21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do it! Get one

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Thanks Morsimon. I'm gonna drive this car to the ground! I think this body style will still be hot 10 years from now, hopefully. I just ordered the Larini Exhaust, the ECU, and the DBW module, and BMI air filter for my QP Sport GTS automatica - I will let you guys know how it turns out, I figured since I aint buying a new car for a while, I might as well push this one the most I can!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks Morsimon. I'm gonna drive this car to the ground! I think this body style will still be hot 10 years from now, hopefully. I just ordered the Larini Exhaust, the ECU, and the DBW module, and BMI air filter for my QP Sport GTS automatica - I will let you guys know how it turns out, I figured since I aint buying a new car for a while, I might as well push this one the most I can!!
Absolutely the right decision - enjoy !

Morsimon

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have my QP 2008 SPORT GTS - and it is amazing! I think when I bought it, there were only 20 of them in the U.S. at the time with that trim package, I paid 5K over sticker for it, as my dealer had just gotten it in, and knew that it was considered the rarest and most desirable trim package, like full carbon interior, and alcantara leather steering wheel trims, and on the seats alcantara, like their MC12 - I love the car, I have kept it stock, I am pissed off at the amount these cars depreciate, but I think its due to maintenance costs, a lot of people get turned off by it, and figure they should just get rid of it to save maintenance costs? I don't know what it is, but its a damned shame, and whenever I see a QP up for sale for a stupid price, it makes me mad. I've seen my car sold online for 2/3 the price, and its only been a year since I got mine, and that model only has about 30 cars in the country, I'm told. My dealer is one of 2 in new york, and they barelry even got one of those. I don't know how true that is, if someone knows, please tell me! Other than that, the car runs like a dream, the 20" wheels I have on mine are hard to maintain, you will be spending money on tires, so open a tire shop while your at it! Other than that, the rarity and attention you get is the icing on the cake, on top of knowing its the fastest sedan in the world, topping out at 167 mph - I've driven it to 140- but that was about it, my wife was in the car, so I didn't want to over do it- after 100 it just seems to pull more and more. I'm thinking of getting a Larini exhaust for it, but I'm worried it will be too loud, those things sound like beasts!! I'm wondering, does anyone have any experience with the FD ecu upgrade for the QP? Is it worth it? That coupled with the larini exhaust would make about 440 hp i think, whoa...
It's not the fastest sedan in the world by a long shot.

Mercedes S600, S65, S63 get up to 186mph limited by AMG and delimited would touch 200mph, but they are also $150-$200k.

·
5,887 Posts
It's not the fastest sedan in the world by a long shot.

Mercedes S600, S65, S63 get up to 186mph limited by AMG and delimited would touch 200mph, but they are also $150-$200k.
Fast sedans aren't just limited to Mercedes. The Cadillac CTS-V pulls up to 191 mph. There is quite a list of very fast sedans. While the QP isn't very high up on that list, neither is the price of entry. For the money, the QP is an amazing machine.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Maserati is the best hands down

Fast sedans aren't just limited to Mercedes. The Cadillac CTS-V pulls up to 191 mph. There is quite a list of very fast sedans. While the QP isn't very high up on that list, neither is the price of entry. For the money, the QP is an amazing machine.
I second that!! I guess it isn't the fastest! I thought it was! I'm not a mercedes guy, (I had a CLS550 recently and got rid of it) They are smooth riding machines, but don't feel like traditional sports cars to me - WHY PAY $150K-$200 FOR A DAMNED MERCEDES!! ITS ONLY A MERCEDES!! I'd go for a Maserati any day, wait.. MY SPORT GTS cost me $150K! Style Signore, Style!

·
5,887 Posts
...Hey guys top speed and "fastest" are different things!
Think 0-60 and 0-100.
Top speed and fastest are indeed the same thing. Quickest, on the other hand, is a different story. Regardless, the QP doesn't come close to being the quickest sedan either. IMHO, the Quattroporte is all about style and passion with solid performance.

If I were in the market for a fast and quick sedan, I would look for a new BMW M5. The downside to a car like that is they blend in with the seemingly enless supply of other BMW 5-series cars on the road.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
13 Posts
QP as a DD

I have an 07 QP Sport GT and have driven it to work for the better part of the last 2 years. I love the ZF tranny for everyday around town driving and the sport mode for when the opportunity is there.. No problems with the car at all and now at about 16k miles. The negative dealer issues I have read about hear are not a problem in the Tampa Bay area. Reeves Imports is here and they have done a great job for me, and they are friendly. I see you are planning on moving to Florida so if you are anywhere near Tampa you will get well taken care of there. It still turns heads and gets a regular thumbs up from other drivers and I can go weeks without seeing another one. Great car, not for sale.

Buy one and enjoy, at any speed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Top speed and fastest are indeed the same thing. Quickest, on the other hand, is a different story. Regardless, the QP doesn't come close to being the quickest sedan either. IMHO, the Quattroporte is all about style and passion with solid performance.

If I were in the market for a fast and quick sedan, I would look for a new BMW M5. The downside to a car like that is they blend in with the seemingly enless supply of other BMW 5-series cars on the road.
I totally agree, I raced my friends M5 and lost by 3 car lengths and I got a better start but one thing everyone always forgets and that is that awesome skyhook suspension. My friend might straight line beat me but I worked him on the corners through some of the wine ding hills around my area, plus how many time are you gonna be able to get past 180mph in a sedan you would start getting paranoid about cops at 150mph. Some of the roads in my area aren't suitable for those speeds either you would just crash

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I totally agree, I raced my friends M5 and lost by 3 car lengths and I got a better start but one thing everyone always forgets and that is that awesome skyhook suspension.
I had the same experience with an M5 at Pocono last year. It would inch away from me under full throttle on the straights but, in the turns, I'd be right back on his bumper (I did have the FD spring upgrades though).

·
Registered
778 Posts
I had the same experience with an M5 at Pocono last year. It would inch away from me under full throttle on the straights but, in the turns, I'd be right back on his bumper (I did have the FD spring upgrades though).
Was that with your GS or a QP? I wonder if FD DBW, ECM, Larani exhaust, and air filter on a QP would close the gap on straights....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The QP is nearing the end of its production cycle. Not sure when "a few years" is for you, but it may be a little tough then to find one with so few miles.

I'd rather get an auto, so to avoid expensive clutch replacements, and I think it generally suits the type of car better. But if I were you, I'd rather consider a second hand GranTurismo, though no one knows what prices will be like for used cars in 2~5 years' time.
I disagree, you'll find plenty of cars with very low mileage, but at a price much lower than you planned for. I think $60K will be top money for a 4.7 liter QP GTS by the time the car is out of production. In the next 2-3 years there will be plenty of duo-select 4.2 liter cars with low mileage in the mid $30Ks.

·
5,887 Posts
I wonder if FD DBW, ECM, Larani exhaust, and air filter on a QP would close the gap on straights....
I can't imagine anyone taking a QP to the track. Then again, I guess I have seen a number of cars on the track that I wouldn't have expected.

It would take quite a bit more than a couple of bolt-on mods to get the QP up to the speed of the really fast sedans. The upgrades mentioned (ECM, exhaust, & filter) may get the QP up to 445 hp +/-. The BMW M5 starts with 500 hp. After similar mods to the M5, you are probably up to 550 hp give or take a few.

I think one of the biggest disadvantages with the QP is the car's weight. If going fast is a concern, a Coupe or GranSport, at 500-600 lbs less, would be a better starting point.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Was that with your GS or a QP? I wonder if FD DBW, ECM, Larani exhaust, and air filter on a QP would close the gap on straights....
It was with my GS Spyder. At the time, I was running totally stock other than the springs. I now have the DBW but, that wouldn't make any difference in the straights. So, the spyder is slightly heaver than the GS coupe and I'm slightly heaver than a typical guy you'd find in a Spyder so, I'm guesing that if I had about 30HP more, it would have probably been dead even with the M5.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QP on Track

I can't imagine anyone taking a QP to the track....

It would take quite a bit more than a couple of bolt-on mods to get the QP up to the speed of the really fast sedans...

I think one of the biggest disadvantages with the QP is the car's weight.
Well, I did! I have never have had a performance vehicle before and certainly never went to the track. I wanted to learn what it could do in a safe, controlled, and non policed environment and went to the Poconos for the Italian Car Weekend to "exercise" the car. I didn't have any mods other than Jeff's Larini exhaust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05mteoF8N5g

I had difficulty on the straight away only able to reach 135 mph and was blown away by the Lambos. However, on the curved bits, I definitely held my own.

I use the QP as a daily driver except in winter; too much snow. It is a fantastic car, and if it weren't for the cost of the tires, I would track it again in a flash!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Here is an interesting article I found about the Alpina B5 vs Maserati Quattroporte vs Cadillac CTS-V

QP = 88.35 sec
M5 = 89.95
B5 = 90.10
CTS-V = 91.65

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fastest Lap times at Hockenheim:

54. BMW M3 1:14.3
75. Mercedes C63 1:15.2
89. Alpina B3 1:15.8

101. Maserati Gransport 1:16.2
150. Maserait GranTurismo 1:17.6

165. Mercedes CLS55 1:17.8

191. Maserati 3200 1:18.4
214. Masearti Quattroporte SPort GT 1:18.9

Yes, the Maserati has tons of style, but its performance is lacking in the luxury saloon and even coupe catagories.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Fastest Lap times at Hockenheim:

54. BMW M3 1:14.3
75. Mercedes C63 1:15.2
89. Alpina B3 1:15.8

101. Maserati Gransport 1:16.2
150. Maserait GranTurismo 1:17.6

165. Mercedes CLS55 1:17.8

191. Maserati 3200 1:18.4
214. Masearti Quattroporte SPort GT 1:18.9

Yes, the Maserati has tons of style, but its performance is lacking in the luxury saloon and even coupe catagories.

There are no luxury saloons here, the QP is the only one. Rest of them are coupes! And even the gransport has the same engine, and is a ton lighter!! So you can't compare these. it should be with 750i and S63, and B7 Alpinia=

·
5,887 Posts
There are no luxury saloons here, the QP is the only one. Rest of them are coupes! And even the gransport has the same engine, and is a ton lighter!! So you can't compare these. it should be with 750i and S63, and B7 Alpinia=
Of the 8 princemarko listed, the second one (C63) is a saloon. Here are some more luxury saloon data points...

74. BMW M3 (sedan)
75. Mercedes C63

80. Audi RS6 (c6)

82. Audi RS4 (b7)
83. Mercedes E63

88. Audi RS6 Avant (okay, so this one is a station wagon)
89. Alpina B3 bi-turbo
90. Lexus IS F

108. BMW M5

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track7.html

Without a doubt, there are many faster saloons than the Quattroporte and also many that are slower. None however, have as much style and class.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts