Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a Cambiocorsa and didn't notice something that my BMW 6-Series Coupe does. When you downshift with in Manual/Sport mode in the BMW, the computer automatically blips the throttle to rev-match the motor so that when the lower gear kicks in, the revs are already higher instead of the not-so-efficient engine braking that occurs if you just let the clutch out without blipping. This also sounds way cool to kids and stray dogs waiting on street corners as you turn the corner and drive by .... because the timing and sequence is perfect. A human with a regular day job cannot consistently duplicate this so precisely.

I also imagine this drives women wild, although so far no one has mentioned it.

Actually, I think the computer perhaps slightly over-revs the motor, then the gearbox makes the change as the revs fall off to the exact, proper RPM to then kick it in to the new gear.

When I test drove the Maserati, the downshift just seemed to kick the gearbox to the lower gear. Does it not blip to rev-match? Or is the gearbox so quick, and the computer programmed in conjunction, that it is blipping to rev-match but it all happens so quickly that it's not obvious.

Thanks in advance .... new Coupe coming on Thursday. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
It doesn't blip when you initiate the shift by toggling the paddle. It does blip when the trans initiates the shift - as you slow for a light frinstance...

but it only behaves this way in SPORT (or PWR) mode.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Funny, and I agree - if you let the car downshift for you it will sound like you are heel and toe'ing it, else if you pull the paddle then not.

When required, for effect, before coming to a stop upshift and let the engine impress the bystanders... <g>

And don't underestimate the sound that you hear in the cabin - I get regular comments on what my car sounds like, from behind and even from folks sitting in front of me.

Love the 6 series, but you will have way more fun with this stuff.

·
Registered
773 Posts
sound

the first thing i did was remove mufflers. i want to hear what i bought. women are not attraced, only young boys, every priest should get one

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
bundas
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing