Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

did a long trip and "fried" me 2 rear brake disc. The light to warn me to replace brake pads did not light up and it is not easy to find them within 48 hours and I had to drive back home. Does anybody know what the cost of brake dics is? Can we put the Sport GT drilled (with holes) disc on a "normal" quattroporte? Thanks....

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
everywhere i read it says the brembos are "enlarged" but they all show the same measurements as the standard. the perforated discs are perhaps the same as the sports package discs. the Sport GT has " Brake featuring metal weave tubing" ie. metal braided brake lines.

"Brakes Brembo braking system with four cross drilled ventilating disks; front 330 x 32 mm, rear 316 x 24 mm.
Fixed four piston callipers with differentiated diameter at the front, two piston callipers at the rear."
from http://www.italiancar.com.au/pilot/feature029.htm

btw, how do you fry the rear brakes?? i would imagine the front gets most of the work done. and, did you fry the pads? or warped the discs???

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well since I had to drive back home (600km) without being able toe replace the brake pads (the official local service gave me service date May 22nd!) at the end it was metal on metal so the rear brake discs are very "rough" now and will surely have to be replaced. I was looking to find the size of the SPort GT discs but could not find them. See the guys in my home town service tomorrow and will ask them if we can change them....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to italiancar.com the normal quattroporte has 330mmx32mm front and 316mmx28mm back and the Sport GT has the same front with drilled holes but 316mmx24mm in the back so the are NOt the same at the back and actually less tick??? Anyeway I'll ask my service guys tomorrow and let you know....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Dear Fellow Member,

While I am not a mechanic, I can't imagine a situation in which the rear pads would wear out faster than the fronts absent a mechanical failure. Considering the QP's are newer cars, I doubt anybody has had to change the rears. For example, I have an '02 Coupe with the original rear pads still on the car with nearly 30k miles. If in fact the pads truly did wear out, it sounds to me that the brake calipers were sticking, putting clamping pressure on the rear pads, well before this episode, so that they prematurely wore, similar to driving around with your parking brake on to some degree. It is curious that both rear pads wore. This could be a hydraulic pressure managment malfunction, as something was apparently telling the rear calipers to keep the pressure on. Anyway, just my two cents. Don't let it worry you. It seems all of us have an issue or two to sort out. Thereafter, the cars really are quite reliable. I've not been stranded once, I'm still on my orignal clutch, and the CC is as it was when I bought the car. All good stuff. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i agree with frankieP.

JGT how long have you had your QP? how many miles are on it? have you tracked the QP? how aggressive is your driving? how are the front brakes?

the reason i ask is that there are many of us with QP who drive normally and some agressively in various mileages but i have not heard of such premature rear brake wear. i'd like to know whether this is a unique incident to your car.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have a point and it did cross my mind. To be precise, only the left (drivers side) rear brake pad wore out so indeed they should check that caliper. I said both discs since I assumed that you can not just replace 1 but it has to be done in pairs? Strange alos that the change brake pads did not light up.....
Now 30k on 1 pair of pads is an awfull lot, no? ! In my previous 745i I did around 30k but km not miles on a pair....A pair of tires lasted me 25.000km.....and I expect to have shorter km-lives on both on the maserati....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well indeed the driver's side rear disc is gone. so both rear discs will have to be replaced. There was a problem with the calipers that did not fully open so that the pad went earlier than the rest. Service guy told me the pad worn light did not light up sinde the QP has only sensors at the other side since suposedly both side should wear off the same. Now I am checking if I can put cross-drilled disc. The problem with driving this kind of car is that it is hard to find parts quickly. That's why I had to drive back home with a 99% gone pad that went 100% on my 600km trip and fried the disk. I live in Europe and driving style is aggressive once the engine is on temperature.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They have replaced my rear discs and pads. They have put the cross-drilled ones from the QP Sport GT so they fit. Total cost: around 2.250Eu. Now waiting to have my Tubi installed next week :) (Thanks M!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
3 Participants
JGT
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing