Maserati Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just took delivery of a QP GT S on Saturday and have to say that the suspension and brake revisions have completely transformed the car.

Over the last several months I have test driven all previous QP variations as well as an M5, 760, E63, CLS63, S63, XF Supercharged and XJR. After 300 miles in the QP I am completely certain I made the right decision.

In normal mode the suspension comfort level is on par with that of a S63 but the feeling of the road through the steering wheel is still tangible in the GT S. In sport mode it firms up to the feel of an M5 but there is NO body roll... none. I was tearing through back roads all weekend and could not find the handling limit on the car. The MSP functions brilliantly in this respect, allowing for just enough fun. I have never been more impressed with the handling dynamics in a car of this size.

On to the brakes... They are touchier than the standard Sport GT's but after some getting used to I have come to appreciate them. While running the car in over the weekend I packed three friends in for a ride and went out for a brake check. After making sure everyone was buckled up, fair warning was given and after hitting 60mph in an abandoned parking lot I stood on the brake pedal and everything that was in the car (couple CD cases, cell phones, anything that happened to be in my passengers front pockets) was resting comfortably on my dashboard within three tenths of a second. The most astonishing part was getting out of the car to see if the dual cast technology really made a difference in heat dispersion. After wagering with a buddy of mine, I made $50 by touching a tepid brake disc for 3 seconds.

And the fun... The car attracts quite a bit of attention, but all has been positive thus far. Mostly, folks just want to know what it is. I was pulled over 4 hours after delivery by an officer who wanted nothing more than to talk shop. If there are any potential buyers worried about appearing too flashy in this car your concerns are unfounded as most people simply acknowledge that it is something different and beautiful, and then move on. The QP GT S is by no means the fastest car in this segment but that doesn't even matter to me any longer. I have never felt so good driving a large sedan.

Time to put my name on the Turismo S list.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks for sharing.
I might have to get one.
May I inquire as to the approximate price you ultimately paid?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
May I inquire as to the approximate price you ultimately paid?
Thanks again.
Normally I would have held out for a better deal but I wanted the GT S launch color scheme and it was beginning to be hard to come by.

Nero Carbonio ext.
Nero int. with matching alcantara inserts, carbon fiber trim and red stitching
Polished wheels

I actually leased it under the terms outlined in the QP lease special being promoted right now. It's better for me financially to write off what I can through my company so leasing was my best option.

When all was said and done... $21K down including all taxes and fees (7% sales tax here) and $1700/mo. 39 months 10K mi/yr. Seems like a lot, but over 39 months it was actually $20k cheaper than leasing an S63 which was my only other temptation at the end. As far as the actual sales price goes I believe MSRP was $136K and sales price was $129K. Not a steal by any means but I was happy and the dealership here is fantastic.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Congratulation

A great piece of description, after 4 months waiting time I've mine here with the dealer and now is under the pre-delivery checking and expecting it on next Thursday after the custom is cleared. Same interior combination but Bordeaux outside with dark chrome wheel, not the best color match but a less sporty choice for my wife. Can't wait to drive it myself and really looking forward to have the same feeling as yours. :D

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I just took delivery of a QP GT S on Saturday and have to say that the suspension and brake revisions have completely transformed the car.

Over the last several months I have test driven all previous QP variations as well as an M5, 760, E63, CLS63, S63, XF Supercharged and XJR. After 300 miles in the QP I am completely certain I made the right decision.

In normal mode the suspension comfort level is on par with that of a S63 but the feeling of the road through the steering wheel is still tangible in the GT S. In sport mode it firms up to the feel of an M5 but there is NO body roll... none. I was tearing through back roads all weekend and could not find the handling limit on the car. The MSP functions brilliantly in this respect, allowing for just enough fun. I have never been more impressed with the handling dynamics in a car of this size....
congrats.
but i have a question about what you wrote.

http://www.maseratiquattroporte.com/newqpsite.html?lang=en
"The single-rated damper suspension system further refines the car's sporting soul"

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/213477/maserati_quattroporte_sport_gt_s.html
"Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT S
Auto ’box and conventional damping for Sportiest Quattroporte yet"

how does the single rated, conventional damping bilstein suspension 'firms up to the feel of an M5(?) in sport mode' ???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
congrats.
but i have a question about what you wrote.

how does the single rated, conventional damping bilstein suspension 'firms up to the feel of an M5(?) in sport mode' ???
I didn't want to get too long winded above so I'll be happy to try to clarify and I'm sorry for the confusion. While I'm at it I'd like to mention that this car has some serious depth to it and it's going to take me quite a few more miles to properly put it into words.

Driving around for day to day purposes in normal mode the ride is smooth and the steering is lite. However I have noticed that the car is extremely sensitive to sensitive to surface variations causing what I can only describe as a bit of a "scuttle" on an uneven road.

In sport mode (and this may simply be due to a change in steering weight or something along those lines) the car charges forward over these surfaces with indifference, but crashes it's way though (like the M5 I test drove). Moral of the story, the car seems to ride more firmly in sport mode single rate dampers and all, and I've had two enthusiast passengers agree.

I have been driving the car in manual and sport about 70% of the time since acquisition as the acceleration is just a tad lazy otherwise.

I'll be taking the car back to the dealer on Friday to have it fluffed for the weekend and have a couple delivery faults checked out. If you have any other questions I'll add them to my own list and have the tech clarify.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I didn't want to get too long winded above so I'll be happy to try to clarify and I'm sorry for the confusion. While I'm at it I'd like to mention that this car has some serious depth to it and it's going to take me quite a few more miles to properly put it into words.

Driving around for day to day purposes in normal mode the ride is smooth and the steering is lite. However I have noticed that the car is extremely sensitive to sensitive to surface variations causing what I can only describe as a bit of a "scuttle" on an uneven road.

In sport mode (and this may simply be due to a change in steering weight or something along those lines) the car charges forward over these surfaces with indifference, but crashes it's way though (like the M5 I test drove). Moral of the story, the car seems to ride more firmly in sport mode single rate dampers and all, and I've had two enthusiast passengers agree.

I have been driving the car in manual and sport about 70% of the time since acquisition as the acceleration is just a tad lazy otherwise.

I'll be taking the car back to the dealer on Friday to have it fluffed for the weekend and have a couple delivery faults checked out. If you have any other questions I'll add them to my own list and have the tech clarify.
thanks for your answer, but i m still very confused.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts