Maserati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://youtu.be/DyY7f-juS-I

https://youtu.be/fGRae2fWaug

For the life of me I cannot figure this out. It's not the belt, I've changed all auxilary belts (water pump and the one behind it). I've tried using the water method, sound stays no matter where you spray the water. I tried using a car stethoscope to identify the noise, nothing, all bearings sound fine.

Where's this chirp coming from and what part needs replacing?

I am grateful for any help

https://youtu.be/DyY7f-juS-I

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the exact same thing. Replaced my 2 belts at the start of the summer and towards the end of the summer it was intermittently making the noise just like yours

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Idler pulley bearing. It is sealed.
Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it. I don't know why our last posts were removed, but I will definitely remove both pulley idlers, clean bearings and grease them. I hope that will do the trick.

·
Super Moderator
3,304 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know why our last posts were removed,...
There are no posts showing as deleted, edited, moved, or removed.
Sure did get deleted...perhaps a glitch. I attached a picture (the one I'm attaching again here). I asked which pulley. The gentleman shortly afterwards said it can be either of them but that in his case it was the black arrow...that he removed it, greased it with wd40 and never heard the sound again. Roughly 30 minutes to an hour later, those posts disappeared.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,304 Posts
Yup, really weird. Thanks for re-posting, that's good info. I can see modifications to posts/threads, but nothing here. I know that at some point very early in the morning (here) there was something going on with the site but I don't know what and we weren't informed of any scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I removed the black arrowed (in the diagram above) pulley. Popped open the seals on both sides, cleaned it with carb cleaner and greased it with bearing grease. Noise was faint at first but soon after started up again, it looks like I will have to replace that pulley. There was some resistance when I would spin the pulley once it was out.

I looked at the red arrowed pulley, I removed the screw, but the pulley would not move out of place. I figured not to bother with it given the circumstances of the other pulley.

·
Registered
671 Posts
If the bearing is bad you have no choice but to replace the pulley as it is not serviceable. My bearing felt fine so I reinstalled it....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem solved.

First, try to locate the issue using the water spray method. Spray on the belt, if noise disappears temporarily or diminishes, it's an alignment issue, belt wear issue or belt contamination. If the noise gets worst, it's a tension issue. If noise does not change, it's likely a pulley issue.

In my case, noise did not change. I replaced all auxilary belts anyways. I used a gator back (4060615) and Maserati stretch belt for the water pump belt (214271), they looked like they needed replacing.

Second, I tried reconditioning the idler pulley (227894). They are sealed, so you need to pop the plastic, use carb cleaner, then grease it. In my case, nothing changed. I still replaced the pulley with a new one since there was some wear and tear on the bearing.

The issue I had was with the gasket on the crankshaft pulley. I've never had or heard of this issue, but that's what it was in my case. I took lithium grease, and greased the inner side of the pulley, as shown in the picture. Noise disappeared as I was greasing (I had the car on, and was greasing with a long needle). Noise is completely gone now.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem not solved. Here are videos of the crank pulley silent, but with one or two chirps.

https://youtu.be/5NIQxuPf5pk

https://youtu.be/fnzPNHU6GWc

Noise is slowly creeping back, progressively getting back to what it was. It's only there when idling, and engine is warm. If I grease again the inner part of the pulley, noise disappears. It's looking like I need a new harmonic balancer perhaps?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm looking at the diagram and spoke with mechanics, nobody sees any reason why the noise disappears when the inner pulley is greased. Considering my circumstances, many are pointing to the slight lack of tension, caused by a bad pulley tensioner.

My understanding of the issue is that the crankshaft delivers pulsating force as the a piston fires and goes down. That pulsing force is softened by the harmonic balancer and a damper in the tensioner. A bad tensioner can cause intermittent squeak, like mine. I will change the tensioner and report back.

This dam noise is brutal. I'm changing so many parts.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
have dealt with two of these recently. it's the tensioner.
I ordered the pulley tension (224178). In the meantime, I'm continuing to study this entire system to better understand it. There isn't much behind the harmonic balancer that can cause that chirp (see picture). There's just a gasket. The grease I sprayed may have been spun off and landed on other parts, such as the pulley tensioner (which is not very far in distance). After I sprayed the grease, a line of grease appeared in the environment. It can't be the crankshaft pulley, focusing on the pulley tensioner for the moment (as suggest by many). I will report back eventually when I get it and install it (it will be a long while before I can do that).

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Curious, any resolution?
I stored the vehicle for winter before I got the new pulley tensioner. I put that project on hold until summer. I will report back eventually (probably a couple of months from now).

At the moment, several of us think it's the pulley tensioner.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Confirmed it was the pulley tensioner. I believe the explanations I provide along this thread are accurate. Thanks everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts