Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say what you will but I think these are cool! I installed these LED puddle lights with the Maserati trident. These can be found on eBay in various formats. The size wasn't correct so I had to modify them using the existing housing but still.... Worth the $20 in my opinion and adds a unique element.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking great! How did you modify the exist housing?
The lens housing that came with the aftermarket unit was too small in every dimension despite the eBay listing saying it would fit our GTs(no huge surprise there). So, with a bit of trepidation, I cut the entire bulb housing apart from the OEM until only the original outer frame and clip remained. The projector lens slipped right into the original frame snugly and I hot glued it a bit for good measure. Rather annoying that it required cannibalizing the OEM but the end result was easy enough and clean.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking great! How did you modify the exist housing?
The lens housing that came with the aftermarket unit was too small in every dimension despite the eBay listing saying it would fit our GTs(no huge surprise there). So, with a bit of trepidation, I cut the entire bulb housing apart from the OEM until only the original outer frame and clip remained. The projector lens slipped right into the original frame snugly and I hot glued it a bit for good measure. Rather annoying that it required cannibalizing the OEM but the end result was easy enough and clean.
Thank you so much! I'm thinking to get those too.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here are the pics showing what I cut off the OEM housing. I also cut off the small plastic clips from the aftermarket and removed the OEM lens so the aftermarket bit could slide through and rest on the black frame of the OEM. You may not have the fitment issue I did depending on other manufacturers but in case you do....

The clear plastic with the projector is the aftermarket, the black surround and clip are part of the OEM.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,858 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
I absolutely love this and was thinking exactly the same when I open the door of my wife's Evoque last week.

Alas I am too much of a pussy to try and alter OEM bits and shoehorn them into my 2014 MC ...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I assure you it is easier than youd think with the proper tools. Took about 30 seconds with a dremel and disc to cut away the housing and pop out the OEM lens. A bit more time was taken to clean up the cuts with an xacto and slide it in. Its all very apparent once you take a look at it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I assure you it is easier than youd think with the proper tools. Took about 30 seconds with a dremel and disc to cut away the housing and pop out the OEM lens. A bit more time was taken to clean up the cuts with an xacto and slide it in. Its all very apparent once you take a look at it.
Hey make me an offer for two ready to plug an play!

Seriously...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey make me an offer for two ready to plug an play!

Seriously...
While I appreciate the offer, I'm not partial to working on someone else's baby. The mod was a success and to my satisfaction but I would care to risk breakage/disappointment for someone else.

Buy the lights, grab your Dremel (a garage essential) and go to town. Like I said, the mod steps are really quite evident and quick. If you find the task too much (very doubtful) simply return them. If something breaks (also doubtful if you pay attention) the lights are cheap. No big deal.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Here are the pics showing what I cut off the OEM housing. I also cut off the small plastic clips from the aftermarket and removed the OEM lens so the aftermarket bit could slide through and rest on the black frame of the OEM. You may not have the fitment issue I did depending on other manufacturers but in case you do....

The clear plastic with the projector is the aftermarket, the black surround and clip are part of the OEM.
I have just ordered the same.

I can't understand the third photo. I assume that the plastic black trim is the OEM cover? I can't understand where did you use it?

Edit. No worries. I see the cutting around. ;)

So, the cable connector is the same OEM? I hope there is enough room for the extended part projector when the door closes (in order to avoid door sill "maserati" panel scratching. )

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The connector is NOT the same. They use a pin system. You insert the pins into the OEM connector. Requires a little umph but they slide in and I electrical taped the connection. There is plenty of space between the sill and the lower part of the door that there is no issue whatsoever. Once set in the OEM housing "frame" the final product looks great and doesn't sit any higher than the original. Let me know how it goes!

****MAKE SURE YOU ORIENT THE IMAGE PROPERLY BEFORE YOU GLUE THEM IN PLACE**
I plugged them into the socket and drew little arrows on the back projectors with a sharpie so I knew which projector goes in which door and the orientation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Say what you will but I think these are cool! I installed these LED puddle lights with the Maserati trident. These can be found on eBay in various formats. The size wasn't correct so I had to modify them using the existing housing but still.... Worth the $20 in my opinion and adds a unique element.
So I bought the same thing and went to get it installed and the installer said in his opinion its a bad idea, that he has seen quite a fair bit of the same type of puddle lights come in and they never last more than 3-4 months. Says after 3-4 months the bulbs in them die and you can barely see the puddle lights again. so I am going to wait for yours to see how long it last before i start tearing and gluing things together. Will probably hit you up after 4 months to see if you your bulbs have died yet. But I do like them though.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts