Maserati Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, hi and thanks for your time in advance,

So I need some info from someone with a bit more exotic car experience than myself. I'm shopping for a new car, looking at M3 coupes, and stumble across 2002-03 Maserati Coupes at similar prices to the M3s I'm looking at. This seems like an incredible steal... so I get to wondering, what's the actual cost of ownership of these cars? Can't find much info on them on the internet.

So, as a young mechanical/electrical engineer (and I mention this because I am a born and raised Detroit kid, and have done all the regular maintenance on my cars myself up until now), would I be getting myself in over my head choosing a Coupe? I imagine parts cost are a bit higher than you run of the mill car, but how much? Also anything else that would be beneficial? Cost to insure? How easy are these to do basic maintenance and work on?

Also, moving to long beach, ca in a couple months... anyone have any experience with places of service in the LA area?

Thanks!

Derek

·
Registered
35 Posts
cost of ownership

I have an 04 coupe. Bought it for same reason you're looking at... reasonable entry to an italian exotic. Great car, amazing performance for the price. That said, you can search the forum and find all kinds of rates, but the most truthful I've found so far is about $1 to $1.50 a mile.

$250-$300 oil change is expected annually. Other parts are more than your average car. OBDII codes don't align exactly, so sometimes you still need the dealer to diagnosis issues.

I've had my share of Italian, German, American, and Japanese. nothing delivers the passion like the Italians. You're moving to LA and every other car will be a BMW or Mercedes. The Maser will stand out.

Best of luck, and I highly recommend the coupe over a commonplace beemer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Thanks! Very helpful.

How often do you find yourself with "issues"? I'm not scared of oil changes and other regular maintenance; hoping to be able to do that myself.

I guess my fear is having reliability issues that add up to cost more than what I'll pay for the car itself.

Derek

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Derek, do a search here in the forum and you'll find answers for all your questions. It will be more productive.:)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Derekkasier:

I repeat this often. 5 year old Masers may have dropped to Toyota Camry prices but the services and parts still command Ferrari prices. After all, Ferrari built the car. FM of Orange County is one of the better dealers down off of Harbor and Baker and 25 minute from Long Beach. My car is due the 6K and two year "all fluids" replacement service. I have been quoted $1750. (To all SoCal based folks, Mitch says they have been working hard to get routine services down to four days. A much improved time frame than the 'ol two weeks if you're lucky scenario of years past)

The biggest price relief for this cars, is that the engines don't require cam drive belt replacements - that is a savings of $10K every three years as compared to the Ferrari world. But the other major Ferrari expense is also our own - clutch wear. Replacement is $4500+ every 20K miles or so.

Insurance has too many variables to quote a price, but my Maser is cheaper than my 2007 BMW because it is used as a weekend car.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Thanks! Very helpful.

How often do you find yourself with "issues"? I'm not scared of oil changes and other regular maintenance; hoping to be able to do that myself.

I guess my fear is having reliability issues that add up to cost more than what I'll pay for the car itself.

Derek
It happens. A clutch is going to run $4K plus and they don't last long. If you drive hard the cats are a problem and tend to fail (another big job on an aftermarket basis and $6K or more OEM). I have had lots of issues with my 02 sensors and the car has been in the shop for two months waiting for a new ECU (probably a $3K job).

These cars are a great price going in and are probably more reliable than a Ferrari but like any exotic you need to be prepared to pay dearly if the car needs work.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Very true. Buying it is the easiest part...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts