Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have been reading a lot on this forum and others on exhaust mods for my 2005 Quattroporte. I have the comfort windows (double glass) and so I would like to increase sound output from my exhausts a bit since with windows closed it is barely noticed below 4500rpm. I was wondering: the new QP Sport GT uses a valve to connect/disconnect the center resonator with the sport button. I believe the rest of the exhaust system is the same as the normal Quattroporte (believe factory installs Fuchs OEM). Would that be something that can be retro-fitted on my car? Any idea of cost? If not I could just remove the center resonator with a normal pipe like some of you suggested. I have read that would increase sound level by +/- 20% without affecting sound quality. Anybody has experience with this? Sound clip? I don't feel like spending another 6.000$ to change the complete exhaust system (Tubi, Kreis-Sieg etc). Thanks.....
By the way love my car just which the Sport GT was out when I bought mine....

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
one article mentioned that the Sport GT has a bypass valve that opens up the system. they mentioned it is similar to the system in the GS. anyone likes to confirm that?

i have posted a clip of the Tubi
http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1086
which sounded great. are there anyone on the board who has driven or heard the Sport GT??

now, you mentioned that you dont want to spend 6.000$ on the upgrade. what do you supposed Maserati will charge on their Sport GT exhausts?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well you have point there but since it would be only the center resonator and by-pass maybe it could be a bit cheaper? I'll ask them on my next visit. The cheapest solution though would be the replacement of the center resonator with a stainless tube......(500$). However I can not find any sound files on that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
cheap fix if I remember correctly

On FChat some 550 owners have done just this sort of thing where they found a way to keep it wide open:

Run the vacuum tubing from the switch directly to the valves bypassing the switch. The switch can be found by following the vacuum line back from the bypass valve. Since there is constant vacuum once the engine starts, it will pull the baffles open immediately. You may have to wire it open with a bread tie, as the vacuum may decrease under full acceleration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
rovingardener
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing