Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Maserati RM (Matt)

I just had my QP into your shop for a couple small items the other day. Thought you all did a good job.

Question: (to Matt or whomever) Putting gas in this car is a real issue. It is my perception that it has gotten worse over time I cannot ever just set the gas nozzle and fill it. A good fill up has maybe 50 click offs. A bad one maybe a hundred times. Sometimes 3/4 filled is as much as I can get it, then it just clicks back off instantly. I have, of course, tried every variation, angle and whatever I can think of. I have to make special plans to put gas in the car becuase it either takes so long or is too much to put passengers through.

Other QP owners - does this happen to you?
Matt - there must be something that can be done?

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just filled up my 2006 QP SportGT for the first time today and no problems with pump click offs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Are you trying the same brand or gas station each time? I just can't get on with the pumps in the BP station next to my office and get the "click-off" dozens of times. However when I go to the AMOCO station by my house, its a case of stuff in the nozzle, pull the trigger and watch the numbers spin...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gavin01 said:
Are you trying the same brand or gas station each time? I just can't get on with the pumps in the BP station next to my office and get the "click-off" dozens of times. However when I go to the AMOCO station by my house, its a case of stuff in the nozzle, pull the trigger and watch the numbers spin...
I've tried different brands. I think there is a relationship to state. The car lives in Idaho in the summer and its much easier to fill up there; although still a pain (and cheaper and higher octane). In California, where the car lives in the winter is where it is most frustrating, with all that vapor recovery stuff.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Make sure the car is completely shut off and key out of the ignition before you hit the button for the fuel door. There is an interlock built in that if you open the fuel door with the car running or key in the ignition it can create a click-off situation like you've described.

If this doesn't solve it, have your shop check for codes related to the fuel evap\vacuum system. These cars don't use a return on the fuel injection setup, so the pressurization \ vacuum setup is a bit different than most.

- Mark

·
Registered
102 Posts
thks for the info mark. i have had it happen on a couple of occasions.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
maserati of minneapolis said:
Make sure the car is completely shut off and key out of the ignition before you hit the button for the fuel door. There is an interlock built in that if you open the fuel door with the car running or key in the ignition it can create a click-off situation like you've described.

If this doesn't solve it, have your shop check for codes related to the fuel evap\vacuum system. These cars don't use a return on the fuel injection setup, so the pressurization \ vacuum setup is a bit different than most.

- Mark
Thanks Mark, I think I do have the key out when I hit the gas flap button, but I'll pay attention to that.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maserati of minneapolis said:

- Mark
Thanks Mark, I think I do have the key out when I hit the gas flap button, but its kind of an unconscious process, so I'll pay attention to that.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
squid said:
I've had that problem maybe two or three times, but not usually. Clean / replace the fuel filter maybe?
This problem used to drive me nuts on my Viper as well and has nothing to do with the fuel filter.

What's going on is the gas pumps pressure sensor is getting faked out into believing the tank is full when it's not, so it clicks off. The gas pumps were designed for cars with a big tank and a direct pipe to the filler cap (i.e. very simple mechanism). Modern cars pressurize the gas tanks and recirculate the vapors in such a way as to sometimes modify the pressure characteristics even with the cap removed. If you catch it in this mode, it's frustrating as hell!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have the problem sporadically with the Spyder. If removing and repositioning the pump handle doesn't cure it, I've always had success turning the pump handle upside down (trigger pointing toward the sky).

FWIW the same thing happens with Porsches...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ken,

No problems with filling up my '05 QP, also in CA. Occasionally happens with the NSX, but seems like some gas pumps are more sensative then others.

Marc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts