Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

some of you owners must be put quite a lot of miles to your qp. Whats your likes and dislikes about the QP ? please share your opinions.

Owned a 3200gt.. recently I test drove the QP and I love it. Very powerful and comfortable and thinking seriously to buy one.


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Only had mine a month, but done a few hundred miles already so probably qualified to answer. The ride is quite bumpy on unperfect roads, but you have to remember its a five seater sports car, not a limousine, and you get used to it. The auto is crap, but once you're moving the manual setting is great, and changes are fast and smooth. The performance is fantastic, so is the handling, and its the best looking five seater car on the market (how many other four door saloons get photographed by passers by?) The interior is also real class, and the info and sound system are great, except the seat controls for the comfort seats should be on the dash where you can see them, and the phonebook doesn't search properly (on my car at least). The boot is small for the size of the car, but who cares.

The big problem as far as I'm concerned is pulling off in first gear. I think I've worked out why its so bad. The electro-hydraulic gearbox completely disengages at rest in first gear, and there is a highly noticable powerband at just over 2,000 revs. When you hit the throttle the engine revs momentarily before the clutch engages, so when it does engage you get a bit of a jolt forward. The load on the engine then sends the revs below 2,000, so the acceleration is a bit flat until it hits the powerband and takes off again. The result is stop, go, stop, go, and it happens even under modest acceleration. On a conventional manual you allow for all this by varying the revs and the friction on the clutch depending on how fast you want to pull off. The EM gearbox does not allow you to do this. You can definately adapt your driving to mitigate the problem, but you can't avoid it alltogether. Its not enough to make me regret buying the car, and I would't have changed my decision even knowing it, so I guess it can't be that big a problem, but I do consider it a real drawback. Can't say whether any of the software mods will improve it. Before anyone suggests it may be the "hill start" feature causing the problem, it happens well after the break is released.

Other than that its a wonderful chunk of iron, and I think its also pretty good value (in UK) for such a well finished, high performance and exclusive car.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
208 Posts
I have heard about this issue from several different sources and I am not a big F1 paddle fan to begin with. If they put in a traditional 6 speed stick, then I would seriously consider a QP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
I read about this months ago - not sure where - and a rather disturbing procedure was suggested !

Apparently if you keep your foot hard on the brake and give the accelerator a quick jab (to 3000 rpm) just before take-off, you're in business. Immediately after doing this release the brake and accelarate - you shoot off like a bullet.

Sounds pretty dodgy, but maybe worth a try (I accept no responsibility etc etc) !

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
By coincidence , I had already booked my QP into the dealer today for the latest software upgrades, so I'll let everyone know whether the situation is improved. Apparently they need the car for a week!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QP

Thanks for sharing your opinions.. Arranging for 2nd test drive to see whether the jolt is there or not. During my test drive didnt really notice it at all. there was a hesitation before car accelerate forward but I thought its the weight of the car compared to the 4200

didnt know software upgrade takes a whole week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
In my mind, some of the hesitation is due to the park hold feature on the brakes. The brake will hold for a couple of seconds if held down hard. That leads to some jerkiness on start off. I find the sport mode is best for the transmission, strange for L.A. traffic. My biggest dislike is not having an integrated phone. Mine didn't come with one. I did install my Ipod. I think the sound system isn't as good as the one on my BMW, but maybe its just me. The Bose doesn't have many controls to adjust. Even in Los Angeles, I have yet to see another QP. I was just in London and Paris and didn't see any there either. I was beginning to think I have the only one in the world.
Mike Tichon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
You are not alone. I saw two in Miami this week :)
A silver one and a dark coloured one, prolly black, but it was dark and it may have been verde goodwood. Luuuuverly......

Ciao, DD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
houghn said:
Only had mine a month, but done a few hundred miles already so probably qualified to answer. The ride is quite bumpy on unperfect roads, but you have to remember its a five seater sports car, not a limousine, and you get used to it. The auto is crap, but once you're moving the manual setting is great, and changes are fast and smooth. The performance is fantastic, so is the handling, and its the best looking five seater car on the market (how many other four door saloons get photographed by passers by?) The interior is also real class, and the info and sound system are great, except the seat controls for the comfort seats should be on the dash where you can see them, and the phonebook doesn't search properly (on my car at least). The boot is small for the size of the car, but who cares.

The big problem as far as I'm concerned is pulling off in first gear. I think I've worked out why its so bad. The electro-hydraulic gearbox completely disengages at rest in first gear, and there is a highly noticable powerband at just over 2,000 revs. When you hit the throttle the engine revs momentarily before the clutch engages, so when it does engage you get a bit of a jolt forward. The load on the engine then sends the revs below 2,000, so the acceleration is a bit flat until it hits the powerband and takes off again. The result is stop, go, stop, go, and it happens even under modest acceleration. On a conventional manual you allow for all this by varying the revs and the friction on the clutch depending on how fast you want to pull off. The EM gearbox does not allow you to do this. You can definately adapt your driving to mitigate the problem, but you can't avoid it alltogether. Its not enough to make me regret buying the car, and I would't have changed my decision even knowing it, so I guess it can't be that big a problem, but I do consider it a real drawback. Can't say whether any of the software mods will improve it. Before anyone suggests it may be the "hill start" feature causing the problem, it happens well after the break is released.

Other than that its a wonderful chunk of iron, and I think its also pretty good value (in UK) for such a well finished, high performance and exclusive car.
houghn,
I had the same issue. The dealer told me that clutches were wearing out fast so the factor sets the clutch/rpm profile up so they don't wear out but it causes that stumble. They reprofiled mine to a more aggressive level and it works much more smoothly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
McNab said:
I read about this months ago - not sure where - and a rather disturbing procedure was suggested !

Apparently if you keep your foot hard on the brake and give the accelerator a quick jab (to 3000 rpm) just before take-off, you're in business. Immediately after doing this release the brake and accelarate - you shoot off like a bullet.

Sounds pretty dodgy, but maybe worth a try (I accept no responsibility etc etc) !

:D
Just put it in sport mode and take traction control off and hit the gas. Lots of rubber smell and a little smoke but that seems to be the optimal mode for fast starts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
mtichon said:
In my mind, some of the hesitation is due to the park hold feature on the brakes. The brake will hold for a couple of seconds if held down hard. That leads to some jerkiness on start off. I find the sport mode is best for the transmission, strange for L.A. traffic. My biggest dislike is not having an integrated phone. Mine didn't come with one. I did install my Ipod. I think the sound system isn't as good as the one on my BMW, but maybe its just me. The Bose doesn't have many controls to adjust. Even in Los Angeles, I have yet to see another QP. I was just in London and Paris and didn't see any there either. I was beginning to think I have the only one in the world.
Mike Tichon
The gas pedal is "drive by wire" so the computer senses when you hit the gas and shuts off the hill holder feature.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
zyfanatic said:
Hi guys,

some of you owners must be put quite a lot of miles to your qp. Whats your likes and dislikes about the QP ? please share your opinions.

Owned a 3200gt.. recently I test drove the QP and I love it. Very powerful and comfortable and thinking seriously to buy one.


Thanks
I have about 12K miles on mine. My favorite car ever. The navigation system sucks big time. The seat massager and "automatic shaper thing" aren't worth a damn. Its been reliable so far. The operating expenses are high; along about the same painful pace as Ferrari.

I love the gear box. It is a bit rougher on the bumps, but with that comes great feedback. Its more a driver's car than BMW, Jag or most Mercedes. Wanna go fast in luxury the QP delivers. Looking for smoothes ride; kind of like being a passenger in the driver's seat then maybe a Lexus, A8 or something is a better fit.

If you drove it a love it then buy it. It is the most "grow on you car" I've ever had. I ordered one before I could drive one. Then I drove one and almost backed out. Took delivery and was pretty happy. 5K miles later I just love the thing. Its like keep Sophia Loren on steriods in your garage
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
thebimbo
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing
Top