Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all, I saw a number of threads on enabling SatNav features on Coupes, and was wondering if anybody has attempted or knows the answer to the following:

I have a 2005 QP, I would like to have the more modern Satnav system with bluetooth support and better mapping. Can I simply swap the head unit, or will it require me to change the screen as well? Is this an economic proposition or am I better trying to find somebody who makes an ISO mask for the SatNav area so I can fit an aftermarket unit.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hello AJSG,

There are a couple different choices you have here. First thing, is you can not swap the factory Nit (radio) out of the car. There are features that you still need in the factory Nit that will not allow you to swap it out for a aftermarket radio.

What we do, is still retain the factory screen and Nit, by adding a touch panel overlapping the factory screen. We add a Kenwood V-1000 brain and from that you can add new improved Nav, Video Ipod, SAT radio, Hd Radio, Bluetooth, and a new cd changer, all controlled from the factory screen which is now a touch screen. We pipe video through the factory Nit by adding a VIM module and a RGB module.

Where are you from and maybe I can help locate a shop to help you...

Here are some pics...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nice work. That looks great I havent seen anyone do this but I am sure that they would be willing considering how much a POS the orignal system. You know your stuff. PM and let me know more about what you do.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Jeremy,

What does all this cost approximately? And, can this be done by a very skilled DYIYer?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Jeremy,

What does all this cost approximately? And, can this be done by a very skilled DYIYer?
It really all depends on your skill level. I would recommend only certain shops around the country to attempt this. The QP is a difficult car to work on, or I should say a time consuming a car to work on. The interior is a bit difficult to remove due to the fact that the interior is pretty well built. The parts that we install hardly fit and require some custom labor to get them to fit correct.

The one thing that I have offered a few guys on here is for them to send the Nit to me and I will pre-wire the VIM mod and RGB mod and install the touch panel and then they can have the Kenwood product installed at there local shop. I can help teh shop and guide them through the install.

Where are you located....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where are you from and maybe I can help locate a shop to help you...

Here are some pics...
Thanks, quite enlightening...unfortunately I am in the UK...I am a reasonable diy'er but not sure what kind of work it would entail.

I installed a roadpilot micro in the cup/glasses holder near the handbrake with the gps and laser aerial hidden near the rear view mirror...obviously no wires showing...next I have to install the ermmm...gate opener come laser scrambler from my old 3200, but unlike the 3200 I haven't had the courage to open up the center console...

Appreciate the advice...would be interested to see what can be done..if anything...remotely...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks, quite enlightening...unfortunately I am in the UK...I am a reasonable diy'er but not sure what kind of work it would entail.

I installed a roadpilot micro in the cup/glasses holder near the handbrake with the gps and laser aerial hidden near the rear view mirror...obviously no wires showing...next I have to install the ermmm...gate opener come laser scrambler from my old 3200, but unlike the 3200 I haven't had the courage to open up the center console...

Appreciate the advice...would be interested to see what can be done..if anything...remotely...

Here are a cpl shops that I know in the UK that are well respected.... You could try them.

I would first recommend Prestige Audio, but I don't know if they are still doing car audio anymore. Many years ago they got into home audio and integration and it appears it's the core of their business now. Still, here's their contact info to check it out for you client:

http://www.prestigeaudio.co.uk/
Tel - 01923 801400

Besides them, I have a very good recommendation up in Manchester - well worth the drive north for your client. Phil Leach at SQ Plus. They are real good.

http://www.sqplus.com/
[email protected]
Tel - (0) 161 748 1600

·
Registered
905 Posts
Jeremy,

I am in Kansas City. Would be interested in ball-park pricing. Can you PM me some scenarios?

I think I could do this all myself, but might be inclined to send you the head-unit to do.

It all comes down to benefit and costs. I already installed a parrot and a crappy RF ipod kit. Would love satellite and hardwired IPOD and bluetooth though. A better nav would be cool too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Jeremy,

I am in Kansas City. Would be interested in ball-park pricing. Can you PM me some scenarios?

I think I could do this all myself, but might be inclined to send you the head-unit to do.

It all comes down to benefit and costs. I already installed a parrot and a crappy RF ipod kit. Would love satellite and hardwired IPOD and bluetooth though. A better nav would be cool too.
PM Sent...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are a cpl shops that I know in the UK that are well respected.... You could try them.
I will give them a call today, failing that, and assuming I am able to remove the head unit myself (PS where can you buy a workshop manual?), would you be interested in doing the work "by remote"?

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
119 Posts
I will give them a call today, failing that, and assuming I am able to remove the head unit myself (PS where can you buy a workshop manual?), would you be interested in doing the work "by remote"?

Thanks,

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

If you would like me to help, the best thing I could do is have you send me the NIT and I do the touch panel and wire up the RGB and VIM module's on my test bench. I could even wire up the whole system on my test bench and send it to you with some pig tails labled with a p-touch machine so you know where to hook up the wire... If you would like to send the unitto me I can guide you through removing it very simply.

If you do get in touch with these shops I am sure they are more than quailified to do something like this with a little direction.

Also when you get in touch with those shops in the UK let them know that Todd Ramsey recommended you to them. He is a good friend of mine who spent some time over in the UK.

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you would like to send the unitto me I can guide you through removing it very simply.
That doesn't sound like a bad idea, postage costs are not that great nowadays.

If you do get in touch with these shops I am sure they are more than quailified to do something like this with a little direction.
Yup, still waiting for them to get back to me from this morning. Let see what happens next week.

Also when you get in touch with those shops in the UK let them know that Todd Ramsey recommended you to them. He is a good friend of mine who spent some time over in the UK.
Will do...

PS Would you mind PM'emming me an estimate of the costs, obv. ex shipping etc...

Thanks,

Andrew.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is there a similar option for the Coupe CC?

This looks like a perfect solution. Is something comparable available as a retrofit for the Coupe?

Thanks...

Jerry

·
Registered
119 Posts
This looks like a perfect solution. Is something comparable available as a retrofit for the Coupe?

Thanks...

Jerry
Actually the coupe is much easier. All you need to do is replace the radio in the coupe. I would recommend installing a touch screen Kenwood double din size radio with all the bells and whistles. When done and if the dash kit is built properly it will look very nice. At the top of the radio it does have a curve to it, which makes it a tad bit difficult to build in and make look oem. Let me know if you need a guy in the Philly area?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Kenwood DNX8120 for Coupe?

Thanks for the suggestion. I did some quick research and this appears to be a highly rated Kenwood unit (8120). Is this a good option? If you know someone near Philly that could handle this kind of project, that would be great. I know that Goodman Radio does great work, but not sure if they do this kind of retrofit. Thanks again...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I did some quick research and this appears to be a highly rated Kenwood unit (8120). Is this a good option? If you know someone near Philly that could handle this kind of project, that would be great. I know that Goodman Radio does great work, but not sure if they do this kind of retrofit. Thanks again...
The best guy for the job in your area is about 45 mins from you.

His name is Gino and he owns Gino's Autosound. His contact # is (732)-752-2007... He can be highly recommended by other members on here as well. He has done a few jobs for others on this forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the referral!

I appreciate it Jeremy, will give Gino a call...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to this forum and found this thread. All I can say is wow - what a great bang up job you guys do to make this car at least of this century. I live in the Los Angeles area. Do you know of a comperable company here that could do this modification? Thanks!
Frankj

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm new to this forum and found this thread. All I can say is wow - what a great bang up job you guys do to make this car at least of this century. I live in the Los Angeles area. Do you know of a comperable company here that could do this modification? Thanks!
Frankj
Hello Frank,

Go see this shop and they will take care of you well. I have gone over this mod with them before. Let them know I sent you.

Kevin Wright
www.audioillusions.com
818-882-1810 shop

1 - 20 of 226 Posts