Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Washington, DC area got hit with freezing rain/ice storm this evening. I purposely drove the QP outfitted with Pirelli Sotozero Winter Tires this morning to see how it would perform during the inclement weather expected in the evening. I had it in Ice Mode and the QP performed very well with the winter tires. I didn't feel any slipping at all during my 2.5 hour trip (due to traffic) to my house, which I drove at speeds ranging from 60MPH to 25MPH. The roads were definitely icy because I saw no less than a dozen ice related accidents. When I finally got home, the car was covered in ice when I pulled into my garage. After an unusually warm winter, I was finally able to put the winter tires through a true test.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Winter Tires

Hello, I also have winter snow/ice tires on my coupe and agree 100% that it does very well with the correct tires and the traction control doing its job.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The Washington, DC area got hit with freezing rain/ice storm this evening. I purposely drove the QP outfitted with Pirelli Sotozero Winter Tires this morning to see how it would perform during the inclement weather expected in the evening. I had it in Ice Mode and the QP performed very well with the winter tires. I didn't feel any slipping at all during my 2.5 hour trip (due to traffic) to my house, which I drove at speeds ranging from 60MPH to 25MPH. The roads were definitely icy because I saw no less than a dozen ice related accidents. When I finally got home, the car was covered in ice when I pulled into my garage. After an unusually warm winter, I was finally able to put the winter tires through a true test.
Good to hear, my friend is considering a Maser Coupe in the near future and i was wondering how the heating/defrost system works on your Maser, is it effective? does it take a long time?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a coupe; however, I didn't notice any issues with ice build up on the windscreen or rear window while driving in the ice storm. My Aston Martin (which has never been driven in poor weather) and Range Rover both have heater elements in the front windscreen and work great in icy weather -- I don't know if that's an option on the Maserati.

I think the bottom line on my original post is that I derived a strange pleasure of having a sporty sedan that handled the ice well while Mercs, BMWs, etc. were sliding of the road. However, if not for the winter tires, I would probably want to throw the QP out/give it away by the time I returned home last night.

·
Registered
52 Posts
snow tires

I have been a big believer in the benefits of snow tires for a very long time. When I was 17 I had a lancia Beta Coupe and installed Gilslavid frost snow tires and had them put the tungsten carbide studs in......It was amazing how well the car handled the ice and snow. Since that experience I always have snow tires installed in 2 wheel drive vehicles that I plan to use in the snow, I even have a set on my old QP, just installed them 2 weeks ago in case I decide to go out in the snow. I wish we could put the studs in the tires here in the USA, although they do tear up the roads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts