Maserati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned many many rear wheel drive cars but I must say the QP is the WORST I have driven on snow/ice. Do they make snow's in the 19 for it? Tirerack says no. Anyone driving with snows and how much better does it make it?

I just need it to get me though if I get caught out in a light snowfall.

·
Registered
518 Posts
buy a set of beater aluminum rims with snows mounted and balanced...it is easier on the tires then mounting and dismounting each season

the rack should have a tire and wheel combo package for the QP you can usually save quite a bit of coin and time just getting the things ready to bolt on.

·
Registered
722 Posts
You may want some skinnier tires for snow anyway, on 18" rims.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a Lincoln LS which will beat the QP hands down. 1" of snow and a 3 degree grade is enough to sideline me!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Tires make a world of difference. I just got a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks in 20" for my wife's FX 45 from Tirerack. They are incredible in the snow and rain.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
sorry you got caught but it is better to leave the QP home and drive your porsches.

the p zeros are not made for snow.....

·
Registered
441 Posts
any high performance car with big fat summer tires is not going to be any faster than an old rusty tercel with skinny snow tires in snow.

narrow tire helps dig thru mushy snow and find traction underneath.

tire compound makes huge difference too.

summer tire rubber becomes stone hard in snow condition and has no traction.

all said, i used to drive in snow with then "hi performance" Yokohama A509s when I was young and stupid... but oh fun!

jess

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned many many rear wheel drive cars but I must say the QP is the WORST I have driven on snow/ice. Do they make snow's in the 19 for it? Tirerack says no. Anyone driving with snows and how much better does it make it?

I just need it to get me though if I get caught out in a light snowfall.
Call Continental in Hinsdale IL. They have a winter wheel/tire package that works very well for about $3,000.00

·
Registered
909 Posts
You've got a lot more options for snowtires on these this year than in years past.

We (and the rest of the dealers) can order 18, 19 and 20" full width snow tires from Maserati. (stock levels are getting low though)

I've also done the 19" front wheel with spacers for the rear of the car, and the appropriate snow tire all around - which works pretty well - and was necessary when the full width 19" rear wasn't available.

There are also a handful of 18" aftermarket wheels available now that fit the car. We've been ordering one set from tirerack - that is now sold out - but there were a few others still available last I checked.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I purchased a set of Pirelli Sotozeros from Tirerack and mounted them on a set of factory 18 inch rims that I purchased off Ebay. I've seen a few 18 inch sets sell for under $1K because in many instances people are selling them after they upgraded to the 19-20s. The entire setup was less than $3K, which also included purchasing the TPMS sensors. The Sotozeros worked extremely well in the wintery conditions I've experienced so far. Traction was excellent and I didn't feel that my life/car was in danger of sliding off the road. Performance was also excellent on rainy days. On dry pavement the tires are noticeably noisier than the Pirelli Rossos. I haven't, however, driven the car in snow deeper than 2 inches.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Maserati Minneapolis, have you put any of the 18's that they have on Tire Rack on a Sport GT? I thought about going that way but didn't want the risk of not clearing the bigger brakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know the 18's that Continental are using work with no problems on a Sport GT. 18 inch is the best solution for maxium snow traction.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts