Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking to buy a pre-owned Quattroporte, and the 2005-2006 models with DuoSelect.

I heard the transmission is shaky and jerky in the city stop-and-go. Is it that bad?? Wasn't there an update for the transmission software? I want the car a lot, but I don't want to driving around uncomfortable with the transmission.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have the Maz garage set the computer to shift faster. ( like the Ferrari). then drive it in the sport and manual mode forever. It's great....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah, I've heard that when dealerships take in older QPs on trade, they flash the software to the new version.

The 07 QP DS tranny rocks hard. But... silky smooth it is not. It's for the assertive 4-door driver. :)

If you want smooth shifts, get the auto. Personally, I prefer the DS, but to each his own!

·
Registered
909 Posts
I too prefer the DS overall, and from the other thread its clearly the transmission of choice, but don't discount the Auto. It really is a very good transmission, and doesn't hurt the car's performance. It will learn how you drive and shift appropriately. Yes it's not quite as track friendly as the DS, but how often do you expect to drive the car in track-like conditions.

If you spend a lot of time in the city, stop and go traffic, let the wife drive the car quite a bit, or want to just get in and go, the Automatic is probably the better choice.

If your weekend car is a Ferrari, and you want your daily driver to be as close to that as possible, the DuoSelect is the right transmission for you.

The DuoSelect takes about a month to get used to, but once you do it is possible to drive the car smoothly. You just need to learn what inputs to give it, to get the output you want.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'm not expecting super smooth shifts, but I don't want to be uncomfortable for me or my passengers.

I too prefer the DS overall, and from the other thread its clearly the transmission of choice, but don't discount the Auto. It really is a very good transmission, and doesn't hurt the car's performance. It will learn how you drive and shift appropriately. Yes it's not quite as track friendly as the DS, but how often do you expect to drive the car in track-like conditions.

If you spend a lot of time in the city, stop and go traffic, let the wife drive the car quite a bit, or want to just get in and go, the Automatic is probably the better choice.

If your weekend car is a Ferrari, and you want your daily driver to be as close to that as possible, the DuoSelect is the right transmission for you.

The DuoSelect takes about a month to get used to, but once you do it is possible to drive the car smoothly. You just need to learn what inputs to give it, to get the output you want.

Thanks. Do you know if Maserati will upgrade software for previous model years?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is an '05 Qporte DS as equally "updateable" or "flash-able" as an '06 or later, or were there later hardware changes/improvements that can't be produced by a flash?

..My '05 has just been updated but haven't gotten it back..I just had the 6k service done at FMoW (at 4k miles) ...it had not had ANY campaigns done, dash squeak, transmission, whatever else. Also had a bearing replaced in the trans which hopefully removed the noisy squeal from various shifting changes. Sounded like a loose accesory belt, and some shudder upon shifting. Hope the updates fixed everything on a car I otherwise love! Look forward to really learning the shift technique on a properly sorted transmission. Can't wait to get it back...

Ciao..Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts