport. I test drove one last weekend, fell in love and have been going through all the logistics of owning one since then.
Background: I’m a 22 year old male with a perfect driving record since 2012. No tickets, accidents, etc.
The car: it will have full coverage as it is necessary whilst financing a car, and honestly why wouldn’t you for a car of this stature. It has 5,500 miles on it, Maserati certified, it costs $67,000.
Spoke to an insurance agent at USAA for 30 minutes to get a quote. I’m currently paying $150 / month, if I were to drop the insurance for the Benz and add the Maserati my 6-month premium would be $5,500... surely, there’s a mistake? $900+ is absurd. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
16 Posts
USAA: 2015 QP6, $112/mo but I’m 42. Youth is tough but i think there is an issue might ask them to check again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input @toohuman I’ll go ahead and make some more phone calls and see if we can lower that premium, $900/month is ridiculous... it’s a $60,000 Maserati not a $400,000 aventador lol... anybody else have any suggestions?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just changed from geico to Hagerty and it was a lot cheaper. I’m 48 with a 04 spyder and went from $115 to $59. Any questions just pm me. Aloha Dosh

·
Registered
429 Posts
2014 GT MC Sportline
State Farm, 52 years old, multi car discount, no tickets/no accidents, metro ATL, $201.00 a month!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just changed from geico to Hagerty and it was a lot cheaper. I’m 48 with a 04 spyder and went from $115 to $59. Any questions just pm me. Aloha Dosh
I just got off the phone with Hagerty just to see if anything has changed for my 2012 GT daily driver at 4500 mi a year. It hasn't.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The rates for different companies seem to vary by state or region. I used to insure an older Ferrari with Farmers for just a few hundred $ per year. But I have heard others get ridiculous quotes from them elsewhere.

Try AAA. They have my 2011 QP for about $950/yr. But I'm an old fart in a low risk locale.

Hans.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I recently switched to State Farm from Travellers. I'm 69 y.o. with a clean driving record with a 2nd car & live just outside Phila. Premium for my Maz is $1891/yr. I signed up for their "Safe Driving" monitor feature & I think I can save 10-15%. I use Hagerty for 4 collector cars. They would not insure the Maz as it's my dd.

Note to Kolohe: I would double check with Hagerty that you are really covered as they have restrictions. Normal use is not covered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
But to clarify it should not cost 900 a month. I’m paying around 2.5 a year on my QP with USAA with high coverages (300k plus) for comprehensive and collision and uninsured.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately not, my friend. Seemingly the only viable option for me at this point in time is to go on my parents insurance, which really bothers me as i'm a 22-year old adult.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But to clarify it should not cost 900 a month. I’m paying around 2.5 a year on my QP with USAA with high coverages (300k plus) for comprehensive and collision and uninsured.
Quick piece of advice; your uninsured/underinsured PD/BI coverage isn't necessary given you have collision. Coming from someone in the insurance business. Save you a bit on premium haha. If you need a quote let me know :wink2:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Dumb question, but was it 900 a month, or 900 for the 6 month premium? I just did a quote recently, but now I can't find it.. same 2015 GTC, but I'm 43.. it was significant, but not that significant.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dumb question, but was it 900 a month, or 900 for the 6 month premium? I just did a quote recently, but now I can't find it.. same 2015 GTC, but I'm 43.. it was significant, but not that significant.
It came out to over $900+/month, over $5,000+ 6-month premium...

Unfortunately i'm shopping around and the prices are all around here. $700/mo is the cheapest i've found thus far. Keep in mind i'm only 22, but I do have a clean driving record from 16-22. You'd think that would help, but it doesn't really lol.

·
Registered
136 Posts
In the Uk we have a plethora of price comparison sites for car insurance. For my 2017 QP quotes vary from £600 to £1000 but the detailed cover will vary. I pay £860 with Chubb but the critical element for me is that it includes full recovery throughout Europe which as a separate item would cost £2-300. It also includes track day cover which I do not take advantage of as on a Ferrari track day I once did a set of tyres in a day!!
It costs a bit more to pay monthly but not a huge premium

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In the Uk we have a plethora of price comparison sites for car insurance. For my 2017 QP quotes vary from £600 to £1000 but the detailed cover will vary. I pay £860 with Chubb but the critical element for me is that it includes full recovery throughout Europe which as a separate item would cost £2-300. It also includes track day cover which I do not take advantage of as on a Ferrari track day I once did a set of tyres in a day!!
It costs a bit more to pay monthly but not a huge premium
I was very surprised to see how much the premium varies dependent on age.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts