Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow QP owners. I have a 2006 with 38k miles that pulls right. It’s very annoying, and even happens when the road has no pitch. It was like that when I got the car 5 yrs ago @ 28k miles. I tried numerous alignments from different shops, two different sets of tires, front lower control arm bushings on both sides, and had the corner balance checked (50/50 cross weight). It seems better if someone is sitting directly behind me with no one else in the car, otherwise nothing else seems to have much effect... any ideas?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Cross weight? are we setting up a Nascar? Two things? has it been wrecked? and is it a hard pull or soft? Hard pull is you take your hands off the wheel and your ditch bound....Soft pull is generally stays straight but generally works it's way to a direction consistently.....Jason

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jason, Thanks for your response. To answer your question about the type of pull, when driving down the freeway I’m fighting the car a little to keep it going strait and if I let go of the wheel it will gradually go right, the more crown on the road the more obvious the issue. On a road that’s pitched to the left, the car will mostly go strait when letting go of the wheel. I have never had an accident during my ownership, but I know there’s paint work and filler in the right rear panel (according to a paint thickness gauge).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve had several shops do it and even the local dealer, San Francisco Maserati. Would it be wise to have the chassis checked on a frame rack?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here’s the most recent:

All specs are in degrees
Front camber: left -.4. right -.6
Front caster: left 3.8 right 4.0
Front toe: left -.07 right -.07

Rear camber left -1.3 right -1.4
Rear toe. left .15 right .16

Steer ahead 0.0
Thrust angle 0.0

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Best advice...Find some people in your local area that road race cars...They'll have an alignment shop that everyone uses for setting up track cars...This is the place everyone in Atlanta uses....Someone like this...Have them look at it.....Jason

https://www.granturismoeast.com/

·
Registered
132 Posts
Do you have the adjustable strut perches or fixed? Also the different tires you tried.. were they different brands with different tread patterns. My wifes car pulled to the right with one brand of directional tires (4 new tires with two alignments) finally put a pair different non directional up front and it went straight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not sure if this would affect your pull to the right, but has your car had the rear tie rod assembly recall performed? If you’ve had it at the dealer, I’m guessing yes, but they don’t always check for outstanding recalls or software updates.

Report Date: May 13, 2013
Campaign Number: 13V196000
Component: SUSPENSION:REAR

Summary: Maserati North America, Inc. (Maserati) is recalling certain model year 2005-2008 Quattroporte, 2008 Granturismo, and 2008 Alfa Romeo 8C vehicles. The rear tie rod assemblies may have insufficient anti-corrosion material applied, allowing them to weaken and possibly fail.

Consequence Summary: Failure of the tie rods may result in a loss of vehicle control and increase the risk of a crash.

Corrective Summary: Maserati will notify owners and dealers will replace the tie rod assemblies. The recall began on June 27, 2013. Customers may contact Maserati at 1-877-696-2737. Maserati's recall campaign number is 205.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have the adjustable strut perches or fixed? Also the different tires you tried.. were they different brands with different tread patterns. My wifes car pulled to the right with one brand of directional tires (4 new tires with two alignments) finally put a pair different non directional up front and it went straight.
It’s the skyhook suspension with adjustable perches. As for tires, I have the base model with 18” wheels, so tires options are very limited. The first set were Conti Contact Sport DW, and now I have the new model Extreme Contact Sport -it’s an asymmetrical tire.. The only other option that I’m aware of are the original equipment Pirellis or some all season Michelins (the AS3). Any further thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure if this would affect your pull to the right, but has your car had the rear tie rod assembly recall performed? If you’ve had it at the dealer, I’m guessing yes, but they don’t always check for outstanding recalls or software updates.

Report Date: May 13, 2013
Campaign Number: 13V196000
Component: SUSPENSION:REAR

Summary: Maserati North America, Inc. (Maserati) is recalling certain model year 2005-2008 Quattroporte, 2008 Granturismo, and 2008 Alfa Romeo 8C vehicles. The rear tie rod assemblies may have insufficient anti-corrosion material applied, allowing them to weaken and possibly fail.

Consequence Summary: Failure of the tie rods may result in a loss of vehicle control and increase the risk of a crash.

Corrective Summary: Maserati will notify owners and dealers will replace the tie rod assemblies. The recall began on June 27, 2013. Customers may contact Maserati at 1-877-696-2737. Maserati's recall campaign number is 205.
Yes, I got the recall done, and after the dealer alignment it still had the annoying mild pull to the right. Several alignments later, no change.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
What is a mild pull? If you take your hands off the wheel then how far do you have to drive before it pulls itself into the ditch? You do recognize that roads have crown in them...The center of the road is higher in the middle than the edge so the water runs off.. Just throwing it out there as most cars will lead slightly to the right just because of the road leaning that way...Jason

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can feel the pull all the time while driving, and it will even occur when the road has a crown going the other direction. If the crown of severe enough the car will drive strait. If I have someone sit behind me, the pull is less.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would guess that maybe someone mis-adjusted one or more of your adjustable perches, but the corner weights normally would be off. Double check your ride height to make sure they are all pretty close to each other. Also make sure the part numbers of your struts (side to side) match. Its possible a used strut could have been installed at some point with a different spring rate in it.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
For whatever it is worth, I had the perception of a very mild right-drift on my 2012 QP5 GTS. I could not determine if it was a crown issue as Jason described. I have not observed any abnormal wear patterns on the front tires. I mentioned it to my local Maserati dealership and they swapped left side tires to right, and vice versa. I swear that remedied the problem. I also purchased new Pirelli Sotto Zero snows last year on FD rims, and have not observed any drift whatsoever. I know the OP has used different tires...I'm just reporting my own experience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts