Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new '05 Quattroporte and am having problems with upshifts. Whether in manual mode or automatic, sport or comfort, upshifts are a disaster - the car bucks with each shift. I have tried shifting at lower RPMs (25-3000), and higher (45-5000), but it's all the same. I can't imagine how car magazines can get respectable 0-60 times, or quarter-mile times for the Quattroporte, with the way that it shifts.

I'm hoping someone on this forum might have some tips for smoother shifting while accelerating? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
312 Posts
kknight said:
I have a new '05 Quattroporte and am having problems with upshifts. Whether in manual mode or automatic, sport or comfort, upshifts are a disaster - the car bucks with each shift. I have tried shifting at lower RPMs (25-3000), and higher (45-5000), but it's all the same. I can't imagine how car magazines can get respectable 0-60 times, or quarter-mile times for the Quattroporte, with the way that it shifts.

I'm hoping someone on this forum might have some tips for smoother shifting while accelerating? Thanks in advance.
I have a 2005 QP with about 17K miles now. You might consider having your dealer look at the clutch adjustment. Mine lurched from a stop and they reset the clutch threshhold and it made it much better. They said the setting from the factory extends clutch life but isn't as smooth. I only had this issue from a stop however, and could shift smoothly at other gears. I don't use automatic mode so can't speak to that.

Ken

·
Registered
17 Posts
The way to shift the car is you must hold the gas pedal steady at one spot during shifts. If you are trying to accelerate while shifting the car it will hesitate and than jump.

Christian

·
Registered
24 Posts
My experience same as kbrookings - jerky start in first, but quite smooth once moving. Change will not be as smooth as a coventional torque converter auto box, but much more engaging to drive.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i have little problem with the QP's duoselect on manual. it does have its own mind on auto.

Christian said:
The way to shift the car is you must hold the gas pedal steady at one spot during shifts. If you are trying to accelerate while shifting the car it will hesitate and than jump.

Christian
don't know about the 'must' part. :?: may be different software on the CC, because holding the gas steady on an upshift does not produce the smoothest shift in the QP.

the smoothest upshift while accelerating is:
tap up, lift gas, back on gas

it is like a dance move and if you time it correctly, it is smooooooth.
the amount of lift and time tapping the gas pedal is minimal.
not too unlike a regular manual transmission.

you want crisp, you time yourself quicker.
you want smooth, you relax your right foot a little.

let me know if it works for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
M!
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing