Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of changing my 4200 GT for either a QP Sport GT-S or a GranTurismo. Thought I would seek the views of those who have experience of driving both for a length of time.

Apart from the obvious differences between the two (space, practicality etc) what is the better car to own? I have just driven both cars and whilst I did like the GT very much I was really impressed with the QP which for a car that size had a very good ride handling compromise, better I would say than the GT. The interior of the QP is also a much more impressive place to be in with all of the Alcantara off setting the leather. The GT was nice but didn't feel quite so special although the nsat nav and Bose stereo seemed much better. Both were finished in Mediterano Blu which was stunning on both cars and a colour I would really recommend people consider (albeit it at a cost) if looking for a change from black or grey, both of which seem to be the preferred choice from the searches I have done.

I guess both are a huge step forward from my current car and being a die hard manual transmission fan was very surprised and impressed with the ZF auto box in both cars, not quite as much control as a full manual but very smooth up changes and down changes were not too bad either. Whilst both cars felt slightly slower to respond than my current car I do not believe that would be a huge problem once I got used to them and unless you are canning them suspect in day to day driving the difference in performance will not be very noticeable.

I suppose that I have got used to driving a Coupe for the last 2 years and have really enjoyed it and thought I would naturally prefer the GT as a result. I was therefore surprised by how good the GT-S is and felt the GT was a little underwhelming in comparison. Is this fair or do you think with ownership the GT comes into its own? I know this is not really comparing apples with apples but thought I would see what views this might generate. Many thanks.

Cheers

Carl

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Have you considered the GranTurismo S ? I'd say it's a better upgrade from your 4200 than both the QP and GranTurismo.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Niteroi

I have considered a GranTurismo S but am not sure about how the paddle shift would work on the daily commute in London. dealer is not convinced I would like it and didn't have one for me to test drive so still can't say. The 4200 CC drove me mad in London traffic and trying to 3 point turn and parallel park! I do think the interior is much better in the S than the standard GranTurismo and the thought of the 4.7L engine certainly appeals so it is a maybe but have been offered a good price for my 4200 against the QP. Still waiting for a price against the GT but have been told will not be nearly as good a financial deal.

As an aside, dealer had an Alfa 8C in when we visited and fired it up for us, all I can say is WOW! That is one awsome car and looks and sounds the complete business. Sadly was told they are currently going for about £180k which is well over list and was also shown the "boot", which might take a thin envelope - really! Still want one though.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I own the Granturismo, but drove the Quattro for a nice 2 hour test drive.
The ride doesn't compare, the feel doesn't compare, and I personally think the GT interior is nicer. Unless you have a need to haul around 3~4 passengers on a regular basis, I recommend GT heads and shoulders above the QP.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Hi Niteroi

I have considered a GranTurismo S but am not sure about how the paddle shift would work on the daily commute in London. dealer is not convinced I would like it and didn't have one for me to test drive so still can't say. The 4200 CC drove me mad in London traffic and trying to 3 point turn and parallel park! I do think the interior is much better in the S than the standard GranTurismo and the thought of the 4.7L engine certainly appeals so it is a maybe but have been offered a good price for my 4200 against the QP. Still waiting for a price against the GT but have been told will not be nearly as good a financial deal.

As an aside, dealer had an Alfa 8C in when we visited and fired it up for us, all I can say is WOW! That is one awsome car and looks and sounds the complete business. Sadly was told they are currently going for about £180k which is well over list and was also shown the "boot", which might take a thin envelope - really! Still want one though.

The GT S is supposed to sound just like the 8C by the way (they share the same engine afterall) … ;)

I drive my GranSport (with paddle shifts) in Tokyo traffic and I don't have particular problems with it. If anything, it keeps me a little bit more focused whilst stuck in traffic jams than an auto would be.

I test drove the GT (not S) twice and always prefered to use the paddles despite the auto gearbox.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Honestly, IMO a sports car must be a stick shift. Period. The CC is the new stick, and from now on we have to get used to that idea, because very soon there will be no real manual transmission on high end cars.

If you hit traffic bad enough that you need an auto transmission, then you shouldn't be driving a sports car. Period. What's the point of being in a car that does 185 and 0-60 in 4.5 sec if you are going to be stuck in traffic?

I think you should buy a Smart Car for your daily drive and have a real sports car for thr weekend.

But if you want to look good, and it's totally fine, buy a QP or a GT with the ZF transmission.

·
Registered
181 Posts
for someone like me who won't be caught dead in a smart car, a high-end coupe or sedan is perfect for daily use. a sporty coupe or sedan with an automatic transmission like the GT and QP is ideal. if i want to kick it into manual mode, then i have that option.
a guy like bigfoot that can deal with manual tranmission in tokyo traffic, is a brave soul. that being said, manual transmission in heavy seoul or manhattan (and likely london) traffic will induce suicidal thoughts. you won't get out of 2nd gear 99% of the time.
plus, it isn't fun talking on your cellphone (regardless if it is not legal) while doing manual shifting.
GT is perfect for having an option of manual and auto. But.... you may find the GT a bit slow for your taste. You may end up like me and put it into "sport" mode 90% of the time when in auto.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tend to agree with Niteroi that the CC bpxes are the new stick shifts and that we are likely to just have to accept this as more top end marques drop the stick. Having said that every one that I have used is inferior to a stick shift. Alright they may be able to change quicker than I could with a hand and foot but that is generally in extremis. Day to day having to reverse, parallel park and do 3 point turns, they offer far less control and significantly more clutch wear. Which is why I am considering the auto QP and GT.

As for having a Smart car - Hell would need to freeze over first! The reality is that the GT and for that matter the Coupe, are not real sports cars. They offer a very good compromise between being able to offer a sporty character but also do the daily commute if so required, they are probably unique in that respect and is one of the reasons we all love our cars. However, if I wanted a pure weekend sports car I would likely have something more focused, such as a F430.

As maters currently stand the dealer has now got back to me with a price which offers standard trade in for my Coupe and list price for the GT, which is 2 months old and has done 2,200 miles, which is not a very appealing package. Is demand for the GT still so high that dealers can get away with this? If so I may as well wait and simply order a new one to my spec. or just take the QP now and maybe see how it goes with the intention of ordering a GT for next year.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi, i just purchased a demo GT 3 weeks ago and was offered a similar deal to yours, in the end i haggled some more but basically found that trade in against at new GT was not an attractive option at several dealers, going cash in hand would give you a much better deal if at all possible.

Stuart

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stuart

That is probably good advice and as you say the trade in figures against a GT are not attractive. Trouble is if I am going to do this I need to do it before our road trip to the South of France which does not give me much time to sell privately and the car still needs to go to Larini to have sports cats fitted. As I have a blown cat this needs to be done before I could sell privately and as Larini are offering to do this for free I would be made not to take them up on it.

I have also spoken to the dealer who will give me additional cash for my car against the QP and we have agreed that he will give me an agreed trade in value for it in a year's time against the purchase of a new GranTurismo S, which I think I might do. Its an expensive year's motoring but this is off set against the very good trade-in/discount on the QP I am getting. Am also hoping the money markets will have improved by then!

Cheers

Carl

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi carl
just one more thought worth sharing is the clutch issue. i decided against the Gran Tusimo S mainly due to the issues i've had with clutch wear in london on my QP, granted the new car is slightly different clutch to my 05 QP but rather than have the worry i opted for the "sensible" option with the auto box, not the same fun but i spend so little time on the open road that it makes sense 90% of the time.

Best luck whatever you choose.

Stuart.

·
Registered
191 Posts
apples to oranges

I think you answered your own question.... really not a fair to compare the QP to the GT..... I turned in an Audi A-8 for my Gran Turismo... one is like driving a bus the other a "semi sports car"

(even though the audi had some gitty up, dragging 4 doors around made me feel like I was driving my Dads car to the prom)

the GT in "sport mode" is plenty of car for me for city street driving in the USA.....

Seems to me that it really comes down to seats and the need for 4 seats, baby seat, etc... or not

although the GT back seats is not bad....

good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts