Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the market like in the US for first-series QP sedans? Price range? availbality?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I stumbled into a '67 QP 1 in 2000 for $7500. Fairly good running condition, rough cosmetics. It's now a pretty strong runner but I will soon need to address the bodywork and paint. Since then I have only seen a couple of them come on the market. It's actually one of the rarest of the classic Maseratis, partly because many were cannibalized for parts for the GT cars. Many were simply left to rot. A pity, because it is a great car and there is very little else like it. It's virtues are perhaps too subtle for most Americans (most of the time, people think mine is a Studebaker). Despite the rarity, they still don't bring much. For that reason, I suspect that anyone who has a decent one is unlikely to try to sell it because they can't get anywhere near what it's worth to them. Kyle Fleming in Norfolk VA is the guy to talk to, he supplies QP parts and knows about many of the remaining cars. According to Kyle, the earliest ones with the De Dion rear axle are more difficult to keep running because there are lots of parts to wear out that are impossible to find now. Power steering was optional on the QP but HIGHLY desirable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
QPl

Greetings All,
I also have a '67 QPl, paid somewhat more for it than the previous poster, but I purchased it from my friend and we had just rebuilt the engine, he went through the heating, cooling and air con systems also most of the brake system (am just doing the rear brake calipers) and need to put on a muffler.
The car does need some body work (some blisters showing) and a re-paint, but is otherwise in very good condition. No rust showing undrneath. It has new tires and the Borrani steel/alloy wheels.
The interior is fair,showing its age, but has no holes or tears in the leather, and the wood is also fair.
One sold on e-bay not too long ago for $15100.00 US and other than a re-paint did not seem to be in very good condition. I think that it is almost impossible to price these cars, as most go in private deals and never show on the open market.
The car that I have, had it not gone to a sympathetic owner could very well have met it's demise, which would have been a real shame. It had suffered from very poor attention in the recent past.
Regards, Ian

·
Registered
773 Posts
QPl

just saw your post, i have a 63 with 6100 total miles, single head lamps. paid 10000 two years ago and put in garage. paint and metal perfect. have not drive or started, just not enough time

·
Registered
4 Posts
'64 Qp I

Last spring I stumbled upon a QPI -- i think it's a '64 , but not exactly sure at this point. It has the single rectangular headlights. The car has quite a story with it. It was purchased by a doctor as a graduation present for his daughter... he intitials are in the paint. She died and he sold it. It then somehow got stolen from a couple in Ohio and was found by the feds out west. Returned to them, but then sold when they got a divorce. It made it's way to michigan and was found in a back barn by someone who bought the property. The seller told the buyer he didn't know what was in the barn and didn't have time to care. It then went to the person I bought it from.

I havn't found time to get involved in it as I'm remodling 2 houses right now, but Im quite eager. The running condition is unknown at this point. The windshield is smashed. The body needs paint due to surface rust from storage. The interior is rough also. I think it read about 45 kilo. I'm not sure what i'm doing with this car right now, I just could pass up the purchase. This one might make it back... we'll see.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've used the following sources for vintage Maserati parts, and found all three to be very helpful:

1. Jacques Pozzo di Borgo at www.maseratisource.com (ph 909-336-9389) (Southern CA). Stocks new repro parts as well as lots of uncatalogued used parts.

2. Kyle Fleming (ph 757-499-5170, fax 757-499-8194) (VA). Stocks lots of uncatalogued used parts. Has been dismantling Maseratis for decades, vast knowledge but doesn't do the internet.

3. MIE at www.maseratinet.com (ph 253-833-2598, fax 253-735-0946 (Seattle, WA). World's largest supplier of vintage Maserati parts.

Haven't personally used www.reoriginals.com, but know people who have. Prices tend to be breath-taking, but sometimes they are the only source for exotic or obscure items. For that reason often seen as the vendor of last resort.

As for finding a windshield, your chances of finding a decent used are reasonably good, since many QP1s were sacrificed over the years for their mechanical bits, not their body parts. You might try posting a Wanted note on the Yahoo board (subscription required) at Yahoo Maserati GT Group

If you're ever in Boise, Idaho, I'd be happy to trade you a good used QP1 radiator and a rough rear bumper straight across for a six-pack of New Belgium Fat Tire. They came with a package-deal for some Sebring parts I bought a few years ago, and have been taking up space in my shop ever since.

Cheers!
Doug in Boise, Idaho USA

1963 Sebring Series 1 (current)
1960 Vignale 3500 Spider (former)

·
Registered
1 Posts
QP S1 Windshield

Anyone know any good sources for a windshield?
Hi!
-just joined in!

My company produces windshields in original specs for these cars (as well as for hundreds of other exotics/sportscars and one-offs etc., too)!
-Re-Originals as well MIE should have some QP S1-windshields in stock in the US today!
-if you're in Europe or elsewhere, send me a private mail, or call at; +358-40-551 9841 (+2 hrs to GMT)

yours,
Antti
'82 QP S3, Mistral, etc...
www.concours.fi
www.sicurvetro.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

Looking to acquire a 1960's Quattroporte. Prefer a running vehicle but, open to other conditions. My client in Italy is going nuts for one. Please call anytime.

Thanks!

Soel K.
(323)329-0599
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I love threads like this. It's interesting to see people who are interested in maintaining the heritage of these cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

Looking to acquire a 1960's Quattroporte. Prefer a running vehicle but, open to other conditions. My client in Italy is going nuts for one. Please call anytime.

Thanks!

Soel K.
(323)329-0599
[email protected]
I've got this '67 I have owned for 20 years but is in rough shape now. It runs and drives up and down my street but has almost no brakes. It's been sitting under a tree the past 6 years until last summer when I got it started and I tow dollied it to my newly acquired warehouse, during which it lost a wheel. I don't need to or want to sell so I'd want some crazy money for it, five figures at least.

That pic was from 20 years ago and it looks nothing like that now. It has much surface rust, especially on the roof, the hood hinges are broken, the steering wheel wood is gone, missing one wheel, etc. I'd say it's a solid #5 car. email me direct at [email protected] as I don't seem to get PM here.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
License tag says '66 not '67. Where is car located? Chassis number?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Response.

Hi,

Thanks for the email!

I am sad to read that you have such a gorgeous car but, never took the time to keep it up. The result of years of neglect will now cost you way more than the car will ever worth.

I have actually located two QP 1's and they are both owned by the same guy. I am going to make an offer to him next Thursday. So, if you would like to sell your car, give me an straight offer. There is no time to waste.

The way I look at it, some money is better than no money.

Call me directly at (323)329-0599 or email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

Soel K.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts