Maserati Forum banner

Qp Gt-s Or Gt?

4K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  NIKOS 
#1 ·
Hi all. I need some opinons from you guys so that you help me make up my mind. Here it is:

I have an opportunity to buy a QP GT-S with 1.800 miles on the clock or go for a new Gran Turismo for more money than the QP. The Gran Turismo S is out of my reach so it is not an option. Wife and friends say that the Gran Turismo is much better looking etc. Dealers in the UK i spoke to say the QP GT-S is a better car than the GT and they suggest to go for the QP since i cannot afford the GTS. i KNOW BEUTY IS IN THE EYES OF THE BEHOLDER ETC BUT I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT the QP is also a head turner and if indeed is a better car than the GT and cheper in this case then maybe it woukld not be such a bad idea to go for it.

I would really appreciate the views from people like you that actually drove these two cars and know all abouth them to make up my mind rather than listen to people who don't really know these cars from personal experiences.

THANKS!!

#3 ·
Hi NIKOS

I have just taken delivery of a new QP GT-S but also drove the GT back to back with the QP as I was like you potnetially interested in buying either one. I think it ultimately comes down to personal preference and what you will use the car for. Both are very good cars and you would have a great ownership experience in either one, but for me I found the QP was the more resolved car when pressing on hard along a country A road. The suspension does a remarkable job of keeping the QP under control and was in my view noticeably better than the GT in this respect.

In terms of cornering ability I did not think there was that much between them but the GT may have a slight edge, but didn't really get a chance to push either car that hard and too be honest it wasn't really appropriate to do that but taking some fast sweepers at about 7 or 8/10ths I didn't think there was much to choose. As regards outright speed, again I don't think there is that much between them, the GT probably has the edge but it is not significant. Both are big heavy cars and the engine really needs to be revved hard to make brisk progress, my Coupe was significantly faster than both of these although was nothing like as composed through the turns. Having had my Coupe for 2 years it is a very big difference to now be driving a big 4 door saloon car again and you simply cannot chuck it about as much as you could the Coupe. Having said that, the GT is apparently only about 120mm shorter than the QP so in that respect neither car would be as chuckable as the Coupe.

I did however think the interior of the QP was a nicer place to be with the Alcantara headlining, door inserts and steering wheel as well as having more toys and gadgets that the GT, plus it also has a much more practical boot, I was actuallydisappointed at the size of the boot on the GT, for such a big car it has a surprisingly small boot.

Like I said I think it really depends what you are looking for and I would certainly not be put off the QP because others think the GT is a better looking car, it probably is but the QP is also stunning in its own right (although it is quite colour dependant) and mine has already received numerous compliments and admiring looks.

The only downside for me (and it applies to both cars equally) is that they could really do with a more powerful engine and in that respect I mean having more torque as opposed to more horsepower. I used to have an E39 M5 a few years ago and its ability to surge forward with the slightest brush of the throttle was utterly addictive, neither of the Masers is in that league but if you can accept that (which I have for the time being - although I am going to test drive the GT S when they are available in September) then you will not make a wrong decision regardless of which car you choose. Hope this helps but let me know if you need any further insight.

Cheers

Carl

#5 ·
I have my GT-S for just over 1 month, I just love the car in every respects. So far I don't see any other GT-S in town, and it gains a lot of attention on the road.:D My right choice for a 4 door sedan.
Don't know how much you can save on the GT-S, but you've also to take into consideration the '09 face lift model is already in production schedule. I don't have a chance to test drive the GT, but must say it's more eye catching and sounds great. If it is your second car, no point not to go for a GT.

#7 ·
Hi,
i've recently gone from a QP into a GT (neither are "S" versions) and would note a few differences:

Ride on the GT is much stiffer / harsher than the QP and hence cornering slightly better. The diff in length of the 2 cars is 20cm i think (not 12cm?) so parking in london is a little easier thankfully. More toys on my QP which i miss. I've noticed very little diff in performance between the 2 cars (expected) Driving position feels nicer in the GT , enlcosed, cocooned etc however side pillars do get in the way of blind spot and seats are firmer in GT. Much more looks from passers by for the GT. GT is more noisy in cabin (exhaust and tyre noise) QP a little more refined. GT getting slightly better fuel economy

Both are beautiful cars and a joy to drive so either way you'll make a great choice.

Stuart

#8 ·
Many thanks Stuart for taking the time to reply. I start to feel better hearing the positive comments on the QP. I will test drive the GT on Wednesday and will have to make up my mind pretty soon or the QP on offer might be sold to another buyer( in case i decide to go for it).

#10 ·
Although these cars share a lot of the same technology, they are totally different and serve completely different purposes. It really depends on what you are looking for with this vehicle. It sounds like you do not need to add another sedan to the collection, and if you are looking for wow factor, and awesome looks, the GranTurismo is the way to go. Dont get me wrong, the QP is a great looking car, but it didnt have me at the Maser dealer the next day with my checkbook, like the GT did ;) Either one is a great choice!

#11 ·
Don't rush on your decision NIKOS, there are plenty of QPs and GTs on the market. The GTS is coming, so many GT potential buyers are waiting to check it out before making a decison. Same thing with the QP, now that the new model was made public a lot of people will wait for it. So "you are on the driver's seat" buddy! Test-drive both as many times as you think it's necessary to make your decision, make offers. Take your time.

Having said that, if I already had an X5 (kids hauler) I'll definitely go for the GT. It just makes more sense. IMO, of course.

#12 ·
The one think i know for sure is that i like the old QP better than the facelifted version and taking into account that i can get the old QP(EVEN BRAND NEW) at a discounted price settles it for me.

I never had a two door Gran Touring or Coupe and i guess this is one of the reasons that i am not so sure whether to go for the QP or the GT. In order of priority i would seek the following elements:

1. Individuality/looks( i am 45 and would hate to drive any of the common German cars beeing driven by people much older than me and which are so common in the streets)
2. Comfort/luxury/
3. Speed

I live in Cyprus and there are very high taxes for big cars here while we are right hand drive so the only available market to get a second hand car is the UK. To give you an idea the QP costs around 170.000 Euro while the GTS would cost around 200.000 Euro just because it has a bigger engine(plus the premium of the factory over the GT)

#14 ·
In order of priority i would seek the following elements:

1. Individuality/looks( i am 45 and would hate to drive any of the common German cars beeing driven by people much older than me and which are so common in the streets)
2. Comfort/luxury/
3. Speed
1. The GT clearly wins here, even the QP gets a bit lost in a sea of S classes, but the GT stands out in a pack of CL's.

2. The QP is probably a bit more comfortable given the fact its suspension is not as stiff, and the seats are a bit more comfortable.

3. The GT probably has a slight edge here

Given your desidered elements, with the 1st being most important, it looks like you picked the GT to me, since 2 and 3 kind of cancel themsleves out ;)

#16 ·
is this even a question???
if you want a coupe, get the GT
if you want a sedan, get the QP

i debated this decision for maybe a split second, but it was GT all the way. while keeping the GT, i'm contemplating getting a QP GT-S next year as my "family car" because it's roomier.

#18 ·
good point about the attention, prado. the QP is nice and exotic, but since there are so many S-classes and BMW 7's here it kind of blends in with the high-end luxury sedan crowd. took a 3-hr test drive with the QP. turns some heads, not a lot though. on the contrary, EVERYONE stares at the GT.

#22 ·
I have test driven the GT yesterday. A stunning looking car and great engine. I decided to go however for the QP GT-S so i paid a deposit just now and am really excited:)

Thank you all for the opinions here and look forward to continue exchanging views and experiences about this exciting brand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.