Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 QP Sport will frequently backfire through the exhaust on an upshift.
Is this common for these cars or is it something that can or should be fixed?
I'm more than a little concerned about consequenses to the exhaust system if it continues.
tw

·
Registered
909 Posts
What kind of backfires are we talking about? Does it sound like gunshots, or just a bit louder than normal exhaust? These are probably normal exhaust pops and nothing to worry about. Can you get a recording of it at all?

Check out this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sslaog4-VqI from one of the other members, who has Tubi exhuast (so the pops are a bit louder). There are a few pops on there

·
Registered
722 Posts
These things are made to pop and burble a little, to remind you that you are not driving a Mercedes. Shoudn't be any loud bangs though.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i love those pops and burbles.
and you get addicted to flipping that left pedal every stop light to make sure they are still there ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, I ride a Ducati, so I know plenty about pops and burbles.
The burbles are great, but the pops can be quite loud, more like a large caliber gunshot inside the exhaust pipe under certain conditions.
Sounds like it could eventualy cause damage.
tw

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'd check it out with a dealer. Shouldn't be any bangs, just rumbles. Your motor may have a plug out, or is running rich for some reason. You could overheat a catalyst in either case.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My Coupe has a custom exhaust without cats or mufflers. I hear the exhaust in great detail, and get gunshot backfires when downshifting or letting off the gas, but never upon upshifting. Given my experience your case is puzzling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts