Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I bought a set of brake pads from Formula Dynamics and installed them myself and they were very very squeaky you could hear the squeak from a block away. I then found out I needed to install an anti squeak paste on the back of the pad, I reinstalled and it is still very squaky when braking at slow speeds. I have decided to throw the towel and take it to the dealer as when i called my service advisor he told me that to install them you need to also use a special copper compound they get from maserati. ANyone have experience with this? Is this a coumpound I could get myself? I asked the dealer (The Collection) to sell me some compound and they claimed they couldnt do it. Is this the pads? WOuld it make a difference if I buy a new set of brembo pads instead of the formula dynamics or are they similar? Any help is greatly apreciated

I looked at my rotors and they looked fine and when it had the brembo pads it was only a little bit squeaky.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just did my rear pads 2 weeks ago. Bought it from Formula Dynamics and I took my rotors to my mechanic so he can cut them. After that installed the pads and didn't have any issues at all, didn't use and powder(I was a mechanic for 25 years and never heard of this B.S.- looks like the dealer is playing with you). I think that the problem is that you didn't cut the rotors. Even if the rotor looks perfect it become glossy and that is why you have the squeeky sound, in my opinion. I think that the auto parts stores sell some kind of paste to stop the noise.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Also installed rear pads from formula dynamics, very very loud squeek when pulling up. Tried the paste, but not much difference, the stock pads have thin metal shims where the past would go, those limit the squeal of stock pad, however, FD pads have a thinker housing, therefore, the shims dont fit.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think the dealer is just referring to Copaslip (sp?) which you can buy at any auto parts store. Won't make any difference though if your problem is what I decribe below.

If you just did a pad slam without turning the rotors then I would bet that the noise you are hearing is from vibration of the pads against the uneven surface of the rotor. Most pronounced as you come to a stop when there is less pressure against the pads.

The noise should slowly go away as the pads bed against the rotor. Front pads will bed faster and in my case took about 300-400 miles (I used EBC pads).

I suspect all your dealer would do is turn the rotors but the problem is that the stock QP rotors tend to wear quickly and a lot of shops won't turn them. At $500 - $800 a pop for rear rotors (depending on whether you have the sport package or not) plus labour, you may just want to live with the noise for a while.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As I said before, my regular mechanic cut the rotors(the minimum needed), charged me $50 and they are perfect! Also, I used the SAME shims that I had originaly, cleaned them and put back when installed the new pads. If you didn't use them, that will be a reason for the noise. The shims fitted perfectly with the new pads. My brakes never made even the smallest squeek, and I didn't use any paste or chemical at all.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
FD pads come with a backing material on the pad so the backing plate is not necessary, however it can be used and should fit in without a problem so long as the calipers are spread properly.

You do need to use a good anti-squeal compound and as others have said, if your rotors are worn or uneven, it doesn't matter what pads you use... they'll squeal. Eventually it may diminish as the pads shape to the rotor but either way you would need to turn or replace the rotors.

Squealing comes from vibration, either from the backing plate ( which is why you need to use an anti squeal compound against the back of the pad, the copper compound will work also) or the pads against the rotors, which is usually caused by uneven surfaces or something on the pads themselves.

Have you followed the break-in procedure? It's important that you remove the old material from your previous pads off the surface of your rotors, this can also cause a squeal as well as other performance problems http://www.formuladynamics.com/products/4200_streetpads/documentation/4200padinstall.htm

I can tell you that the pads work well on the QP. With that said there will be a squeal from time to time with any performance pad. The Maserati's are specifically known for having a problem with reverse and using the brakes.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
340 Posts
As I said before, my regular mechanic cut the rotors(the minimum needed), charged me $50 and they are perfect! Also, I used the SAME shims that I had originaly, cleaned them and put back when installed the new pads. If you didn't use them, that will be a reason for the noise. The shims fitted perfectly with the new pads. My brakes never made even the smallest squeek, and I didn't use any paste or chemical at all.
You just have to make sure that you check the minimum thickness of the rotors. I have found that normal wear on the rotors makes them dicey for even 1 turn sometimes. If you cut below the minimum thickness you risk warping the rotors when they heat up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the front and rear pad replaced with FD pad. I did turn the rotor. So far so good. Seems less squeal than orginal.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Certainly good feedback from Paradon. Usually when you take the rotor in they'll tell you if it has enough life left to turn however they may now know the spec on the Maserati Rotors, you may need to contact the dealership to learn the allowable tolerances.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great Information, I did not turn the rotors so I will take them in to get turned. If I dont turn the rotors and drive it for a couple of thousand miles will the pads bed in to the grooves of the disc and the would the squeaking reduce?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Great Information, I did not turn the rotors so I will take them in to get turned. If I dont turn the rotors and drive it for a couple of thousand miles will the pads bed in to the grooves of the disc and the would the squeaking reduce?
If there vibration of the pads against the rotor is the only source of your squeal then driving for a few hundred miles and using Jeff's bed in procedure should take care of the noise. The pads will of course wear a little faster with the uneven rotor and your breaking performance will be dimished as the pads bed so I would never do all 4 wheels at once without turning the rotors properly.

The minimum thickness is usally stamped on the inside of most rotors. A good shop will check the tolerance before they turn the rotors. If turning the rotors is an option, I would spend the extra time and little bit of money to take that step. If the rotors are badly worn or right at the minimum thickness then I would replace them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts