Maserati Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was wondering what you guys would think about this 2002 Coupe Camio Corsa that I was interested in. It is listed at $29,900 at Ferrari of Denver with 31,450 miles on it. Do you think it is a reasonable purchase? It has a F1 transmission with Skyhook. The car also appears to be pretty loaded with options.

I have been trying to find out if there were any real problems with the 02's, but all I have found is that the transmission is a bit grabby (at least you know when the gears change ;) ). Does anybody know of anything else.

The carfax seems to check out (but who knows how true that is) and the pictures I have seen show what looks like a well kept up car. I would go look at it, but it is in Denver and I am in San Antonio.

Also, does anybody know of a non-dealer mechanic in the South Texas are. I wouldn't mind driving to Austin or Houston if the shop is good enough.

Thanks for any help,
Josh.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Upgraded wheels....

Josh:

I notice that this car has GranSport wheels. The OEM stock wheels for the 2002 were (for the most part) multi-spoke and 18 ". The GS are 19". Check the VIN# with that dealership; they should give you all the history they have and should also be able to tell you what other Ferrari/Maserati dealerships worked on the car over the years. Contact those other agencies for additional info on the car. Also, do check out that Pre-Purchase List that Niteroi sent you; it is the gold standard for buyer due diligence. Good Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both Niteroi and Carmine for your replies. I will use that check list for sure, and I asked the dealer for more info on after market accessories and he said the only two it had was the grand sport rims (as mentioned) and a Fuchs exhaust system which apparently sounds amazing. :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
That used to be my car. I had it for about three years and still miss it after letting it go a few months ago. I treated it very well and you can't go wrong. It had a few quirks, but nothing major. It was nearly bulletproof over my years of ownership. FOD is a great shop and did all the work on that car during my ownership.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
That used to be my car. I had it for about three years and still miss it after letting it go a few months ago. I treated it very well and you can't go wrong. It had a few quirks, but nothing major. It was nearly bulletproof over my years of ownership. FOD is a great shop and did all the work on that car during my ownership.

I'll vouch for macadoo on that one! I bought my 2002 coupe because I saw how nice his was! He works just down the street from me and I used to watch him drive it by all the time!

Also, John and the guys at FoD are top drawer, have had nothing but fantastic service with them...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really small world :).

Macadoo, what did you think of the clutch wear? That is the only part I am worried about since I have heard that you have to replace the clutch about once a year (with daily driving). Did you experience this? I still think that clutches should last for much longer than a year or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Paulc, I just check out that link you posted. Thanks for that. I an assuming they do Maserati's since they do Ferrari's (and because you posted it here on the Maserati forum ;) ). Do you personally service you car there, or do you just know about it from you love of European automobiles?

·
Registered
69 Posts

Macadoo, what did you think of the clutch wear? That is the only part I am worried about since I have heard that you have to replace the clutch about once a year (with daily driving). Did you experience this? I still think that clutches should last for much longer than a year or so.
There are many of us who have gotten a lot better life out of their clutches then what you mention. I have 27,700 miles on my original clutch. My brother has more than 30K on his. Just like a pedal operated clutch there is a correct way to drive the car and extend the life of the clutch. Sounds like you found a good example, go for it!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey Paulc, I just check out that link you posted. Thanks for that. I an assuming they do Maserati's since they do Ferrari's (and because you posted it here on the Maserati forum ;) ). Do you personally service you car there, or do you just know about it from you love of European automobiles?
I know David from back when I lived in Austin. We became friends before I knew he was in car business. He has been a great resource to the Ferrari club and to friends of mine. You can check around and you will not find a bad word to be said about him. I do not take my car there since I live in Houston but if I were back in Austin I would use him for amy Maserati Ferrari or Porsche work.
If you get to Austin at least check out his shop, he almost always has 2-4 interesting cars there.

·
Registered
65 Posts

No kidding on the small world comment. I'd never buy a used performance car without doing some car forum research anymore. Great stuff. See millie162 post on page 2 for the opposite of this thread.

I had this car for three years without a clutch replacement. Don't know if the clutch was original or not. The only thing I noticed was the occassional squeal under hard takeoff when cold which I know happens to other cars. This happened for probably half my ownership without any problems. I had clutch wear measured once, probably about a year ago, and if I remember correctly wear was less than 50%. I'll take a look tomorrow to see if I still have the paperwork.

Honestly, I still really miss the car. If I had the garage space I'd still have it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow, a great price!!!

I concur with the other posts...check the history of the coupe' and have Fof D or another Maserati dealership check it out. If everything checks out to your satisfaction, it is a super value. I have owned a Coupe' since it was new in 2002. I have over 40k miles on it for before retirement it was my daily driver. I have since had it modified using FD components and a Tubi exhaust system in the last 2 years. Now it gets around town a couple of days a week, an occasional track day, and last week I took it on a 4 hour trip. This was a super daily driver and now a very satisfying track day car...in the straights I have kept up with a Porsche GT2 (it does get me through in the corners, though!). I have kept very good care of the car, always garaged and washed/waxed every week or two and it has been fun and given me great service. I hope you have fun!:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Found two receipts referring to clutch wear. 1st one at about 21,000 miles showing 75% of clutch left. 2nd receipt at 29,775 miles showing clutch wear at 37%. I'm assuming that means a measurement of 12% clutch loss in approximately 9,000 miles. I know the clutch wear measurements are not very accurate, but it sounds like pretty good news.

By the way, besides the Fuchs exhaust and the Gransport wheels, I had also put in an upgraded air filter, Denso iridium plugs, and 35% tint.

GrndLkNatv, I still have a wandering eye enticing me to return to the Italian brands. FoD has had some sweet deals on 360s lately, but I still need to figure out my garage space problem. I'm guessing within the next year or so, I'll have a close relative move within a few blocks of my house and with him a new parking space for me. Can't wait.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Macadoo:
I told you not to get rid of your car! : - ) Hey, why not wait until the F430 prices come down a little more this coming spring and go with the F430...
I myself am not going to get rid of my 02, just hang on to it and then get the new GranTurismo Sport or the F430 when I go for another one. Oh what I would give for the 430 Scud sitting on the floor over there at FoD..
If the weather is good I will probably drive mine down to the office here on Tuesday or Wednesday...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everybody for the replies! They are really helpful.

Now is the hard part of deciding on the car, or on a Spyder?? Having had a beautiful day today being in the 70s with clear skies really makes me want to get a convertible. It also doesn't help that prices keep falling with more cars coming up for sale as the time moves on. But then again, I do love that bordeaux leather seating. :) Though decisions. :/

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was looking at the most beautiful 2002 spyder for sale in Naples, FL. I called my local (Ft.Lauderdale) dealer service dept. The entire service tech dept told me to buy a 2004 or later. They said Maserati worked out several probs with the intro 2002 by model year 2004. However, if the seller can show that every recall and upgrade was performed then you may have a great car at a great price. I bought a 2004 coupe with 12,000 miles. I found a local independent mechanic and he was impressed with the condition of the car. But he did confirm that a 2002 was not the car to buy. Right now, with the depressed market, you should look for a later model, low mileage, documented service record, reliable local service available. All said, what a car. Never out of style, always ready to fly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi camisatx did you ever find your spyder, by mere coincidence I read your post I am also in SA and I know there is a 2002 spyder cambiocorsa blk/blk 30 K miles available here.
I will pm my information so you can contact me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts