Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i fear the honeymoon is coming to an end....

Over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed a slightly rougher idle from startup until the engine is fully warm at 195deg. There's the tiniest amount of hunting early on, then the idle speed settles completely, dropping from about 1000 to 800 in the course of warming.

The roughness is heard more than felt, and the engine note doesn't have the same smoothness until fully warm.

Additionally, on right turns, there's a perceptible note from the front left wheel, which also goes away when warm. If it didn't I'd fear a bearing, or perhaps even the wheel hitting the wheel well trim. Seems the same in Sport or Normal, but hard to tell. Perhaps Skyhook?

As you can tell, my mind is all over the place. However I do have a high degree of "mechanical sympathy" and am an engineer, so am not simply paranoid. I'm reluctant to go to the shop without thinking it through first

·
Registered
340 Posts
My car idles the same way and I asked the dealership about it and they told me that it was normal.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Additionally, on right turns, there's a perceptible note from the front left wheel, which also goes away when warm. If it didn't I'd fear a bearing, or perhaps even the wheel hitting the wheel well trim. Seems the same in Sport or Normal, but hard to tell. Perhaps Skyhook?
I had the same problem, only on right turns when the car wasn't warm yet. It was one of the clutch bearings, either Pilot or Bellhousing. I replaced them (full clutch service) and the noise is gone.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
interesting. I'll check the service records tonight for bearing replacement when the previous owner had a clutch put in.

niteroi - did your rumble go away when warm too?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went to the FMBH service facility in Santa Monica yesterday to check it out and make an appointment. They believe the noise may be a failing motor mount. This could fit the symptoms, given the mounts are hydraulic.

Anyone else had a failed mount? Symptoms?

·
Registered
1 Posts
About the rough idle...

It could be the motor mounts. Maserati has come out with upgraded mounts since '05. And the new ones should have heat shields installed to extend the durability.

Could also be a motronic software issue. Have your dealer check the software level to confirm you are up to date.

Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts