Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Press Release:

MASERATI PRESENTS THE QUATTROPORTE AUTOMATIC
With a view to broaden its range even further, Maserati is about to launch the new Quattroporte Automatic alongside the current Quattroporte fitted with the DuoSelect gearbox.

The name, Quattroporte Automatic, describes the car’s main innovation. It is fitted with an automatic six-speed ZF gearbox, which ensures a smooth, fluid gear change while allowing for rapid shifting, for improved driving comfort.

The all-new transmission system results in a slightly different weight distribution ratio (49% front, 51% rear, vs 47% front 53% rear of the DuoSelect version with transaxle layout), but still preserves the extremely sporty nature of the Quattroporte. The torque converter also boosts the progression of the V8 Maserati engine at low to medium speeds, without limiting its power.

The international press will be given a preview of the Quattroporte Automatic at the Detroit Motor Show, and the car will be on sale worldwide from January.

Launched in 2003, the Quattroporte immediately grabbed the attention of the media and car enthusiasts alike, thanks to its sophisticated, elegant design, specification and performance-enhancing technology. The Quattroporte has always been at the forefront of the luxury sports saloon market, since it created this new category back in 1963. It is now considered the archetype of this market segment, which is being explored by other prestigious names in the car industry. Since 2003, the Quattroporte has received 28 awards from the world’s most prestigious media: a tangible sign of its popularity in the motor industry and with the public.

Cheers,
Iwan

·
Registered
46 Posts
thank you for posting the pics and press release. I have been waiting to see what the gear shifter would look like. I think Maserati did a good job incorporating it into the interior.

·
Registered
202 Posts
their goes the neighborhood...so much for passion and uniqueness.

call me crazy but i will take a CC or Duo over a ZF any day

-willie

·
Registered
96 Posts
willie said:
their goes the neighborhood...so much for passion and uniqueness.

call me crazy but i will take a CC or Duo over a ZF any day

-willie
I agree, it just doesn't seem right for a Maserati to be an automatic. Nevertheless... This would boost Maserati's fortunes, which can only mean good things for us. :cool:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Mr. M said:
I agree, it just doesn't seem right for a Maserati to be an automatic. Nevertheless... This would boost Maserati's fortunes, which can only mean good things for us. :cool:
That's what Porsche owners thought, next thing they knew soccer moms in their Cayenne and 16 year old girls in their Boxsters had taken over the majority of sales! I for one am dissapointed, I hope the new Coupe gives us something to look forward to. I have one on order and I'm hoping I will be happy with the end result. If not, I'll probably go to Ferrari (of course I'd keep the 4200 but Maserati would never get my business with automatic cars)

·
Registered
46 Posts
The fact the maserati will still make keep the CC available is a good thing. Enthusiast obviously will still go with the CC transmission. The automatic came because Delaers asked for it. I don't think that is a bad thing. It would be horrible if Maserati was only going to produce automatic transmission equipped Quattroporte which was a rumor at one time.

·
Registered
528 Posts
As far as I am concerned, a paddle shift = Automatic Trans.
I feel the auto trans is a good thing for the 4 door, however, a real sports car should have 3 pedals on the floor.

I fear the day I wil have to buy a Porsche, just because they are the only manufacturer that still lets the driver shift for themselfe.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Strange that "real" sports cars = 3 pedals, while
"real" race cars = 2 pedals.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Glenn Wallace said:
No dry sump=lose.
Where do you see that?

I welcome an auto in the big 4-door. If I get an S-class type car I'd want a regular auto. I never cared for any automated manuals though, I think it's a poor application of technology for anything other than straight track driving.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I wonder what the reliability of the ZF automatic transmission will be?

My old 1980 Maserati 4Porte used the Chrysler A-727 Torqueflight and was as reliable and bullet proof as they come.

My only experience with a ZF automatic came with my wife's '91 Alfa Romeo 164L. When that thing went out at 99K miles, its cost $4500.00 to have it rebuilt. Ouch.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I believe it is a variation of the ZF from the BMW lineup I think. I dont know exactly which one but i would think from the 7 series. I also am not a transmission expert so i dont know what the lineup of cars that ZF makes transmissions for.

T

·
Registered
54 Posts
Flappy Paddle Gearboxes

CC/DuoSelect/DSG transmissions are the future!! EPA regulations will force manual transmissions in to extinction. Until the CC/DouSelect/DSG transmisson is perfected, regular automatics will be popular in "performance" cars.All we can hope is that Maserati does not loose there way, as they have in the past.

DrEvil
2005 Maserati Gransport {LEMONED}
2003 Ducati ST4s

" I Fought the Law, and I won !"

·
Registered
183 Posts
treuter said:
I believe it is a variation of the ZF from the BMW lineup I think. I dont know exactly which one but i would think from the 7 series. I also am not a transmission expert so i dont know what the lineup of cars that ZF makes transmissions for.

T
There is a 6 speed ZF auto in the outgoing X5 4.8iS, from what I've heard/experienced its a reliable and nice box.

·
Registered
96 Posts
treuter said:

T
The ZF transmission we see in the QP is also the same one in the E65 7 Series as well as the VW Phaeton - its association with these German companies would almost certainly quell worries about its reliability issues for good.

·
Registered
202 Posts
listen,

no offence to the guys that "Welcome the automatic transmission" but come on man. go get a Lexus or Mercedes.

masaerati is something special, a small amount of people actually know that history of Maserati. this company has more heritage than Ferrari. it has succeeded against all odds. (and trust me when i say that in a second the company could have been erased from history)

it is a miracle that we even have the ability to purchase a Maserati. i really feel sad when i read that a company i love is making wrong choices. i understand profit more than anyone, but it still not cool.

oh well, i guess its like the saying "if its too laud, your too old". maybe one day i will want an automatic.

-willie

·
Registered
390 Posts
willie said:
listen,

no offence to the guys that "Welcome the automatic transmission" but come on man. go get a Lexus or Mercedes.

masaerati is something special, a small amount of people actually know that history of Maserati. this company has more heritage than Ferrari. it has succeeded against all odds. (and trust me when i say that in a second the company could have been erased from history)
I'm sorry but that Cambio is crap. Real men work three pedals. Give me a real manual or a good automatic, but this half-and-half that can only do a bad impression of both just doesn't cut it.

Automatics today are so good there is no need for the complexity and reliability issues inherent with the Duoselect (if you must go with two pedals). I'd welcome a REAL manual, but barring that give me something that I can drive like I stole it without all the issues, and that's what the ZF is.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I disagree - the DuoS / CambioC is an excellent piece of engineering. I also disagree with it being half-way automatic, half-way manual. Its a manual, with a robotic clutch, which makes it faster than a person shifting manual. This is why Formula 1 uses the same design.

It requires some time to learn and even more time to appreciate. When I test drove a CC for the first time I nearly gave my wife and the salesman whiplash injuries. After 6 months and 10k miles I love it and don't want a manual or automatic.

Maserati has got to make money for the Fiat group and that means volume. The dealers demanded automatic for the QP and got it. The automatic does bring the Maserati "downmarket" in IMHO, but that is the cost of getting volumes up and making money.

- Toffe

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
As the name implies, the F1 transmissions were designed for a very specific purpose; Formula 1 racing. F1 racing and daily driving are 2 VERY different things. Commuter driving with a manual transmission has always been a pain in the a$$ but you are able to apply throttle, brake, clutch manually as appropriate for the situation (i.e. bumper-to-bumper up a hill). Can you imagine sitting in traffic and purpously shifting the way the F1 does? No wonder the clutch fries.

I love the Cambiocorsa on the Coupe/Spyder. It's what gives the car real exotic character. But the QP is a different animal. I'm a gear head and I WANT the complexity and quirkiness of the CC. But a successful doctor/lawyer who commutes in downtown traffic every day should be afforded the luxury of a true automatic. Good or bad, MANY more QP's will be sold. The luxury car market SUCKS right now and the Maserati is a diamond in the rough. I say good for Maserati!

Buzz

·
Registered
528 Posts
F. Yu said:
Strange that "real" sports cars = 3 pedals, while
"real" race cars = 2 pedals.
This comment ony holds true if one limits the definition of REAL race cars. It one looks at the total # of cars on race tracks, (not just F1) there are plenty of 3 pedal race cars.

Loooking at Sprts Cars
In the Porsche world, 3 pedal cars are the norm, and the cars with tiptronic are slow movers in the second hand market.
In talks with Maserati dealers, used coupes with the 6MT sell MUCH faster than the CC.
In looked at used Ferrari 355s, there seems to be a preference to the 6MT cars.

If Maserati wants to compete with Porsche in the sports car market, it should pay attention to what the customer wants.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts