Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just learned that the rear OEM wheels (19s on my 05 QP) are cracked. Both wheels, three cracks per wheel. No cracking of front wheels.

One of the rear tires started seeping air and this was the reason. Neither the tire shop nor the wheel repair shop said that cracking was common, they had ever seen anything like this (multiple cracks, both rears, not fronts).

Fortunately it appears this was repairable. One of the cracks had, however, really, began to separate (causing the leak) and would not have been safe at speed.

Both shops said their best theory was manufacturering defect. I am out of warranty now by a little bit; but since it was such as struggle sometimes to get Maserati to cover things under warranty I'm sure there is no chance of getting the wheels replaced.

Keep an eye on your wheels.

Ken

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
thanks for the warning. glad you caught it before something serious happen.

·
Registered
133 Posts
WOW! Are our QP wheels made by BBS, just like the GranSport Wheels? If so, they should cover the manufacture defect! Did you get in touch with them? I wouldn't let that go.

Definitely will keep an eye on mine. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Agreed, I cracked a rim on a 2002 Spyder, just out of warranty... Can't recall hitting anything or other abuse.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Two of my 18" wheels,one front and one rear, on my 02 coupe are cracked also. They are BBS. I have only one crack each wheel. The road here is pretty bad but I do not think that it is bad enough to crack my standard 18" wheels. I have one fix for about $150. Now I increase air pressure by a few lbs to help protecting my wheels a little bit more. I do not want to go for 19" wheels because I afraid that they will damage easier and also the tires cost the big bucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts