Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone can you please let me know what could be the cause of Maserati QP to start shaking while driving. It comes and goes. Sometimes I can drive for and hours and nothing and then car starts shaking (whole car). Then I pull over and start driving again and shaking is gone. While driving and car shaking I switch to N and shaking still there. It almost seems like I have to stop the car for this to go away.

·
Registered
283 Posts
How many miles are on your car and what year is it? Does this happen when you reach a certain speed or when you hit a bumpy patch in the road? Some of these answers will help diagnose whether it is suspension/steering related.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles are on your car and what year is it? Does this happen when you reach a certain speed or when you hit a bumpy patch in the road? Some of these answers will help diagnose whether it is suspension/steering related.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is 2014 QPGTS With 38k miles. It happens around 40-55 mph. Is kind of like the whole car start shaking. It seems like it loosing a bit of power but still accelerating. It is very noticeable vibration/ shake. Then when I just slow down or stop it is going away. Happened quite few times in past month or two. But strangely when I am at 40 mph and switched to N it still shake with idle RPM and until I stop and resume driving it won’t go away.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Have you had the control arm bushings inspected?
Any new rims on the car?

4,694 Posts
I would take the car and have a professional look at it...With that low of miles you shouldn't have any issues with chassis components..You are gonna get like 15 guesses on here and still not be any closer to the answer without a proper diagnosis......Jason

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No new rims...had alignment done at Maserati after I experience this car shake... all normal at the suspension.

Maserati looked at it but it doesn’t happen all the time / no codes / no replication during drive test... I can drive for 2 hours and nothing... then drive for 30 min and it happens than I stop / start driving and it is gone till next time...but there is no vivid correlation to anything... only thing I notice that the vibration continue in N with low RPM while car still going 40 mph.

4,694 Posts
Ok...There was a little more to the story obviously....If the dealer looked at it and didn't see anything then I'm pretty sure it won't get fixed on a forum...Here is what I would do....Keep driving it until it gets worse and does it enough to diagnosis or take it back to Maserati and tell them to drive the car for a few days and that a tech. can drive the car home...The car will be covered on shop insurance so no worries there...Sometimes that is what is needed to get a car to act up....Jason

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jason I didn’t ask for a fix. Just was wondering if anyone know what it could be... yes I am driving and waiting for this thing to get worst / more frequent so the “bright” techs and fix an obvious. But fixing already broken thing is not a knowledge. I am pretty sure you &/or other guys here can speculate and that all I was asking for. Mostly.... don’t want to end up dead while driving if it is a serious issue. And yes it is frustrating that even dealer don’t know what it is. It could take hours / days of driving to duplicate But even then what would be the point if there is no codes no plain side / obvious issues. Please don’t take this personally...as I am truly just trying to understand what it could be the worst case scenario. One additional thing. I noticed (once in a while) humming / buzzing noise coming from rear of the car after I turn off engine off. Once again... I am fine with a list of speculations.

4,694 Posts
How could I take it personally? It is not my car to fix...It is probably not that the techs are not knowledgeable, more likely they can't get it to do it to even to come up with a repair...You can't expect them to test drive the car for 2 hours...I doubt you are gonna end up dead if the car has been looked over...Fixing a broken thing is knowledge...Diagnosing something that is not currently doing it is pretty much impossible....I'll let the other guys help you with your list...I gave you my best advice...Jason

·
Registered
2014 GT S Rosso Trionfale
162 Posts
Things to check tires tire psi tire balance turning left or right change anything long shot on that drive shaft and intermediate bearing IE bearing in 2 piece drive shaft rubber parts of drive shaft that's what i would look at and one more long shot loose lug nuts happy hunting

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Billgt1 thank you... well I will take it to dealer again. Not sure what to check anymore. The car is shaking like a madness. Sometimes it dose for a while and other times is a smooth ride. But when it shakes I do notice lost of power ...still can accelerate but not as fast. But then it shakes so much that I don’t want to drive fast. While shaking I do switch to N but it doesn’t make any difference. Can an alignment guy do anything to screw things up? Only one think that was done to the car recently and before this crap a new set of front tires and alignment. That was months ago. I checked the nuts and those look ok.

·
Registered
2014 GT S Rosso Trionfale
162 Posts
when you say shaking you do mean the car vibrates while rolling, and can you feel the vibrating in the steering, or the engine is shaking or vibrating the car if you know you can look at the tires for wear on inside or out side from alignment problems or low air psi in tiers but i dont think it would cause shaking you should find a different dealer or shop that works on foreign cars. side note did you have any trans work done

4,694 Posts
Generally, mechanical issues are just what they are..Ball joints, control arm bushings, alignment etc...don't start acting up 2 hours later...J

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Billgt1 ... the whole car is shaking...not much the steering wheel but whole body. No trans work no other issue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jason... well this thing comes and goes... Sometimes I drive for hours no issue ... next day I drive for 29 min and it shakes like crazy.... I stop and drive again no issue till next time. I know if something is bad then it bad ... but this one really pissing me off. LOL.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don’t think is engine or transmission as during the shaking at 40/50 mph I switch to neutral and rpm goes down to 750 or so and car still shaking same way antill I stop and resume driving.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts