Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, i am new here. I need to make a decision between the normal Quaatroporte and Quattroporte Sport GT...(both Automatica) what is the real deal difference between 2 cars??? beside Sport GT got better brakes, bigger rims and different look..??? engines are the same arent they??

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hello guys, i am new here. I need to make a decision between the normal Quaatroporte and Quattroporte Sport GT...(both Automatica) what is the real deal difference between 2 cars??? beside Sport GT got better brakes, bigger rims and different look..??? engines are the same arent they??
Since they are both automatic cars then they are both wet sump:mad. I have always been a fan of the dry sump cars. Sport GT comes with 20 inch wheels and has some software differences in the transmission and engine ecu's.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so choosing the duoselect is the better choice????

I am gonna use the car as a daily drive..(usually on non traffic speedway)

i heard the maintenance of duoselect is costy...
at least i dont want to pay for a new clutch every 10k to 20k km..
and i heard the duoselect is sloppy as well???

there is 2007 Model year Q-GT i can pick from and its a duoselect, does 2007 duoselect car much better than previous years duoselect??

i dont wanna make a bad decision...please help me thank you.

·
Registered
695 Posts
With regard to shifting quality, there is significance difference between the '07 Duo-Select and the '04/'05 cars. But as you mentioned the higher maintenance costs are still present.

Sounds like the Automatica is your best choice. Yes, the Sport GT is mostly a trim and appearance package - and I believe the only significant change is difference in the skyhook calibration. Tweaks in the Engine and Tranny computers for quicker response but power is the same. I am sure others can fill in any other gaps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for showing me some directions here.

does the automatic change gear slower than duoselect or they are the same???

want to make sure i still can have some fun once in a while using manual shifting.

thank you again

·
Registered
905 Posts
I drove both cars before buying and decided I was NOT interested in the automatic. I would have just stayed with my 7-series.

That being said, if you want an auto, get an auto, but drive them both first.

The auto feels quite a bit different. It is definitely slower on performance.

If you will be driving in heavy traffic on a regular or semi-regular basis, the automatic is DEFNITELY the way to go.

Food for thought...

·
Registered
695 Posts
thanks for showing me some directions here.

does the automatic change gear slower than duoselect or they are the same???

want to make sure i still can have some fun once in a while using manual shifting.

thank you again
WOW! You had to ask the tough question, didn't you? :)

Quick answer is Yes, the Graziano automated manual (Duo-Select) shifts faster than the ZF torque converter automatic(a) 90% of the time.

General shift speed numbers are:*
Duo-Select: upshift 250ms to 300 ms; downshift: 150-180ms
Automatica: upshift 600ms to 800ms; downshift: 100ms-180ms with a kickdown feature of 6th gear downshift to 2nd in 200ms.

Both transmissions have software maps that adjust shift speeds depending on speed, rpm, rate of acceleration/deceleration, and probably some yaw inputs too.

But ignoring the numbers for a moment: You need to determine what qualities you are after. To me, the OP is an executive luxury transporter. I would want leather and wood trim including the wood steering wheel and the last year Maser that had wood tables incorporated in the back rests of the front seats. And an automatic transmission.

But others see the QP differently and want the larger wheels, lower stance, and the carbon fiber accents. And probably looking for a different driving experience from the BMW 7 Series or MB S-Class.

Tough choice. But fun to explore.

* Grazino numbers are from various sources, so it is a best guess. ZF numbers is from a ZF Getriebe GmbH technical/marketing brochure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW! You had to ask the tough question, didn't you? :)

Quick answer is Yes, the Graziano automated manual (Duo-Select) shifts faster than the ZF torque converter automatic(a) 90% of the time.

General shift speed numbers are:*
Duo-Select: upshift 250ms to 300 ms; downshift: 150-180ms
Automatica: upshift 600ms to 800ms; downshift: 100ms-180ms with a kickdown feature of 6th gear downshift to 2nd in 200ms.

Both transmissions have software maps that adjust shift speeds depending on speed, rpm, rate of acceleration/deceleration, and probably some yaw inputs too.

But ignoring the numbers for a moment: You need to determine what qualities you are after. To me, the OP is an executive luxury transporter. I would want leather and wood trim including the wood steering wheel and the last year Maser that had wood tables incorporated in the back rests of the front seats. And an automatic transmission.

But others see the QP differently and want the larger wheels, lower stance, and the carbon fiber accents. And probably looking for a different driving experience from the BMW 7 Series or MB S-Class.

Tough choice. But fun to explore.

* Grazino numbers are from various sources, so it is a best guess. ZF numbers is from a ZF Getriebe GmbH technical/marketing brochure.

then will i feel boring with the automatic???? concering the speed of the gear shifting, i used to own a 997S tiptronic, does the ZF automatic shift faster than the 997S tiptronic??? (indeed the porsche tipronic is very slow which is only good for heavy traffic driving...)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes you are correct Sport GT which i have Has aluminium foot pedals, Chrome trim around windows, Carbon Fibre trim, centre consul dash parts, leather steering wheel, door handles are chrome, interior trim is sportier look. The engine is the same but if you want shiny get GTS or Executive models

1 - 11 of 11 Posts