Maserati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
4,687 Posts
Ok, we are 20 post into a guessing game here..My best advice was take it back to your dealer and let them drive it for a few days..Trying to diagnosis noises and vibrations via the internet is really not a great way to do it..Your first post on this was 12 hours ago...You are in the same place...Just saying..J

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Jason that’s the plan...was looking for more inside on what the issue could be not what is... but you right ...12 hours later still no inside &/or if anyone else has experience similar issue. BTW ... thought the forum is for ppl to seek others input and not necessarily the advise to go to dealer. Bit older than 12 so I know this is irrefutable. Thank you.
I am out.

4,687 Posts
My advice was based on the fact on work on these cars daily...I know the common problems...Roll with billgt1 and check the tire pressures...They like to act up every 2 hours or so... :unsure: Jason

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Mas43....checked. The vabration / shacking is quite bad... I had bad tires before etc... but this is quite something. Never had car shake like this before. It is literally shaking the ...the whole thing is. LOL.
I took it today to tire shop to check balance. All wheels were off and front ones (both) as much as 0.95 - was surprised as those are 3-4 mounts new tires that only have 1000 miles in it. Now I just need to drive it for a while to see if it happens again. Thinking... just maybe ... and hope that b/c tires off balance it could screw up the driveshaft self balancing thing. I am going to Maserati dealer next week to talk to the shop manager and take him for a drive. He said it could be few things... including some lose staff in differential. But at this point no one knows as it doesn’t happen all the time and there are no obvious noises / knocks or persist issues.

4,687 Posts
My last time commenting on this...I would ask the service manager if the shop foreman would drive the car for a few days and see if it will act up in front of him....It is common practice with stuff like this..I have a cranky 355 in my garage right now...Jason

·
Registered
31 Posts
I totally agree with Jason on the potential futility of "internet diagnosis" in certain situations; having said that, the fact it seems to be basically related to simple forward motion at speed, it does suggest it's related to the wheels. Balance being out is a good shout. Or perhaps a sticky brake caliper/parking brake.

I'm going to stop now... I don't even have a QP

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Mas430... good staff... it could be breaks...

Not looking for a fix but a brainstorm session... that’s how i learn. Will be taking it to Maserati dealer next week... but till then I will check the breaks as you suggested

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sounds like u could have bad tires. I’m almost positive. Especially if it’s happening at only higher speeds. Get those checked out

·
Registered
283 Posts
You need to track all of the symptoms and circumstances and see how you can re-create the problem. If it doesn't happen while braking, why would it be the brakes?
speed, rpms, transmission gear, weather, accelerating, time, distance - Whenever it happens, take note of everything that was occurring and all of the circumstances. It is very hard to diagnose these intermittent problems that can't be re-created.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone can you please let me know what could be the cause of Maserati QP to start shaking while driving. It comes and goes. Sometimes I can drive for and hours and nothing and then car starts shaking (whole car). Then I pull over and start driving again and shaking is gone. While driving and car shaking I switch to N and shaking still there. It almost seems like I have to stop the car for this to go away.
Please make an transmission alignment. Physical alignment NOT by computer. Maserati mechanic must know this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does your check engine light come on when this happens? I have had a similar symptom with my 2017 QP GTS but my when it happens the check engine light comes on for a short while and then goes off. I was also thinking suspension, rear end issues, etc...but actually it was a problem with the fuel injection system which was causing the engine to badly misfire and run very rough. The dealer was able to diagnose the problem and replaced the high pressure injection pumps and rails, etc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
No engine light ... and when I drive 50mph while this happens I switched to N and let the car roll. No difference so I don’t think is fuel / engine related. I don’t think I have any misfire. But then it’s possible one cylinder may have issue but then why it happens once in a while. If something is broken that it should stay broken. LOL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Haha, you might think once it's broken it would stay broken but that wasn't my experience. It would definitely come and go... initially it did this when I was accelerating on to the freeway through the 50mph range and then the last time it did it was when I was backing into a parking spot. It's very transitory in that the car would shake and be very rough for a very short period (less than 60 seconds) and then it runs okay.

BTW, I don't know think shifting to N eliminates the engine as a potential source of the problem.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi, not sure if you have found the answer yet, but I will throw a possibility out there. I had a similar issues once and it turned out to be a broken belt inside one of the tires. It caused considerable shaking and like you said, only at specific speeds. Go faster or slower and it tends to disappear. Just a thought..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Done almost all I could .... still happening once in a while. Very strange ... driving for 2-3 days nothing, then car stars vibrate like crazy. When it dose, I will pull over wait a minute, drive gain and it disappears. No one know what the heck is going on. No codes and nothing shows during MD diagnostics. So no one what’s to start replacing things as no one knows where to start. LOL.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So still same issue... but yesterday when i was driving the shaking happen again for good 1-2 minutes....I stop and look around. And noticed burning smell / smoke coming from both rear wheels. Also both wheels were extremely hot. No visual issues with rotors as they are brand new. This lead me to think is the electronic parking break issue...the only thing that wasn’t check yet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Interesting.....if the rear parking break sizing then that would explain the vibration as well... correct? Only thing that puzzle me is why it sizing once in a while.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts