Maserati Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First winter (and it's bad!) storing in my garage with battery tender. Any suggestions upon starting up for first time come spring? I'm dying here waiting until then.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
You may want to start it up and get to operating temp once a week and roll it to prevent tire flat-spotting and keep the internals lubricated.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nooro, it's horrible in snow and we've had a ton as well as ice. Salt will tear it up. Trust me, p-zeroes suck when wet.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Unless the P-Zeros are M&S tires, you should eventually swap them out for a good all-season tire. I have P-Zero Rosso and they are summer-only tires. In the cold, the compound gets brittle....P-Zeros are great in the summer but in the winter, the Zero stands for zero traction....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
V- you are correct, actually I do have the rossos and zero is exactly right when it comes to traction. What all weather tires would you suggest? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I only run summer tires on my Spyder (about to install Bridgestone Pole Positions) but, there are quite a number of members here who absolutely swear by Vredestein. And....they're designed in partnership with Giugiaro...so, there's a bit of Italian in the tires as well!

Here's a video on their extreme winter tire:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great stuff, but with RWD will it still grip in snow/ice?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
The SLK in the video is RWD. Perhaps someone here with a QP and Vredesteins can provide some feedback on their experience. Gents?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've been driving my QP in this snowy rainy stuff recently in DC. I find that hitting the ICE mode button helps reign me in... keeps the RPMs under 3000 and overrides manual shifting. I'm running the crappy Yokohama summer tires that came with my Sport GT (used) and havnt slipped too badly though with that ICE mode on. I wouldn't recommend pushing it when wet in a QP as I have slid out on dry extension-joints with the MSP on. Just a thought, though I'm also interested to hear a review of some Vredestein All-seasons...

·
Registered
183 Posts
You may want to start it up and get to operating temp once a week and roll it to prevent tire flat-spotting and keep the internals lubricated.
Second that, we've had pretty poor weather here and lots of salt on the roads so the car has been in the garage. However I always start her up once a week to blow out all the cobwebs.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Has anyone tried the Dunlop Direzza DZ101 on thier Masers? I hear these are the best for extreme drivers in both dry and wet climates.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Has anyone tried the Dunlop Direzza DZ101 on thier Masers? I hear these are the best for extreme drivers in both dry and wet climates.
"The Direzza DZ101 is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice." Straight from the TireRack.com review.

And their reviews are only so/so, with very poor reviews from people in wet areas.

·
Registered
778 Posts
"The Direzza DZ101 is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice." Straight from the TireRack.com review.

And their reviews are only so/so, with very poor reviews from people in wet areas.
eeek. I guess those are only good summer tires as well. They really dont make a great "all weather" tire do they?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I live in Minneapolis where the weather is garbage almost 6 months out of the year, and I use my QP as a daily driver.

I'm currently running 19 inch Rial Portos with Dunlop Wintersport Sp tires. I've driven QP's with different set-ups and found this one to be miles beyond the rest. I'll never go back to Bilzzacks. The handling is certainly compromised, but those Dunlops will get you anywhere you need to go (Safely!) no matter how much snow is outside.

I've also noticed that the cabin of the car will fog up much less if you air it out from time to time. The car will also be more friendly on cold days if you get the engine up to temperature before departing (good excuse to sip some coffee and just appreciate the thing).

... and for the love of God get a clear-bra if you are going to be driving in inclement weather. The sand and rocks that accumulate on the roads during the winter will eat the nose of your car.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm running Blizzaks on 19" rims. Working great on my QP in the snow and ice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts