Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the QP out for a spin today. I put it into first and floored it but the tires didnt break. The car hesitated for about .5 sec till it got around 2k-2.5k RPM then the car went forward. Is this a sign that the clutch is going out or that the clutch is already out? When the car shifts, it nose dives a little then levels out,...is this normal?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Need the DBW from Formula Dynamics to eliminate the .5 second effect.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm trying to determine where I'm at with my clutch. Unless I really mash it, mine will engage for a second, disengage, and then re-engage around 2k-2.5k RPM. Is that what you're describing as the hesitation?

·
Registered
722 Posts
That might be the MSP program holding you back to some extent. Sport mode should improve it.

Or, when no one else is around and you have clear road all around you, try turning off MSP completely and see if the problem remains.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm trying to determine where I'm at with my clutch. Unless I really mash it, mine will engage for a second, disengage, and then re-engage around 2k-2.5k RPM. Is that what you're describing as the hesitation?
well it doesnt engage and then disengage. It just doesnt engage till around 2-2.5k RPM. Its like the car is riding the clutch in 1st gear till around 2.5k then its fully engaged...:confused:

That might be the MSP program holding you back to some extent. Sport mode should improve it.

Or, when no one else is around and you have clear road all around you, try turning off MSP completely and see if the problem remains.
I was in manual mode with sport mode engaged. Car still didnt break tread and had the same hesitation as stated above.

hmm, I havent tried this yet. MSP is basically traction control right? Do you just hold the button down to turn it off?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Unfortunately this is normal. Sport mode negates it a bit. Jeffs' FD DBW is the answer to rectfy this issue. As far as not spinning the tires, that's good. If the clutch was slipping the engine RPM's would surge up with out the car moving forward accordingly. Try to crank the wheel all the way to one side and floor it to see if the MSP (traction control) engages, if it does you will get a shuttering sensation. Even with the MSP off it's hard to spin the tires in a straight line on dry pavement. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Clutch

Hello,

If you not sure of clutch wear/life, go to a dealer, pay about 30 min of labor, they will connect computer and will estimate clutch wear. This will make your
guessing more accurate.

Michael

·
Registered
214 Posts
Unfortunately this is normal. Sport mode negates it a bit. Jeffs' FD DBW is the answer to rectfy this issue. As far as not spinning the tires, that's good. If the clutch was slipping the engine RPM's would surge up with out the car moving forward accordingly. Try to crank the wheel all the way to one side and floor it to see if the MSP (traction control) engages, if it does you will get a shuttering sensation. Even with the MSP off it's hard to spin the tires in a straight line on dry pavement. Hope this helps!
Kent, are you familiar with what I'm describing? Take-offs with part throttle, my car will surge a bit until about 2200 RPM, then disengage (the RPMs don't surge they actually fall), and then re-engage for good. If I mash it hard enough from stop, it will engage immediately. Is this what the DBW helps with? Mine does this regardless if MSP is on or off.

·
Registered
224 Posts
One thing that needs to be checked also it the P.I.S setting. It makes a huge difference on how the clutch reacts and wears. Most QP's had the KISS Point procedure done at the factory and it seems to set a little on the soft side since Maseratis are considered more luxury than sport. I believe this setting is the reason many wear out prematurely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any resolution on the hesitation issue?

After 6 months of ownership mine started this today. At speed the gear changes feel fine - but when parking or reversing at slow speed the car feels as described here - minimal clutch engagement then suddenly full engagement.

Very jerky and makes for some very close calls when parking!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any resolution on the hesitation issue?

After 6 months of ownership mine started this today. At speed the gear changes feel fine - but when parking or reversing at slow speed the car feels as described here - minimal clutch engagement then suddenly full engagement.

Very jerky and makes for some very close calls when parking!

I bought a Formula Dynamics drive by wire, and cleared everything up. The throttle is much more responsive, the shifts are more crisp, the car in general drives much better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts