Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am picking up an 05 QP next week with 12k mi. I have read some posts about the proper way to drive a QP in manual to avoid clutch ware and generally improving the driving experience.

Since this is my first experience with an F1 style vehicle I am excited but was wondering if there is an article or thread on proper drive of that system

Thx

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Hi there, congrats on the car :)

My pointers from my experience with the F1 transmission in the GranSport:

1. Avoid reversing as much as possible

2. Drive the car in sport mode all the time

3. Don't use the "auto" function (eg. use the paddles)

4. Try avoid changing gears when going up ramps/slopes.

5. Try to minimise feathering the throttle

A great addition is the FormulaDynamics' Drive by Wire Enhancement Module, which improves the performance of the clutch massively and also helps preserve it. I have it in my car and it's fantastic!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Plan on driving it in sport / manual one of the reasons I am buying it :) When you say feathering the throttle do you mean stop and go type driving or inconsistent speeds at the lower end?

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Plan on driving it in sport / manual one of the reasons I am buying it :) When you say feathering the throttle do you mean stop and go type driving or inconsistent speeds at the lower end?

Thanks again.
I mean, giving it very little gas on walking pace traffic. Best to let the car ahead of you build a bit of distance and quickly catch up to it.

·
Registered
134 Posts

I got a workshop manual and service bulletins for QP from eBay for $30. Most of the service bulletins were for vin #'s from '05. Mostly small improvement of Misc things such as door hardware, reverse knob, bigger mud guards, etc. If you want to PM me, I will email you bulletins. Look into it right away if you have warranty as all campaigns are free from dealer.
I have F1 experience from my '04 F360, and can say I was a little dissappointed until I got Formula Dynamics DBW

·
Registered
250 Posts
"Drive it like you stole it!";)
Having driven your car briefly in Ojai a couple of weeks ago, I can confirm that it's impossible to drive that thing of beauty any other way.

I concur with the comments above. Seems that in essence, quick clutch engagement and minimized slippage are the keys. The tips above, and the DBW all increase those keys. I plan on having the DBW fitted

My understanding with reverse is that the clutch never fully engages, hence the specific problem with increased wear

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Dave, it was a pleasure meeting you. Let me know when you coming up north and we go for another ride. You're going to be very happy with the DBW. I had to disconnect mine for a few days and my car felt horrible! Once you try the DBW you see how bad the OEM shifting is. Actually, not only sifting but the power delivery, it kicks in way sooner and harder with the DBW, it turns the car into a different animal.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Believe it or not, I don't think anybody had a camera! I forgot mine.

I think Ronen's son took some with his cellphone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts